PDA

View Full Version : Charter Arms Undercover

georgeg
May 29, 2012, 12:27
What do you all think about the Charter Arms Undercover chambered in .38 Spl?
My mother-in-law has one which was purchased by her husband for personal protection as he was away from home a lot due to his job.

NEWFNL1A1
May 29, 2012, 12:55
The old ones from the 80's were fine. Sold em to family as self defense guns, both stainless and blued. Never any problem and believe me, I would heard if there was a prob.

Not on par with a Colt or Smith .38 but I think they are fine for the use you described.

georgeg
May 29, 2012, 16:11
Good to hear. While I don't know for sure, I would expect the gun dates from the '80s. My mother-in-law lives with my wife and I. While we knew she had the pistol, we hadn't seen it in awhile. The other day, my wife found her mother looking at the pistol which wouldn't have been a worry if she didn't have Alzheimer's Disease. Under the circumstances, the wife thought it best to quietly take the gun away and gave it to me to unload it and put where her mother wouldn't find it. We'd give it back to her but we don't know if she has any other ammo for it. There is a lot of stuff in the mother-in-law's room that we never see. Sounds like the revolver is worth keeping.

STGThndr
May 30, 2012, 05:02
YMMV: The earlier Charters, as mentioned by NewFal.. are ok. Dunno about the new ones made by the present company. By and large personally Id rather have an older Smith or even Colt as opposed to a new Charter. BUT they are American-made, go <POP> when the hammer falls.

Jarhead504
May 30, 2012, 19:27
I had one I bought right before the Brady Bill in the mid-'90's. No one could hit anything with it with cast bullets. I thought something major was wrong with it. A master gunsmtih told me that I needed to shoot semi-jacketed or jacketed bullets with it as the 1.5" barrel would not be able to put enough spin on a cast bullet. Shot the jacketed bullets with no problem. He also did a trigger job on it.

I used to carry it in a holster while cutting my lot in Des Allemands, LA which had a substantial population of water moccasins and alligators, at least more than your average house in the 'burbs or mountains. I recently gave it to my kid to sell if he wanted to, while he worked in the local gun shop.

I would have kept it if shot better. It also had a propensity for the screws to back out after 20 shots or so. I supposed I could have used Loc-tite, but I don't like using it on screws unless I have too. A baby S&W, Ruger or Taurus is a better pistol.

Jarhead504

Gazz
May 31, 2012, 19:15
A few years ago, a local shop ordered one for a customer because that is what he wanted. The gun came in and the owner let the guy mess with it while he was waiting for the state to get back to him with the approval. The customer dry fired the revolver a whole mess of times and it jammed and then would always jam. I wouldn't own one after that for sure and would have not actively sought one out before in any case. Low end revolvers to fit a price point.

762x54R
June 06, 2012, 23:59
Charter arms, aka Charco, aka Charter 2000 or whatever they call themselves now QC can be spotty. I've generally stayed away from their .38 snubs but I do like the .44spl bulldog types as they fill a unique and useful niche.

I've had some acceptable Charter Arms products over the years like a pair of 3" .22lr Pathfinders.

ALL FAL
June 19, 2012, 01:16
44 bulldog target kept the gold in my pocket in alaska when delivering to folks in bars, once, it made 2 crooks go away when they tried to rob me.

Accurate shooter too.

TideWater 41009
July 30, 2012, 11:21
Actually, it is the older Charter Arms 44's that had some weak lockwork design, and it was corrected around 2000 or so, IIRC. I had one I bought new in 2006 and I liked it a lot. It had a "cheap" feel to it somehow, yet it worked perfectly. A friend wanted to buy it from me, and since I had a good supply of 44's, I sold it. He is 100% happy with it.

I like the fact that Carter revolvers are American made, and they have not added a lock in the frame.

Cava3r4
July 31, 2012, 22:28
"son of sam" liked the 44 bulldog !! He whacked more then a few people with it too.