PDA

View Full Version : Anyone around here shoot a Glock 20?

Canberra
April 26, 2012, 21:21
I was just wondering, I shoot .45 and .357 and was wondering if its anywhere around these two in the kick department, more, same, less? I have read that among all the 10's out there the 20 is a bit more friendly than most. Any opnions or comments?

Just when I standardized the stock of caliber around here...

big dee
April 26, 2012, 23:56
I've been shooting a Glock 20sf for about a year now and I'm lovin' it more all the time. If you are OK with .45's and .357 Mag's, you will be fine with the 10mm. Recoil is no worse than either. Try it..you'll be hooked.

littlematt
April 27, 2012, 13:08
I've been shooting a Glock 20sf for about a year now and I'm lovin' it more all the time. If you are OK with .45's and .357 Mag's, you will be fine with the 10mm. Recoil is no worse than either. Try it..you'll be hooked.

i agree. i can't really tell the difference between a 20 and a 21 as far as recoil

Kolat
April 27, 2012, 14:53
factory loads in 10mm are'nt much different feeling than .45

Really hot loads can get painfull to shoot very often.

T

VALMET
April 27, 2012, 15:23
Pick one up, you won't regret it.

Wyo_gunner
April 29, 2012, 07:57
Got mine about a month ago. Love it.

If you're shooting full powered loads, the key is to not be afraid...the gun with sense your fear. :p

hagar
April 29, 2012, 08:22
My G20 is less noisy and has less kick than the 158 grain loads I shot out of my 6 inch Ruger Gp100. I normally shoot 175 Silvertips or my own reloads, no uber duber 200 grain ++++P++++ loads.

crcksht
April 29, 2012, 10:18
Recoil with factory loads in the model 20 is no different than factory loads fired from a model 22. I don't care for the model 20 because it feels clunky when fired, unlike other Glocks I've owned or fired(17L,22, 23) probably due to the heavier slide on the model 20. The clunky feel gets worse as the mag goes dry and the pistol becomes very top-heavy. I found the accuracy of the model 20 to be relatively poor compared with other full-size automatics, YMMV. Traded mine off long ago.

hagar
April 29, 2012, 11:57
No problems with accuracy in mine, but I do think my 1995 model shoots better than the SF model I picked up a year or so ago. I would rate it close to my Sig 229 in 357 Sig.

homelandprotector
April 29, 2012, 17:01
If you are going to buy one get the G20c (c = compensated )

Glock makes most all their models with the "c" option. :]

Here >> http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product1057.html

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1BZU61yw3ME" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hagar
April 29, 2012, 17:13
Personally I despise muzzle brakes and compensators, but if it floats your boat, go for it..

Comicus
April 29, 2012, 23:33
I have shot a friends, and to be honest ever though im a Glock guy owning 3 now, in the 10mm I prefer my delta elite.

K.O.A.M.
May 06, 2012, 20:31
I have a Gen 1 Glock 20 that I got Boresight Solutions to stipple and reduce the frame. Got it back Thursday and am looking forward to shooting it. I also have a Gen 3 20SF that's fun to shoot. They'll end up as duty guns if I get sent back to a non-uniform unit.

Clark
May 18, 2012, 12:46
I have had a glock 20 for 10 years.

That cartridge sucks.
It is not as power in handloads as 40sw or 45acp.... but none of the three can be used at full potential because of recoil.

It makes the frame grip longer for nothing.

The stock Glock 10mm barrel can not produce the power of a stock Glock 9mm barrel, but with aftermarket the the 10mm can be loaded much more powerful, but again neither of the two can be loaded to the potential, because of recoil.

So the 10mm will have some followers, but common sense will marginalize it.

hagar
May 18, 2012, 21:09
I want some of that of what you have been smoking. Not for myself, mind you, but to put my mother in law in a coma when she comes to visit again..:beer:

newuser
May 19, 2012, 00:10
The G20 with full power doubletaps has mildly sharp recoil, much less than a 44 magnum 4" N frame. I havent fired a 357 in years so I cant comment
With store bought factory 10mm, which is loaded to 40 S&W power levels, recoil is mild.
Comparing G21 to G20, the recoil of full power 10mm is sharper but doesn't throw my hand up like the heavier 45acp projectiles. For me the recoil of G21 is noticeably milder than a 5" 1911

TnHawk-45
June 10, 2012, 06:49
Load your rounds to original velocities and add a 6 inch barrel, you change a 25 yard gun to a 100 yard one. From a rest I can keep all my rounds on a 10 inch gong at 100 yards.

