PDA

View Full Version : buying a Daewoo looking for 1/7 twist

fmsniper
May 28, 2012, 14:10
I am buying one but hard to figure which one has 1/7 twist, prefer 18 inch barrel
K2
MAXII
AR100
????
the dealers have no Idea
Thanks, I need one to shoot 62 -77 grain bullets not the 1/12 twist

Thanks MSG US Army

palmettomoon
May 28, 2012, 19:30
My K2 has a 1:7 twist. I think it's a later import. I had a K2 twenty years ago that had a 1:12. I've never read anything certain about which had what rates of twist which I could believe.

You'll have some "authoratie" types come along and tell you all of them have 1:7 twist rates or 1:7.2" rates, but that's not so.

N4KVE
May 28, 2012, 20:34
Here's how I could tell on my K2. I already have a DR 200, which we all know is 1:12. Comparing my K2 to the DR 200 it was obvious the twist was different. So the K2 must be 1:7. But I realize not everyone has a DR to compare with. GARY N4KVE

aardq
May 29, 2012, 17:27
Hope that this helps ya out.

K-1 Direct gas system, collapsible wire stock 1:12 rifling

K-2 Folding stock, gas piston 1:7.3 rifling

K1A1 Direct gas system, collapsible wire stock, AR-15 bolt is interchangeable

MAX-1 Folding stock, direct gas system, early version of K-1

MAX-2 Folding stock, early version of K-2, 1:7.3 rifling

AR-100 pre-1994 K-2

AR-110c pre-1994 K1A1

K1A1, Max I, and AR-110C are all the same gun, just different importers who brought them in under different names, and the MAX1 has a folding stock.

K2, Max II, and AR-100 are all the same gun, just different importers, same deal as above.

Dan

fmsniper
May 29, 2012, 17:28
Thanks I bought a K2 with 1/7 twist and just ordered the Quad rail

Marknct
May 30, 2012, 05:23
Aren't the 100 and 110C pre '89?

mace2364
May 30, 2012, 13:31
OK,

So the manual for the AR110C states that it has 1:7.3 rifling. So would a MAX 1 have the same?

N4KVE
May 30, 2012, 14:52
Aren't the 100 and 110C pre '89?Yes. No folding stock, pistol grip, bayo lug imported after 89. Since these guns have these features, they are pre ban [pre 89 guns] GARY N4KVE

aardq
May 30, 2012, 15:34
So would a MAX 1 have the same?

Yes.

Dan

Blain
June 01, 2012, 07:44
Thanks I bought a K2 with 1/7 twist and just ordered the Quad rail

Where did you buy the K2? How much was it?

fmsniper
June 01, 2012, 09:00
gun broker

fmsniper
June 01, 2012, 19:37
here is the woo, along side a Norinco Hunter I converted and made an adapter for a Galil Side folder style stock

I have the free float quad rail coming for the woo then off to the range tomorrow for bullet weight testing
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/FMSNIPER/IMG_0037.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/FMSNIPER/IMG_0035-2.jpg
18 inch woo
20 inch AK

fmsniper
June 02, 2012, 13:51
went to the range to today, accuracy was not great but manageable
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/FMSNIPER/IMG_0038-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/FMSNIPER/IMG_0039-1.jpg

fmsniper
June 03, 2012, 12:08
back to the range, groups got better with the Daewoo as I found out the Flashider was loose when cleaning it, groups today were 1 inch

fmsniper
June 06, 2012, 22:21
K2 found some paint

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/FMSNIPER/IMG_0036-3.jpg

preston1026
June 06, 2012, 22:56
Nice... who did the camo job?

fmsniper
June 07, 2012, 05:21
I did it last night

vandal968
June 07, 2012, 15:35
I did it last night

How?

v

fmsniper
June 07, 2012, 15:49
here is a thread I did on FN Scar Files

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-17s/28655-painting-rifles-army-sniper-school-way.html

vandal968
June 08, 2012, 13:11
here is a thread I did on FN Scar Files

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-17s/28655-painting-rifles-army-sniper-school-way.html

