PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a DR200 barrel down

Dirt1042
May 10, 2012, 22:04
What is the ideal barrel length to cut a DR200 barrel down to? Also whats a good compensator for the Woo?

Thanks

Dirt

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj232/dirt1042/P5050139.jpg

s0b3
May 11, 2012, 02:06
What is the ideal barrel length to cut a DR200 barrel down to? Also whats a good compensator for the Woo?

Thanks

Dirt

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj232/dirt1042/P5050139.jpg

i did mine to 14.5" and permanently attached a phantom to bring it back to legal length. if you didn't want to permanently attach the muzzle device go 16.1".

the good part about a cut down, crown and rethread is you can get the threads to a normal length, the factory threads are really long so the people that use the factory threads with a normal muzzle device usually use the jamb nut to cover up the threads.

DYNOMIKE
May 11, 2012, 07:04
Moses has mine at this very moment, maybe he will chime in with the details as to what he will be doing..

N4KVE
May 11, 2012, 10:44
I had my DR200 cut down to 16". Threaded 1/2x28 & I use a Vietnam era 3 prong f/h on the end. GARY N4KVE

paulb2112
May 11, 2012, 11:12
Dont know if you guys have tried PRIMARY WEAPONS SYSTEMS but they are great.

br82722
May 11, 2012, 22:05
Dont know if you guys have tried PRIMARY WEAPONS SYSTEMS but they are great.

Do they cut, crown and thread 'woo barrels? I looked at their website and just saw AR stuff. They do have a nice website though.:smile:

br82722
May 11, 2012, 22:22
On a related note, does anyone else work on Daewoo barrels? I have tried calling, emailing, and pm-ing Moses with no result. I know he does good work, but unfortunately I haven't heard back from him. Sorry for the thread crap Dirt.

s0b3
May 12, 2012, 00:02
On a related note, does anyone else work on Daewoo barrels? I have tried calling, emailing, and pm-ing Moses with no result. I know he does good work, but unfortunately I haven't heard back from him. Sorry for the thread crap Dirt.

derek are daewoorifleparts does work on them too.

Dirt1042
May 12, 2012, 00:47

No crap dude:) It pertains to what we are talking about and I'm as ADD as the next guy.:rofl:

preston1026
May 15, 2012, 23:31
i did mine to 14.5" and permanently attached a phantom to bring it back to legal length. if you didn't want to permanently attach the muzzle device go 16.1".

the good part about a cut down, crown and rethread is you can get the threads to a normal length, the factory threads are really long so the people that use the factory threads with a normal muzzle device usually use the jamb nut to cover up the threads.
Do you mind posting a picture of what it looks like cut to 14.5 inches with the flash hider silver soldiered on

s0b3
May 16, 2012, 14:47
Do you mind posting a picture of what it looks like cut to 14.5 inches with the flash hider silver soldiered on

some old pics here:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263496

preston1026
May 16, 2012, 16:17
Thanks, did you have to alter the gas plug/system at all for the rounds to cont to cycle without issue?

s0b3
May 16, 2012, 21:02
Thanks, did you have to alter the gas plug/system at all for the rounds to cont to cycle without issue?

nope i was able to run it on the same gas setting and i was shooting underpowered wolf with it.

preston1026
May 16, 2012, 22:14
That's great! I'm hoping 16" blackout barrel will do that same. Gotta ask how many woo's do you have?

moses
May 16, 2012, 23:24
Here is a link to one I cut to 14.5" and permanently attached my Hurricane FH to it.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=2794634#post2794634

I really like the Woo's with the barrel at 16.1" it just feels, looks and balances great at that length IMHO.
I also like the 14.5" look too though!

I've been totally slammed with work on all fronts lately and have had a tough time keeping up with answering all my emails and PM's in a timely matter but I will answer them all:)

Dyno I plan on doing your Woo to 16.1" BTW

Since the woo's have a 3 position adjustable gas plug there is no problem getting it to function with a shorter barrel.

The 16" barrels still work fine on the lowest setting and the 14.5" worked fine on the standard middle setting.

preston1026
May 16, 2012, 23:47
Here is a link to one I cut to 14.5" and permanently attached my Hurricane FH to it.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=2794634#post2794634

I really like the Woo's with the barrel at 16.1" it just feels, looks and balances great at that length IMHO.
I also like the 14.5" look too though!