Frankly all the factory rounds from the big makers SUCK. The lawyers had their way and they are all now basically long 40 S&W (short and WEAK) rounds. Double Tap is the only one producing now that comes close to the original specs.

For those who are fans of the Colt Delta Elites, you really should see the slow motion pictures the FBI did of it when they were testing guns to adopt. The Colt was bending the rounds into the chamber. This was the reason the S&W 1006 was adopted as there were no other makers for the 10MM then.

For those who load to original specs, get the 22 pound recoil spring. With it you will save your hands and gun.

crcksht
June 10, 2012, 07:32
Bending the rounds into the chamber? That's bullshit and would result in a FTE every time.

Also a fan of the 1006, but never had a single problem with my DE. Downloading to .40 S&W specs had absolutely nothing to do with lawyers. .40S&W specs result in better controllability than the full house loads with sufficient penetration. Winchester Silver tips are pretty hot. Handload if you want full house loads.

Deltaten
June 11, 2012, 09:33
Rather incongruous this...
The self-proclaimed King of Overloads, Clark sez:
"but common sense will marginalize it."
;)

zombie hunter
June 11, 2012, 10:39
Double Tap is the only one producing now that comes close to the original specs.
Buffalo Bore also loads good 10mm.

JasonB
June 14, 2012, 20:07
I have had a glock 20 for 10 years.

That cartridge sucks.
It is not as power in handloads as 40sw or 45acp.... but none of the three can be used at full potential because of recoil.

It makes the frame grip longer for nothing.

The stock Glock 10mm barrel can not produce the power of a stock Glock 9mm barrel, but with aftermarket the the 10mm can be loaded much more powerful, but again neither of the two can be loaded to the potential, because of recoil.

So the 10mm will have some followers, but common sense will marginalize it.

What's your first language? Using Babelfish to translate or??

Clark
June 18, 2012, 02:53
Babelfish?
I was a project engineer at ELDEC in 1984 when a technician explained to me that the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy started out as cards, then radio, and then TV on PBS.

I should say that the most power I can get out of a Glock 20 10mm is 14.2 gr 800X, 200gr 1.3".
The book load is 7.8 gr.
That is the threshold of the primer falling out.
Mike McNett, before he formed Double Tap Ammo, asked me how I got that much powder to fit.
The answer is double compression.
Fill the case, compress the powder, add more powder, seat the bullet.

The most power I can get out of a 40sw is 15.5 gr 800X, 200gr 1.171" modified Glock 22 that supports the case to the web.
There is no way I can see that a 10mm can make that kind of power in the same barrel length.
That is a 44 mag max book load in a tiny space.

The most power I can get out of a 45acp is 13 gr AA#5 230 gr 1.275"
That is in a re barreled 1903 Turkish Mauser.
There is no way a 40sw can make that much power, that I can see.

But all this is academic for handguns, unless you have a Desert Eagle with heavy recoil springs. Otherwise, the recoil is too much.

But if we can get all the power we can handle in recoil from a 40sw, why would we put up with a poorly designed case and long magazine in a 10mm?
The answer is "no good reason", but it seems like extra to the ignorant, and God bless them, hope they enjoy it.

To dispel errors in the gun folklore may not do me any good.

Deltaten
June 19, 2012, 18:41
1.2 gr LESS in a case that's 1/10 inch longer? Perhaps it was a 135 gr bullet instead of the 200 gr used in the 10mm??

Clark
June 21, 2012, 12:13
The 10 case is not able to take the pressure from 200 gr and all the 800X that will fit.

The 10mm case has a deep extractor cut and a Large primer pocket, making it tie only common case head weaker than the 25acp.

Meanwhile, the 40sw case is so strong I cannot get the primer pocket to fail.

Timber Wolf
June 28, 2012, 10:18
I have an old 1st Gen G20 and kind of like it. It is too big for my fat fingered hands but I can shoot it. I have not tried to load it to primer-blow pressures but near the top of the book loads it shoots nicely. I like the round and just happen to have few boxes of full-snort Norma factory ammo from back in day laid in. I may shoot some over a chrono one day although judging from what I saw some go fo on GB a while back the stuff is too pricy to actually shoot! It is also overly powerfull for Zombie head shots anyway, the .40 short and weak or even 9mm is plenty for that.