That is awesome. I can't believe that you get results that-good with a handful of grass. Thanks for sharing.

cheers,
v

fmsniper
June 08, 2012, 13:19
been doing it every since Sniper school in early 90's kind of got the hang of it after 20 years :)

just got back from the range today shooting at 2, 3 and 400 yards. 77 grain military ammo, using the Burris TAC 30 LPS scope on 4 power it was way to easy, got boring just could not miss

Blain
June 11, 2012, 23:11
I hate gawdy heavy metal rails and all of that crap. Part of what makes the K2 so great is that it is a full size, piston driven, combat rifle that weighs a little over 7 lbs (half pound less than a full size GI profile A2!). Why ruin that by adding all that weight and junk on it? It reminds me of people with 10 lbs. M4s. Defeats the original intent and advantage of the weapon.

Dasho101
June 12, 2012, 20:05
I hate gawdy heavy metal rails and all of that crap. Part of what makes the K2 so great is that it is a full size, piston driven, combat rifle that weighs a little over 7 lbs (half pound less than a full size GI profile A2!). Why ruin that by adding all that weight and junk on it? It reminds me of people with 10 lbs. M4s. Defeats the original intent and advantage of the weapon.

intent for im 4 was sorter weapon more sutible for use in urban environment, dose that pretty well. mine did it great with what i had on it. that included a grip, optics, ir laser, and flip to side magnifier. if for some reason 7-10lbs is to heavy for you may i suggest a few push ups, maybe some other calisthenics. i wish the had the heavy bbl version i here (but have not confirmed) is being fielded in limited numbers now when i was in.

Blain
June 12, 2012, 21:37
10 lbs. gets heavy pretty fast when you're out on patrol for a long period of time. If it's just a range, or stationary gun, that's different. But 10 lbs is also more unwieldy and a lot less handier. You want an urban combat gun to be quick, speed kills.

Also, if that is to be an urban gun, you most likely don't want the long range optic.

fmsniper
June 13, 2012, 11:41
no biggy I carried a M24 and M21 most of my career, no issues with the weight

Dasho101
June 13, 2012, 21:04
lol mine worked fine for me. than again im part of the new guard whose used to umteen pounds of body armor and a helmet that had enough gear on it that im shocked i dont have neck trouble. and lets not even take into account non standard equipment (used an ak bayonet as a pry bar for example). I go with the theory oh oz. equals pounds but if pounds help my butt ill take the pain lol. I know alot off ppl like ultralight equipment but remember there is another side to that. and a nice red dot or holo sight with a 3x or 4x is a great add on for target identification.

mace2364
June 14, 2012, 00:42
Having spent some time in the sand myself, I tend to agree with the idea that weapons have gotten too heavy. Case in point: on my 3rd tour, I had an M4 and an M14. The m14 handled better than the M4 did which is rather remarkable when you think about it.

I have heard about the Army looking to buy heavy barreled M4s, and that has got to be the dumbest idea since ACUs. Sure, in theory it could make the weapons more accurate. But that doesn't count for anything when a) they're not teaching soldiers to shoot like they should anymore, and b) any advantage in accuracy gained will be lost when you have to carry a fricking 12-15lb M4 and all the weight is in the front. What's more I don't care who you are, NOBODY shoots 1/2 MOA when the rounds are coming at you.

As for all of those accessories you put on your piece(or uncle sam requires you put on), SOPMOD was intended to be modular. This is a concept that was lost when big army got a hold of it(and if you've been responsible for any soldiers for longer than a day it's not hard to see why, dumb as it may be). Think about it for a second. What in the world do you need a tac-light for, if your not clearing buildings(i.e. your humping the mountains in daylight)? What do you need an IR laser for if it's daytime? I also have noticed lots of people carrying a single laser or light, and they still have the standard 4 rail system. Why carry that extra aluminum around? See where I'm going with this?

