PDA

View Full Version : Walther P22 jamomatic returned to SW/Walther

Canuckienns
May 11, 2012, 09:15
I returned my Walther P22 back to Smith and Wesson/Walther for warranty service. It was gone a a month and it showed up Via Fedex yesterday. It has been constantly ftf ot fte from the get go, with a spent casing been stuck in the chamber several times, that has to be pushed out with an aluminum rod. It has been cleaned after each range session and I only used CCI mini mags as they recommend. I typed out a long letter documenting the problems, and noted that some screws had come loose and I had to tighter them, and that also the spring for the hold open latch was missing. 500 rounds and this pistol is NFG, fun if you like manfunction drills.
The letter they sent back with the pistol stated it worked fine with CCI's and that no repair had been done. So much for the missing latch spring.
What a bunch of crap. I will shoot it some more, and try out some other brands of amo, but I am contemplating taking SW to small claims court in my town to get my money back. Think they will show up?

DYNOMIKE
May 11, 2012, 09:30
Shoot it some more and see what happens??
While I'm not at all a fan of these pistols they usually shoot OK..

Next time pony up a bit more $$ and just buy a better gun.. Used Ruger MKII's, and Older High Standards are pretty easy to find in the Used Gun cases and are often times nicely priced..

If ya want a light plastic (polymer) pistol try the New S&W MP-22.. I had one out last week and it shot pretty well.. With over 200 rds fired the pistol functioned 100% with 5 diff ammo types.. Quite contrary BTW to the complaints the customer had claiming the gun would not function at all??

NEWFNL1A1
May 11, 2012, 09:31
******** style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F2oIZOyfDLc?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F2oIZOyfDLc?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2oIZOyfDLc

I had looked at these recently but there are lots of probs....maybe a class action suit is coming there are so many complaints.

DYNOMIKE
May 11, 2012, 09:54
Greased the Mag?
Lubed the AMMO?
"SLIDE" = Feed Ramp?

Sounds like this guy should try and design his own .22.. :p

These guns are the KelTec of .22 pistols, I guess it's safe to say ya just can't/won't get a good gun for $250.00 anymore..

NEWFNL1A1
May 11, 2012, 10:14
Greased the Mag?
Lubed the AMMO?
"SLIDE" = Feed Ramp?

Sounds like this guy should try and design his own .22.. :p

These guns are the KelTec of .22 pistols, I guess it's safe to say ya just can't/won't get a good gun for $250.00 anymore..

I had thought they were a nice sized 22 so was looking at them. Still trying to find the "equal" to my old J C Higgins French Unique mod 85 .22 pistol I lost in the fire....still looking.

I had the plastic grip model:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_abaJ0xbRju4/SgWdYdh5ydI/AAAAAAAABQM/BbpUZxLwgFg/s400/J.+C.+Higgins+-+Mod.+85+-+pistol+-+.22+LR%3B+4.5%E2%80%9D+barrel.jpg

OP, I hope you get it straightened out.

DYNOMIKE
May 11, 2012, 10:19
Actually they "where" pretty good going back a couple years.. Mebe something changed?

Like I noted however even though I expected I wouldn't like the M&P 22 it's actually a pretty good little pistol.. As is BTW the RUGER SR-22, we have sold quite a few of these and reports have been good..

L1A1rocker
May 11, 2012, 10:20
If you go to small claims court please keep us posted on how that goes. I'm curious if they'll bother to send a rep and/or they will actually pay when they loose.

lawdog
May 11, 2012, 12:08
Among the myriad of issues with that tact, methinks jurisdiction is going to be a small problem as regards taking the issue to a low level court.

You'll have better luck by working calmly with S&W. It stinks for you that it wasn't taken care of to your liking the first time, but I bet that if you talk politely to them and to express all of the details including your frustration they will fix you up if given another chance.

Canuckienns
May 11, 2012, 12:25
Good ideas. I only owned older Colts, Rugers, Hi Standards and Browning 22 pistols my whole life. I never knew what the word problem was. I had a Walther collection, with most of the older and popular models and they were of the highest quality with no problems. Why would I think that this Walther was not of the same. Money means very little when I purchase firearms. I wanted a little service type pistol to hone my service pistol skills. Well I am getting good at malfunction drills. LOL I have seen several P22 at my range and some of them are working perfectly and some dont work at all.
My friend bought one with me, and it has become a jamo matic and the front sight just clean blew off. Plastic pos insert. Walther did not even make these guns, just farmed them out to a contractor. I will keep you posted with a range report in the future.

DYNOMIKE
May 11, 2012, 13:29
I think what has happened here is along with the acquisition of WALTHER you got new bean counters.. The "NEW" WALTHER most likely aint gonna be the OLD Walther unfortunately..

LAFAL
May 11, 2012, 14:06
My wife and I both have the first model walthers. They are a bit ammo finicky but work fine with Federal copper plated HPs. Using a supressor and the threaded bbl nut seems to keep it from misfeeding.:D:D:D

Zeusizme
May 11, 2012, 17:46
Sorry to hear that your P22 sucks. My early P22 works great with most ammo. I downloaded the P22 bible and did some of the mods suggested. Take a short video of it and try to get the reps at S&W to watch it. I think that you will get further faster if you keep hounding their service line. Maybe you could even get it replaced.

