PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 930 impressions?

Kyrottimus
May 12, 2012, 20:20
Just traded in my old beat-up repurposed 11-87 for a used Mossy 930.

I stripped her down in the shop and saw how robust the gas system was. No rubber-o rings to fail. No worry of the magazine tube ripping out of the receiver.

A colleague of mine has three and swears by them. Anyone have any experience with one? Gonna put mine to the test tomorrow but just curious if anyone has played around with (or owned) one.

dsastgguy
May 12, 2012, 22:24
I'm interested to see how you like it.
I've been looking at them, too, in addition to a bunch of other options.
Good value, for sure.
I know it isn't necessary to spend the big money on a Benelli.

Good luck with it.

ByrnieMac
May 13, 2012, 09:48
A buddy of mine has the 930 SPX.. he loves it. I've never shot it but I hear great things from him.

Good luck with it!

olgier
May 13, 2012, 10:26
I have a 930spx. I use 2 3/4 shells. The only time I had a problem was with remington 3 inch. they tended to hang on the ejection port due to OAL after being fired.

I also sent mine back to have the front sight raised by 1/8 inch as it was hitting high with slugs and I couldn't adjust any farther.

Other than that, I love mine and it wears an Aimpoint H1.

Kyrottimus
May 13, 2012, 12:23
Mine is just the basic 930 Special Purpose (18.5" bbl, bead sight, 4rd Mag).

Ghost loading it works flawlessly. So even though it's advertised as 4+1, I consider it 4+1+1. While ghost-loading isn't exactly the fastest way to top it off, it's awesome to keep it ghost-loaded in "ready" condition. Still handles fast with 6 shells in it. Was thinking about getting an extended mag-tube but I think I kinda like it like this.

Loading the first shell in the tube gets stuck on the gate if you're using anything with really high brass on it (notably with that cheap Royal Buckshot from Rio). I just load the first shell with the aggression of a maniac and it grinds itself home (tearing the sh*t out of the brass mouth as it meets the hull).

I also figured out a way to unload the entire mag tube in about 1/2 second (instead of one at a time). Pull the charging handle back until the loading gate pops in, press the bolt release button and that sucker craps out all the shells in the mag tube in literally 1/2 a second flat.

The trigger guard/loading gate assembly wiggle quite a bit in the receiver, but with all the 930's I've handled this is common and doesn't seem to affect function (in fact it's probably a good thing, as the trigger housing is polymer, it might not be as finicky in the extreme cold/heat with some play in it).

Going to do some combat drills in a couple hours when I get out to my buddy's private walk-and-shoot range. Only gonna run #6 Estate 2.75", S&B 2.75" 00 Buck, Federal 2.75" 00 and 000 Buck, Rio Royal 2.75" #4 Buck and maybe some 3" Magnum #4 Buck I've found. More info to come on how she performs.

My buddy tells me that on one of his he gets light-primer strikes on the S&B brand shells... I hope that's not the case for mine, I love S&B.

Kyrottimus
May 13, 2012, 19:25
Shot it a bunch...cycles everything perfectly even the weaker, cheap Estate #6 shells.

Thumbs up!

dsastgguy
May 14, 2012, 06:26
That's good to hear.
You've got me interested.
I might take a look at one this week.
I think for defense purposes, it might be a very good choice.