View Full Version : What is involved in filing for a SBS?

April 30, 2012, 20:07
Just got a hankerin' for one. Ran across a beater Rem 1100 that I would like to cut shorter for HD if needed.

Where does one start for application?

May 01, 2012, 06:46
It's relatively easy. Fill out a ATF form 1 in duplicate. Get passport size photos in duplicate. Get fingerprinted in duplicate. Take the whole mess to your chief law enforcement officer and get him to sign off on both copies of your Form 1.

It's best to get you receiver engraved before you submit your paperwork to the ATF. It is possible for the engraver to screw up.

Once all that is finished you just drop all the paperwork, photos, fingerprint cards and a check for $200 in the mail to the ATF. Then you get to wait 6 to 8 months for your tax stamp to come back. With and only with your tax stamp in hand you can then legally assemble your short barrel shotgun.

Or you can create a trust or corporation and avoid the fingerprints and photos. The trust route can cost $300 to $600 depending on your attorney and you still get to wait 6 to 8 months and you still have get your receiver engraved.

May 01, 2012, 17:17

May 01, 2012, 18:27
You are welcome but I forgot to add that you also must submit the declaration of citizenship form. The number of which I can't remember. I'm traveling and can't just open my files.

May 01, 2012, 18:47
Ah yes, the same citizenship declaration we all have to sign to vote in this country, si sinor.:confused::confused: