PDA

View Full Version : Surefire forend 590a1

GOVT1911
April 29, 2012, 13:32
OK folks, I have a question...

I have an older LaserProuducts dedicated forend on one of my Mossberg 500 shotguns, but I want to move it to my 590a1.

The forend fits, but when I screw the flashlight body/head onto it, it's about 1/4" too long and the bezel of the light hits the bayonet lug, not allowing the action to lock closed.

The current forend uses 2 3 volt batts and an incandecent P60 bulb.

Newer Surefire (LaserProducts changed to SF several years ago) offers shorter 1 battery, 3 volt LED heads on their weaponlights. LM1 is the model/part I was looking at.

Does anyone know if I can just buy the newer LED 3 volt head and use it on my older 6 volt forend, making it shorter and with the benefit of changing to LED at the same time?

Also, does anyone know a good SF dealer that I can order the part from? Online searching hasn't come up with much.

Thanks,
John

SPEEDGUNNER
April 29, 2012, 19:32
I think if you look you will see the tube on the action bar is longer on the 590 than on the 500, this is why you aren't clearing the light.

GOVT1911
April 29, 2012, 21:56
I think if you look you will see the tube on the action bar is longer on the 590 than on the 500, this is why you aren't clearing the light.

The Bezel of the light is hitting the rear of the bayonet lug on the 590. No bayo lug on the 500 so no problem on that one.

I could grind off the rear 1/4" of the bayo lug, but I'd rather not.

Not like I fix bayonets on a regular basis, but with only 9 rounds available I'd like to keep the bayonet option open just in case I run into 10 zombies! :D

gates
May 09, 2012, 00:32
When you get this figured out you can swap out that bulb for one of the new 200+ lumen CREE led bulbs, fricken AMAZING how much more light you can get out of the same housing - shorter run times of course but who the hell cares...

I think I spent $25 (can be had for less) on the non heat sink models and maybe $50 for the brass heat sink bulbs - google it - it's a MAJOR upgrade for not much cost...