I've been totally slammed with work on all fronts lately and have had a tough time keeping up with answering all my emails and PM's in a timely matter but I will answer them all:)

Dyno I plan on doing your Woo to 16.1" BTW

Since the woo's have a 3 position adjustable gas plug there is no problem getting it to function with a shorter barrel.

The 16" barrels still work fine on the lowest setting and the 14.5" worked fine on the standard middle setting.

Johnny, have you had a chance to do a 300 black out front yet? Change the gas setting much or do you have to do a mod? Was going to give you and James a call this week but in work training all week during typical work hours.

Was thinking a 7.62 barrel 16" with a yankee hill QD FH for a possible future silencer

s0b3
May 17, 2012, 00:36
That's great! I'm hoping 16" blackout barrel will do that same. Gotta ask how many woo's do you have?

6 right now.

3 DR-200s (2 modded and 1 unmodded)
1 K1A1
1 K2
1 DP51

i would like to find a DR-300 to round out the collection.

preston1026
May 17, 2012, 08:05
I see many of them cheap but with broken bolt lugs, too bad no one has offered replacements.

s0b3
May 18, 2012, 03:23
I see many of them cheap but with broken bolt lugs, too bad no one has offered replacements.

yeah if i do run across one for a decent price, it'll be a safe queen and not a shooter. the ammo isn't that much cheaper nowadays and the risk of a broken bolt and having a large paperweight isn't worth it.

Dirt1042
May 18, 2012, 19:28
What would be the better flash hider to put on the woo? A Smith vortex or Phantom?

s0b3
May 18, 2012, 21:01
What would be the better flash hider to put on the woo? A Smith vortex or Phantom?

phantoms are a little cheap and i like look of them. the vortex i think has better flash hiding capabilities but the tines ring like a pitch fork so i don't like it as much.

br82722
May 18, 2012, 21:03
Dirt - FWIW, I am putting a YHM-28A on mine only because I have it sitting around (bought it because it looks cool :uhoh:).

I sent my barrel to Moses this morning. If I didn't already have the YHM, I would have had him install one of his Hurricanes. I hear a lot of good feedback on them. On a related note, have you taken your barrel out of the receiver?

Dirt1042
May 19, 2012, 15:40
No, I have not removed the barrel from the receiver. I'm guessing that needs to be done? A friend of mine has a local guy cut and thread his barrels. He recommended him to me and the cost is only $75.

So sOb3, are you saying to go with the Phantom? My comprehension skills are lacking this week due to the pain pills I've been taking for my effed up back.

Also do you have all of your pistol grips in stock? I have an ACE Ergo on it and I think I would like to try the original style. :)

DYNOMIKE
May 19, 2012, 17:42
Not sure if you've decided yet but my vote goes for the HURRICANE from MOSES.. He makes these himself, they are his own design, and they look great.....

After already having one of these installed on an AR Carbine Moses threaded, I like it quite a bit.. In line with this thread the Hurricane has also been selected for the WOO Moses is cutting down for me and I'm looking forward to it's return..
Another one is presently being installed on a very cool project not yet (but soon to be) unveiled.. :D

s0b3
May 19, 2012, 21:16
No, I have not removed the barrel from the receiver. I'm guessing that needs to be done? A friend of mine has a local guy cut and thread his barrels. He recommended him to me and the cost is only $75.

So sOb3, are you saying to go with the Phantom? My comprehension skills are lacking this week due to the pain pills I've been taking for my effed up back.

Also do you have all of your pistol grips in stock? I have an ACE Ergo on it and I think I would like to try the original style. :)

i haven't tried the hurricane but i'd pick the phantom over the vortex.

the only grips i have right now are the hk style. getting some original and skinny ones made but they are still a few weeks out.

DYNOMIKE
May 19, 2012, 21:39
i haven't tried the hurricane but i'd pick the phantom over the vortex.

the only grips i have right now are the hk style. getting some original and skinny ones made but they are still a few weeks out.

I agree the Phantom is a nice piece, mounted one on another rifle a few years ago and like it.....

br82722
May 21, 2012, 22:47

I was just going to suggest shipping the barrel rather than the entire assembly in order to save on shipping costs. But if you have a local guy,it doesn't matter.:beer:

AZGummieBear
February 14, 2015, 20:37
Moses, you still looking for a DR300? Solid lugs with a couple franken mags?