PDA

View Full Version : remington 870 synthetic stock preferences

wonderdog451
June 01, 2012, 22:02
If someone is contemplating replacing the wood stock on their 870 with a synthetic one, which brand of synthetic stock would you use? It seems that the two main contenders are the Hogue overmolded or the speedfeed sport stock.:bow:

STGThndr
June 02, 2012, 18:02
I picked up an 870 with the hideous pistol grip in a trade. Found a "Remington"-brand replacement stock at Walmart, of all places.. full-size buttstock and fore-arm which fit right on the gun, transforming it from a mall-ninja to a useful patrol shotgun.

GOVT1911
June 04, 2012, 11:14
The Speedfeed stock that I had on my Mossy 590a1 use to spit out the 2 shells stored in the outside side shell holder thingy when I fired. I couldn't tell any difference between mine and my buddy's, and his never popped shells out??????

Other than that, I liked it well enough, but then, the whole point of having a Speedfeed stock is to be able to have 4 extra rounds handy, right???

jeffrey
June 04, 2012, 14:42
My police Magnum 870 has the stock birch stock and fore end. While I'd rather have walnut just for looks, the birch is ok. Seems a lot more rugged than the synthetics I've seen.

Mebsuta
June 04, 2012, 17:03
I was about to say. Keep your wooden stock, because you might want to go back to it after experimenting with the synthetic. Somehow the guns with wood stocks are less punishing than the hollow synthetics if you're going to shoot a lot.

I used a Remington synthetic off a police gun for a little bit and replaced it with birch. If I try another synthetic, its going to be the plain Speedfeed without the magazine.

SteelonSteel
June 04, 2012, 17:18
I was about to say. Keep your wooden stock, because you might want to go back to it after experimenting with the synthetic. Somehow the guns with wood stocks are less punishing than the hollow synthetics if you're going to shoot a lot.

I used a Remington synthetic off a police gun for a little bit and replaced it with birch. If I try another synthetic, its going to be the plain Speedfeed without the magazine.

I'm another who feels the wood stock delivers the recoil in a friendlier manner. Don't know why a positraction works, it just does.

I actually prefer the youth/tactical length stocks.

kotengu
June 04, 2012, 21:31

X3 - I've tried just about every synthetic on my 870 and always come back to the birch. It was easy to custom cut to fit me better as well, and feels like it could deliver a buttstroke with more authority than plastic too.

STGThndr
June 04, 2012, 22:07
SteelonSteel sez:
I actually prefer the youth/tactical length stocks.

I sez:
You must have the proverbial short arms of a Scotsman!

I used the wood for many many years.. still have shotguns with wood. They are not my "business" guns. An 870 and Mossie are set up for duty and have performed well. If you lug that thing the weight makes a difference and Ive not noted a recoil issue with the synth. Im lookin for a trade-in auto shotgun with extended mag if such are available without having to take a second mortgage.

SWOHFAL
June 04, 2012, 23:20
I had a factory synthetic stock buggered up by a "gunsmith" to install a swivel. I replaced it with a SF stock myself and feel it was actually nicer than factory and came pre-drilled.