PDA

View Full Version : WHAT TO DO? K2 OR SIG 551

N4KVE
May 29, 2012, 17:42
I have 2 Daewoos. A DR 200 that has an Ace stock & barrel shortened to 16" that shoots great, & an AR100 [K2] that is unfired. I regularly shoot the DR, & it's great, but since the preban gun is unfired, I'd like to keep it that way. But I don't collect guns & like to shoot them. So I've played with the Sig 551, & love the looks. Since it's currently sold, & not a collectible, I'd shoot it regularly. So what's the opinion on trading it straight up for a Sig 551? I don't need the cash, & won't sell the preban gun, but might trade it for a Sig. Thoughts??? GARY N4KVE

preston1026
May 29, 2012, 18:46
I have 2 Daewoos. A DR 200 that has an Ace stock & barrel shortened to 16" that shoots great, & an AR100 [K2] that is unfired. I regularly shoot the DR, & it's great, but since the preban gun is unfired, I'd like to keep it that way. But I don't collect guns & like to shoot them. So I've played with the Sig 551, & love the looks. Since it's currently sold, & not a collectible, I'd shoot it regularly. So what's the opinion on trading it straight up for a Sig 551? I don't need the cash, & won't sell the preban gun, but might trade it for a Sig. Thoughts??? GARY N4KVE

I wouldn't... love the woo, shoot it and enjoy it.

fmsniper
May 29, 2012, 18:53
Gary, I shoot and have shot more weapon types that I can think of, I have been in the Military for 24 years, I used the K1 series in Korea, played with it, and loved it, I used M21, in Iraq and SCAR17. I sold my POF 308 and Currently selling my POF 556, I shoot 3 gun every year running a Adams Arms Piston upper and have taken 1st the last 3 years in a row, this year I am going to run the K2 I just bought today ( as long as the accuracy is there). Bottom line I have owned a Sig 556 and was not pleased with the accuracy and front end weight. I have sold off most of my 556 rifles and only keeping my 18 inch AR 3 Gun rifle and my K2, all of the rest are gone or going. In my opinion the Koreans got it correct, only other 556 rifle i would buy is a Scar 16 to go with my Scar 17.

So in short my answer is no keep the Ar100 unless you really need the Sig these rifles are continuing to go up in price and they are just plain reliable, sig has had some recent issues with Quality control

PARA FN FAL
May 29, 2012, 21:15
FMSniper nailed it. My Sig 556 never goes to the range. It just sits there loseing value as people who own them are selling their 1200 to 1400 Sigs for 900 or so bucks because it just isn't that nice of a rifle. The Woo can only go up in value. It has no weak points that I can think of. You could hand the Woo down as family heirloom. I just don't see that in SIGs. The 551 may be neat but that will wear off.

If I had to list my favorite rifles to shoot for 3 gun or just shooting with friends it goes FN FAL, Daewoo MAX II and then M4/AR15s. All using Eotech or Primary Arms M4.

If you need to buy another rifle try to find a Woo on sale that you won't mind using and abussing. Once in a while someone may sell one not knowing what they have and let it go for a cheap price.

N4KVE
May 29, 2012, 21:54
If you need to buy another rifle try to find a Woo on sale that you won't mind using and abussing. Once in a while someone may sell one not knowing what they have and let it go for a cheap price.That's just it. I do have a DR200 with an Ace buttstock that I use & abuse, & it's great. It cost me $450 a couple of years ago. I also have an Israeli lb, Imbel, & British Fal, so that's covered too. But you guys do make sense, the AR 100 is worth keeping. It's just that the 551 hangs on the wall at work & says take me home. LOL. GARY N4KVE

cz75fan
May 31, 2012, 11:30
Had a SIG and it was OK, but I wish I'd never sold my DR200:( I hope to one day scrounge up a K2 before it's too late. IMHO the K2 is possibly one of the best designed 5.56 rifles built.

DYNOMIKE
June 01, 2012, 22:04
Although not the same as your K2, I scored a sweet NIB WOO awhile back.. Didn't shoot it much just yet but so far I think it's a great rifle.. Right now MOSES has it and is shortening the barrel for me.. He'll install one of his M/D's and send it back.. In the meantime I've converted the lower with a P/G and AR stock in preparation for the uppers return...
I expect it to be a very good handling rifle and it will see a lot of use no doubt..

As for the SIG, I shot one a few weeks back.. IMHO it was just OK.. While it did shoot fine the overall feel aint that great (for me) and the trigger was terrible.. For what the rifle cost I expected more and don't think I would ever want one..

If you already have the WOO covered and might like something else then maybe the SIG would fit..

