PDA

View Full Version : Tokarev tt33

oleblu72
May 05, 2012, 12:54
What is the difference between the TT33 and the TTC is it just age? A TT33 just sold on Proxibid for $1400.00 and it didn't even shoot I think it was made in 1933.I'm thinking about buying one of these Tokarevs or a CZ but I'm not sure which one to buy isn't there one of them thats hard to buy ammo for?

Mark

homelandprotector
May 13, 2012, 12:26
What is the difference between the TT33 and the TTC is it just age? A TT33 just sold on Proxibid for $1400.00 and it didn't even shoot I think it was made in 1933.I'm thinking about buying one of these Tokarevs or a CZ but I'm not sure which one to buy isn't there one of them thats hard to buy ammo for?

Mark
The CZ52 is a far better gun, Ammo is all over the place. Surplus ammo is cheap, you could find 800 rounds cans for around $200.

This place >> http://www.harringtonproducts.com/firing-pins/ Has good info and parts for the CZ52.

Stoney
May 13, 2012, 14:20
Had both, sold the CZ and like the Yugo better.

zombie hunter
May 13, 2012, 18:04
The expensive guns are from Russia, and the major reason they're more expensive is because they're no longer legal to import. The "TTC"s you're seeing are almost exactly the same gun. If you get a Polish one, it'll have the scalloped style slide instead of serrated, like the Romanians and Yugos. The Russians used scalloped slides before and during WWII, and serrated after.

The other big difference is the safety. Romanian and Polish Tokarevs have cheap tigger-block safeties that were added to make them legal to import. The high-price Russian Tokarevs you're seeing likely don't have the safety. Yugo Tokarevs have a safety that integrates into the design of the pistol much better. The only downside to the Yugos is they take one more round than all the others, so they're not compatible with magazines for the others, and it's a deviation from the original Russian design.

As others have said, the CZ is nice, but you'll have to do something about the trigger. One advantage of the Tokarev over the CZ used to be availability of 9mm barrels and bushings (the only parts required for a reasonably reliable conversion), but when the cheap 7.62x25 disappeared, the 9mm parts all sold out from dealers and jumped in price on the secondary markets.

The original source of the 9mm parts was the Chinese Tokarev variant, which like the Russian TT-33s, is now illegal to import. The only other Tokarev variant I'm aware of is the "Tokagypt" with wrap-around grips. Most shooters would probably prefer that grip style, but I don't think it's worth the premium.

oleblu72
May 13, 2012, 19:20
Thanks for the replys guys I kinda thought this thread was dead from the start, I thought I might have stumped the band or something.

Thanks much Zombie that answers my question about the Russian I still think $1400 is alot to pay for a pistol that doesn't shoot though, thanks again.

Mark

ALL FAL
May 13, 2012, 22:16
Man, I almost hate to say it but my TT33 and CZ52 are extremely accurate pistols and flat shooters out to 300YDS, not to mention, Bone Stock Original.

No Bullshite ;)