Don't think it matters? Pick up an M16A1 (or clone thereof) with the appropriate lightweight barrel. When my 20" rifle weighs less, and handles better than your 16" or less carbine you're doing it wrong. I don't care how many pushups you do, go on a 12 mile roadmarch and then we'll stand 10 meters apart and see who's on target faster. Assuming similar skill level, lighter weapon wins every time.

I'm not saying don't use optics, or lights, or whatever. I'm just saying think about it before you put everything and the kitchen sink on your weapon, and pick accessories that are lighter weight. I'm also saying that putting a heavy barrel on a 10" SMG is dumb. Manufacture's like heavy barrels and promote them. The real reason: less time the guy in the shop has to spend turning down a barrel to size.

I'm not talking trash, just giving you some food for thought.

Blain
June 14, 2012, 08:08
Having spent some time in the sand myself, I tend to agree with the idea that weapons have gotten too heavy. Case in point: on my 3rd tour, I had an M4 and an M14. The m14 handled better than the M4 did which is rather remarkable when you think about it.

I have heard about the Army looking to buy heavy barreled M4s, and that has got to be the dumbest idea since ACUs. Sure, in theory it could make the weapons more accurate. But that doesn't count for anything when a) they're not teaching soldiers to shoot like they should anymore, and b) any advantage in accuracy gained will be lost when you have to carry a fricking 12-15lb M4 and all the weight is in the front. What's more I don't care who you are, NOBODY shoots 1/2 MOA when the rounds are coming at you.

As for all of those accessories you put on your piece(or uncle sam requires you put on), SOPMOD was intended to be modular. This is a concept that was lost when big army got a hold of it(and if you've been responsible for any soldiers for longer than a day it's not hard to see why, dumb as it may be). Think about it for a second. What in the world do you need a tac-light for, if your not clearing buildings(i.e. your humping the mountains in daylight)? What do you need an IR laser for if it's daytime? I also have noticed lots of people carrying a single laser or light, and they still have the standard 4 rail system. Why carry that extra aluminum around? See where I'm going with this?

Don't think it matters? Pick up an M16A1 (or clone thereof) with the appropriate lightweight barrel. When my 20" rifle weighs less, and handles better than your 16" or less carbine you're doing it wrong. I don't care how many pushups you do, go on a 12 mile roadmarch and then we'll stand 10 meters apart and see who's on target faster. Assuming similar skill level, lighter weapon wins every time.

I'm not saying don't use optics, or lights, or whatever. I'm just saying think about it before you put everything and the kitchen sink on your weapon, and pick accessories that are lighter weight. I'm also saying that putting a heavy barrel on a 10" SMG is dumb. Manufacture's like heavy barrels and promote them. The real reason: less time the guy in the shop has to spend turning down a barrel to size.

+1000000000

You hit the nail on the head, mace! Spot on!!

Dasho101
June 14, 2012, 13:28

see different schools of thought, yours isent wrong, mine isent wrong there both just different. I loved when we started to de mothball m14s. and wish i could have gotten my hands on one of these new sage ones i keep hearing about. my m4 ran with a light, optics, grip and magnifier. other shit was strapped on as needed. thats the joy of rails. but you ask 100 different ppl there opinion you will proly wind up with 100 different idea. but hey its not like ive been to a few dog and pony shows in my life. one person would complain this is to heavy, the next well i need to add this, the next my issue boots dont work, and so on and so forth. in the end each has there own issues. I loved pmags, some dident, some shit about melting in saws or some stuff like that. the cut weight but thats not why i got them. i can say at least 80% of my weapon related issues ever were due to mags. army says issue mags work. for some they do, for me they dident. i used the best tool for the job. but thats my $5.78 worth. to keep from jacking a thread im gonna avoid further input and say dang fm nice daewoo, let me know how you like the rails.

mace2364
June 20, 2012, 23:17
You know, I had one of those SAGE M14s for a while. But I had my armorer switch the stock for the old fiberglass. I didn't care for the SAGE stocks, I think they're too heavy and don't really gain anything for you.

You do have a good point though, everyone does have their own preferences. I will say though, everyone I have handed an old school AR has come to at least prefer lightweight barrels.

But that's my .02