M62/M76
June 02, 2012, 11:08
Keep the Woo's!

preston1026
June 02, 2012, 12:08
Although not the same as your K2, I scored a sweet NIB WOO awhile back.. Didn't shoot it much just yet but so far I think it's a great rifle.. Right now MOSES has it and is shortening the barrel for me.. He'll install one of his M/D's and send it back.. In the meantime I've converted the lower with a P/G and AR stock in preparation for the uppers return...
I expect it to be a very good handling rifle and it will see a lot of use no doubt..

As for the SIG, I shot one a few weeks back.. IMHO it was just OK.. While it did shoot fine the overall feel aint that great (for me) and the trigger was terrible.. For what the rifle cost I expected more and don't think I would ever want one..

If you already have the WOO covered and might like something else then maybe the SIG would fit..

Cutting down a like new woo barrel!:cry:

Like cutting down a STG barrel thats mint!

IslandTimes
June 02, 2012, 16:13

Haha, mine looks to be pretty unused too, but I'm waiting on a WO 20" barrel to come in before I send my WOO off to Moses to completely replace the barrel!

DYNOMIKE
June 02, 2012, 17:00

NOPE not to me, it makes a great gun even better..
WOO's aint all that rare in this config and I bought it right..

Oh and BTW it's not a Like New Barrel, it's a REALLY new barrel.. :beer:

preston1026
June 03, 2012, 20:28
Oh and BTW it's not a Like New Barrel, it's a REALLY new barrel.. :beer:

Ouch!
I just got a dr-200 barrel that has the last couple inches shot out. Thinking about cutting it down to 14inches and a fresh crown and perm attach a FH to get it legal.

Post pictures of your rifle when she's done.

DYNOMIKE
June 03, 2012, 22:07
Ouch!
I just got a dr-200 barrel that has the last couple inches shot out. Thinking about cutting it down to 14inches and a fresh crown and perm attach a FH to get it legal.

Post pictures of your rifle when she's done.

No worries, I'll be posting PICS fer sher & should have it back in a couple weeks..

The Rifle was NIB but as a DR of course had that god awful fake M/D onit..
I figured WTH if I'm going to get the M/D removed & replaced I might just as well have it shortened to a better length at the same time.. 16" should be about perfect for this rifle so it will be cut, crowned, threaded, and a hurricane M/D installed..
Seen PICS of one just like this that MOSES did for himself, it looks great and he says it shoots and handles perfectly.. :wink:

Did you buy a Barrel by itself or a complete rifle?

preston1026
June 04, 2012, 10:59
Did you buy a Barrel by itself or a complete rifle?

I bought a barreled upper. Going to use it for a 300 blackout project to turn my k2 to a short silenced platform one day.

DYNOMIKE
June 05, 2012, 06:41
I bought a barreled upper. Going to use it for a 300 blackout project to turn my k2 to a short silenced platform one day.

That would be a fun gun built around the WOO.. Just bought an AAC .300 BLK Upper and put it on an AERO lower I built, so far I really like it.. Didn't select the SHORTY upper but will prob have a can for this and my OBR eventually..

K.O.A.M.
June 05, 2012, 09:31
I wouldn't trade a Woo for one of the Sig 551A1's that are on the market now. The 'Woo's a way better rifle.

moses
June 06, 2012, 00:34
I like the Sig 556's and have 2, everyone should have at least one!
I have over 3000 rds through the first 556 I bought and have never had any kind of malfunction, the Sig 556 is absolutely reliable!
I'd would have to say it is the most reliable gun I have ever owned!!!

I also have a few Woo's (2 DR-200's and a K2) the Woo's are very reliable too and a great gun to shoot, if I had an unfired K2 I would not trade it for a 556........ but I would shoot it!

Keep the Woo and save up for a Sig 556!

N4KVE
June 06, 2012, 20:36
Keep the Woo and save up for a Sig 556!This is what I plan to do. Thanks for all the help. GARY N4KVE

darkest2000
June 12, 2012, 09:05

Ain't it? If it was an original configuration K2 I would've cringed at the thought of it's barrel getting chopped.

A DR200, not so much.

moses
June 12, 2012, 22:02
I cut my K2 barrel down to 16.1" but it had some pretty good pitting at the end of the barrel, it had been shot a lot and with what looked like corrosive ammo and not cleaned properly.

That being said after I cut 2" off the barrel it shoots pretty tight groups now and handles great!!

Here's a pic

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3655/3640566570_ed2e8132e2_b.jpg!!

N4KVE
June 13, 2012, 16:01
Ain't it? If it was an original configuration K2 I would've cringed at the thought of it's barrel getting chopped.

A DR200, not so much.You can relax. The 200 got cut down. GARY N4KVE