PDA

View Full Version : Benelli M4 question...

dsastgguy
May 03, 2012, 18:54
Curious if you guys know whether the M4 can be ordered specifically with the standard stock (I really don't want the pistol grip) or only as an accessory?

I don't plan on buying anytime soon, just wondering, if I actually do make that purchase.

Thanks in advance.

DYNOMIKE
May 03, 2012, 20:31
If'n ya want the M4 best start looking and or ordering NOW..
Last conversation I had with our Rep (about a week ago) Benelli's inventory shows a NEG 300+ units on these guns.
The ones that are out there in the pipeline (so to speak) can bring $2k retail....

As far as the PG I have spoke to a number of peeps, seems to be that if one mods/converts the M4 from it's standard config they are subject to 922 compliance..

I asked for confirmation on this (from said Rep) and he said that Benelli is working on the ATF to allow a diff config to be imported..

I will state now that I am NO expert on this subject nr do I have any "INSIDER" info from Benelli only sharing some info I got second hand..

GW870
May 03, 2012, 21:09
Hmmm, curious, yes.
Some years ago when I bought my Benelli, it came with the standard
and I bought the PG stock as an accessory. After shooting both, it
became apparent to me that the PG just 'felt right'. YMMV.

GW

dsastgguy
May 05, 2012, 00:24
I really appreciate the replies, gentlemen.

I don't expect to be buying anytime soon.

DYNOMIKE, that is some good info to be considered in regard to the configuration and I will look into it.

GW870, thanks for your personal opinion on the stocks.
I'll have to try the PG before I make any decision.

creekerdoug
May 05, 2012, 08:05
I know you asked about the M4 but if you think you may not want a pistol grip butt stock you might want to look at the M2. It will do everything an M4 will do and it's a good bit less expensive. It's also pretty much the gun of choice for 3 gun / multigun shooters.

I have a M2 with a 21" barrel. I use it for multigun. It is a field grade and came with a conventional butt stock. It's a very, very reliable. I've added an Mesa Tactical Urbino pistol grip butt stock but only because after open heart surgery I have become a little recoil sensitive. A pistol grip butt stock helps me with that.

A friend has an M4 he uses for multigun and I've shot it several times. It's a good bit heavier than the M2 and it runs like a champ but the M2 works better for me.

dsastgguy
May 05, 2012, 12:29
I appreciate the input, creekerdoug.

I am trying to minimize the recoil, too.
I'm a pretty big guy, but after a while, it still gets to me.
My guess is the M4 will shoot a bit softer.

I have also heard some issues with the M2 not running well with lighter types of ammo.
I know they specify a minimum load for it.
Realistically, I only plan to use it for defensive purposes, so maybe it won't matter in that regard, since I'll be using heavier loads most of the time anyway.

Then again, if I can use it to take some occasional game, it wouldn't be a bad thing.

edit: the M2 was my original consideration, but after some thought, I am leaning towards the M4, even considering the price.
Trying to find a good quality softer-shooting auto gun for defensive purposes, primarily.

metalreptile
May 07, 2012, 09:51
I am trying to minimize the recoil, too.
I'm a pretty big guy, but after a while, it still gets to me.

Trying to find a good quality softer-shooting auto gun for defensive purposes, primarily.

Maybe it's just me, I dunno. My favorite shotgun is the Remington 870. I also have a Mossberg 590. Have owned various other shotguns over the years including both an M1 and M2 Benelli. Recoil is seldom a problem for me, but those Benelli's were the kickingest shotguns I have ever shouldered! Even low brass bird shot would beat my shoulder to bruises after a box or so. It would actually become painful. And 00 buck? Oh man. If you have never shot a Benelli, might wanna give one a workout BEFORE you buy it. Like I said, maybe it's just me & the way the Benelli fits me, but no other shotgun has hurt my shoulder like those two did.

GW870
May 07, 2012, 12:15
Yeah, fit surely does have much to do with felt recoil. I shoot the
M1 with PG and extended mag. To me, it's softer than my 870.

Worst I ever tried was a 16ga double belonging to my FIL. That
thing felt like it wanted to fling me to the ground and stomp the
snot outa' me!

GW

dsastgguy
May 07, 2012, 18:05
haha

Actually the worst kicking gun I ever shot is still in my closet, an old Winchester single barrel 12ga 3" mag piece that weighs about 5lbs with NO RECOIL PAD!!

I used it to shoot trap one day back when I was a kid, and boy, did my shoulder ever bruise up after that!

I'm not critically worried about recoil, just want to minimize it as much as possible.
Makes shooting more fun, IMO.

metalreptile, I have heard the same thing about the M2 from a sales rep at a local gun store.
He said that even with their special stock, it still kicks hard.
I think that may be inherent to the inertia system, which is one reason I am looking for a gas gun.

I am also considering the Remington 1100 TAC4, looks nice, seems to be pretty reliable based on reviews I have read.

I am not sure about committing to a gun that can only chamber 2.75" shells, however.
I'd kind of like to have the option to shoot 3" if desired.

May 08, 2012, 10:48
last m4 i saw cost $1500

Vaughn L. Allen
May 11, 2012, 09:40
I know you asked about the M4 but if you think you may not want a pistol grip butt stock you might want to look at the M2. It will do everything an M4 will do and it's a good bit less expensive. It's also pretty much the gun of choice for 3 gun / multigun shooters.

I have a M2 with a 21" barrel. I use it for multigun. It is a field grade and came with a conventional butt stock. It's a very, very reliable. I've added an Mesa Tactical Urbino pistol grip butt stock but only because after open heart surgery I have become a little recoil sensitive. A pistol grip butt stock helps me with that.

A friend has an M4 he uses for multigun and I've shot it several times. It's a good bit heavier than the M2 and it runs like a champ but the M2 works better for me.

I have shot both the M2 Tactical (factory PG stock) and the M4. The M4 was slightly heavier but the felt recoil was nearly identical. Neither experienced problems with any ammo that was used.

I chose to buy the M2 Tactical and mounted a Mesa Tactical railed side-saddle shell carrier on it. It's a great shotgun but I still prefer my 870 Police Magnum.