PDA

View Full Version : Help! (disassembling Turk Mauser)

Batman
February 01, 2002, 07:43
I ordered a new mauser wood stock from the Sportsmans Guild yesterday and then went down to the shop to strip my stock off my Turk 38 stock.

How do you get the rear sight off?

The front strap that has the front sling clip (it holds the top piece of wood in place) how does that come off. I see what looks like a screw head but mine is stripped out to the point that I can't turn it?

Also, how do I get the brass thingy in the middle of the butt stock out? or do I need to take it out?

Any help is welcome or send me to where I need to go to find out. I'm posting on Tuco's as well.

[ February 01, 2002: Message edited by: EMDII ]

hockeyfan_019
February 01, 2002, 08:54
Hiya again Bat,
Follow the following to remove the rear site. Should be one of those leaf-type elevating ones, graduated up to 2000m.

1) take out the pin at the front of the leaf with a thin punch. It doesn't hold any tension, so it's easy to remove.
2) push down just in front of the leaf "trunion" with a flat screwdriver, and as you're holding it down, slide the whole leaf rearward.
3) remove the leaf spring on the top
4) remove the screw located at the front of the rear sight assy
5) heat up the barrel. The sight mount is held on by silver solder to the barrel.
6) hammer the sight base tword the muzzel. If you've got a crappy solder job, you won't even have to heat it up. Pops right off.

Have fun, HTH

Paul Cox
February 02, 2002, 00:53
Batman, I have 1938 myself. On mine the front ring comes off by pressing in a leaf type spring on the right side just in front of the ring. It has the screwhole but no screw. You might try levering up the screw while turning it. If this doesnt work you will probably have to resort to drilling the screw and using an "easy out" type screw remover.
Dont remove the disk in the buttstock. Its nearly impossible to do without leaving evidence and its easier to tape up with electrical tape when refinishing. If you are just swapping stocks theres no need to mess with it.

kotengu
February 02, 2002, 08:54
The "screw" you speak of actually isn't. It's a pin (go figure). Drive it out from the opposite side and you're done. Most of those front bands (where the bayo lug is) are held on by what looks like a rectanguluar piece of metal - it's a kind of leaf spring. Push it into the stock and the front strap will slide forward - mine took an incredible amount of pressure 'cause of all the gunk built up in there.

Good luck, and happy Turking!

Batman
February 02, 2002, 09:17
Thanks everyone, Now, what was the hole in the stock designed for anyway?

If your Turk barrel is bad...ie. very worn lands, does anyone sell new barrels?

How easy is it to rebarrel a mauser?

Bwana John
February 02, 2002, 10:52
The circular brass disk with the hole in it on the stock is for disasembleing the bolt. After unscrewing the scroud, safety, spring, and fireing pin from the bolt body insert the fireing pin into the hole in the stock. Push down untill you can turn the sear engaugement lug 90 degrees. It has interupted threads and the back half of the bolt will break down into componet parts. Much easyer to do than explain. Now, can someone explain to me how to disassemble the extractor from the bolt body?

Batman
February 02, 2002, 23:27
Originally posted by kotengu:
<STRONG>The "screw" you speak of actually isn't. It's a pin (go figure). Drive it out from the opposite side and you're done. Most of those front bands (where the bayo lug is) are held on by what looks like a rectanguluar piece of metal.

Good luck, and happy Turking!</STRONG>

Ah, I think I may have miss discribed the part I'm trying to remove. The very front part, at the end of the stock I got off. The part I'm having trouble with is second band or strap, where the top wood piece is held on. On the Turk the strap also includes the front ring that you attach the sling to. It appears that it has a screw going through the center of it. The head of the screw is completly stripped. I tried to punch it out and it's NOT a pin, it's a screw.

Any help?

[ February 02, 2002: Message edited by: Batman ]

FALPhil
February 04, 2002, 09:30
E-Z Out in a reversible drill.
Originally posted by Batman:
<STRONG>I tried to punch it out and it's NOT a pin, it's a screw.

Any help?
</STRONG>

hockeyfan_019
February 04, 2002, 09:55
On one of mine, the last POS that had rebuilt it used an old nail with the head knawed off... It probably WAS a screw in the pin hole on your stock, and the previous owner decided to grind the head off for "improved appearance".

hsp223
February 04, 2002, 11:41
Batman- the screw is a screw that was used as a pin, there are no corresponding threads in the band. It is peened over and there is a counter sink. You may have to drill the peened part out. I've been able to use a dremel and remove enough edge around the peened area to be able to drift it out with punches. If you drill you will not be able to reuse the pin but this is a much easier method to remove the upper barrel band. For more info on the Turk go check out Parrallax's Turk forum.

Batman
February 04, 2002, 15:59
Originally posted by hsp223:
<STRONG>..... For more info on the Turk go check out Parrallax's Turk forum....</STRONG>

What is the link? I'm new to all this.

law4fun
February 04, 2002, 16:01
Here it is:
http://pub42.ezboard.com/bparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums

Bill is a good guy and you can get good info on Turks there....

Mr. Pink
February 04, 2002, 17:10
Originally posted by Batman:
<STRONG>Thanks everyone, Now, what was the hole in the stock designed for anyway?

If your Turk barrel is bad...ie. very worn lands, does anyone sell new barrels?

How easy is it to rebarrel a mauser?</STRONG>

Bat I'm sure you've found a source for new barrels by now...but in any event the well worn rounded off lands and frosty bore in my turk still provide reasonably good accuracy. Around 4moa from a rest at 100yds with turk surplus is average for me. Give it a try before you get a new barrel. Rebarreling a mauser is a cinch ('cept for that Izzy k98 .308 that won't chamber and there's a recent thread on this topic see below). However it will require some 'spensive tools - well expensive compared to the price of the Turk - and it ain't worth it unless you have some kinda Mauser fetish/habit to justify the price.

recent mauser thread (http://www.falfiles.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=004714)