Canuckienns
May 13, 2012, 11:53
My friends P22 is having the same problems, but it still needs more break in time. His front sight just blew right off when I was shooting it. I stuck it back on with some red loc tite. If he still has problems he is planning to put a stop payment on his Visa card. He has done this before and it works for him. I cant do the same, because this is a huge gun store and they would like me to come and work with them one day. Thats what I did for 25 years. I bought a 22LR conversion kit for my Glock 21. Advantage Arms. Great kit and I am getting lots of Glock service pistol range time. I really like this kit. Since I bought the P22, it has been away 4 of 7 weeks. I think the Glock conversion kit will get well used.

Canuckienns
May 14, 2012, 10:50
Dont know about the Loc Tite. All I can say is, its on the gun and working. If I used my industrial epozy, I would have a bitch of a time cleaning out the slot whenever he gets around to getting Walther, to send him a new sight. Talk about a PP set up. You can clean the front sight right off holstering this pistol just by catching the sight track. If it were mine I would use the toughest epozy in the world, and send it back later on and let
Walther frig with it.

Zeusizme
May 15, 2012, 09:37
OK, I just watched the video that NEWFNL1A1 posted about the failers of the gun.
I'll address them as quickly as I can. They are all fixable except for the plastic take down thing.
Get the "Walther P-22 Bible" It will explain in detail how to fix the ftf and fte problems. I've worked mine over as per its instructions and it runs like a champ. I have an early P22 which seem to have less trouble than the newer generations. It will feed ammo and eject ammo that is on the weak side that it didn't like before I tweeked it. As for the front sight find a tiny cap screw and screw it into the bottom of the sight. If you turn the plastic sight over you will see an area that is ment to have a screw in it. Why Walther/S&W never installed one I don't know, but my Walther P-99 has a screw in it and it's never come loose. I don't like the plastic sight and may in the future have a friend machine one up out of metal to replace it.

Brass Rat
May 15, 2012, 16:15
....maybe a class action suit is coming there are so many complaints.

Great, another chance for some lawyers to collect 30 or 40 million while the people who actually bought the product get a coupon worth 5% off their next purchase.

Canuckienns
May 16, 2012, 08:15
Good ideas guys. It is somewhat sad that a once great maker like Walther sells a pistol that I would never consider taking in harms way. This will always be a practice range pistol kept in a box and only ever used there. I would never trust it. I know it will fail again within the first 100 shots. I think that I will keep returning it back to S/W via Fedex on their nickle until it costs them a fortune. I got them good the first time, as their Fedex return ticket was for 2 day service. I got a depot to send it over night that probably cost them $50. And actually this has soured me on all of their new products.

lawdog
May 18, 2012, 07:11
I wouldn't go cutting off my nose to spite my face. S&W doesn't make this pistol. They picked up the importation rights after Interarms went out of business, that's all. I really don't think the flaming bag of poop should lie on their doorstep.

S&W has some pretty good "new" stuff. I know quite a few people that just plain love their M&P and Sigma pistols. I have an M&P 15-22 and it is a real fun rifle. My Bodyguard has been excellent. My M&P 15's in 5.45 have been great.

The fact of the matter is that S&W works on these P22s long after the original manufacturer's warranty has ended. I know, because they did it for me. Not because they had to, but because IMO, they have great customer service. Try to get that kind of service from any other maker or importer and let us know how that goes for you before you write off S&W.

Canuckienns
May 22, 2012, 07:29
Yesterday was my first opportunity to take my recently returned Walther P22 to the range. I cleaned it good and did a litttle lube job. It failed to cycle on round #8 and the hold open did not catch on an empty mag on round #30.
Two failures in 40 rounds with CCI Mini mags. Great eh?? My Glock 22LR conversion came out and performed flawlessly.

Zeusizme
May 22, 2012, 11:45
Mine doesn't skip a beat with mini mags. It functions flawlessly with CCI mini-mags, and CCI stingers. I only run into trouble when I use cheap bulk pack ammo with the short barrel. Most of the bulk pack ammo will work fine if I change to the 5" barrel. Seriously look into downloading the Walther P22 bible from Scribed.com. That will surely make your gun run like a champ. I belive the author actually destroyed his P22 from shooting it so much. I forget how many rounds he put down the pipe but it was quite a bit of ammo before the gun cracked.
Your gun is suffering from FTF and FTE which can be solved in just a few minutes with a polishing wheel on a dremmel tool.

Canuckienns
May 22, 2012, 12:02
Yes! I looked at the "bible". I have no problem doing the work, just pisses me off that I have to, after sending it back and waiting for a month to get it, with nothing done.

jugrunner
May 23, 2012, 14:06
I had an early one ... hammer spring broke after 200 rnds ... I fixed it because the "gunsmith" I took it to kept it 6 months and claimed he couldn't find a spring ... I called S&W and had a spring in 3 days ... took awhile to figure out exactly how it went in but I did it ... I sold it and AFAIK is running fine ...

couldn't recommend them ... !! ... cheap POS IMHO ...

either one of my High Standard 103's will outshoot and outlast any P22 ... !!

most "new" chit is just that ... chit ... not all, but most ... IMHO