Tonk
June 29, 2012, 13:45
I have 2 of the Glock model 20's, one has been rehabed with 6 inch Bar Sto stainless barrel and some other aftermarket items, as well as having a 3-lb trigger. The other model 20 has a regular length barrel in stainless with night sights on both the model 20's. I also carry a model 29 Glock loaded up with self-defense ammo as is the model 20 with 6 inch barrel.

The Glocks are top shelf for self-defense, they are not pretty and sure won't make any art show for classic lines etc. However, when you need them, no matter what the weather may be or situation, the Glocks will serve you very well and always go BANG when you pull that trigger.:D:shades:

Col. Bat Guano
July 09, 2012, 12:48
The 10 case is not able to take the pressure from 200 gr and all the 800X that will fit.

... Meanwhile, the 40sw case is so strong I cannot get the primer pocket to fail.

At the range, I guess that you'll be easily identifiable due to the slide embedded in your forehead. Be sure to share some photos.:eek:

falup
July 22, 2012, 01:37
read somewhere the glock 20 very popular in AK
The s&W 1006 was the only handgun that ever came close 2 passing the 5k round torture test(courtesy of Frank James),it did pass. in fact a shooting buddy actually bought the pistol after and only replaced springs and shot it.
the g20 is ok ,have one. Like about all guns not intended for a steady diet of max loads. the 6" or longer bbl really needed 2 allow it to max potential.
Peter sthls(german) made a linkless 6" 1911,which springfield copied. had both(didn't wanta sell either) these seemed 2 b the best for accuracy and power and recoil. the S&W (also had) would have been best if longer bbls were ever
available. Unfortunatly 10mm not yet legal for deer here. when it does i'll get a
barsto longest bbl i can get. currently 6" is longest i've seen 4 the glock from anyone. in order of quality: glock-wolf-storm lake-kkm-barsto

JasonB
July 25, 2012, 19:34
Babelfish?
I was a project engineer at ELDEC in 1984 when a technician explained to me that the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy started out as cards, then radio, and then TV on PBS.

I should say that the most power I can get out of a Glock 20 10mm is 14.2 gr 800X, 200gr 1.3".
The book load is 7.8 gr.
That is the threshold of the primer falling out.
Mike McNett, before he formed Double Tap Ammo, asked me how I got that much powder to fit.
The answer is double compression.
Fill the case, compress the powder, add more powder, seat the bullet.

The most power I can get out of a 40sw is 15.5 gr 800X, 200gr 1.171" modified Glock 22 that supports the case to the web.
There is no way I can see that a 10mm can make that kind of power in the same barrel length.
That is a 44 mag max book load in a tiny space.

The most power I can get out of a 45acp is 13 gr AA#5 230 gr 1.275"
That is in a re barreled 1903 Turkish Mauser.
There is no way a 40sw can make that much power, that I can see.

But all this is academic for handguns, unless you have a Desert Eagle with heavy recoil springs. Otherwise, the recoil is too much.

But if we can get all the power we can handle in recoil from a 40sw, why would we put up with a poorly designed case and long magazine in a 10mm?
The answer is "no good reason", but it seems like extra to the ignorant, and God bless them, hope they enjoy it.

To dispel errors in the gun folklore may not do me any good.

Let's see some video of you in action!

1MOR
July 26, 2012, 20:11
I was just wondering, I shoot .45 and .357 and was wondering if its anywhere around these two in the kick department, more, same, less? I have read that among all the 10's out there the 20 is a bit more friendly than most. Any opnions or comments?

Just when I standardized the stock of caliber around here...

My experience is with the Glock G20 only. I bought a G20 circa 2002-2003. The frame is wide and I had some problems with same hand slide and mag release. I installed extended slide and mag releases, problems solved.

With Federal and CCI Blazer 200gr loads, not impressed. I then loaded up some homebrew using AA#9 and some 180gr JHPs that I was using for .40cal loads. These loads were just under published max using this AA. Now we were talking about why the 10mm cart is considered to be a hot momma!

As I have had considerable experience with both the 357mag and the 44mag as LEO carry weapons, that was my basis for comparison. I would say that the 10mm was somewhere between a full factory load 158gr JFP/JHP and factory load 240 JFP that I had experience with.

The 10 had quite a bit of snap, recoil was not bad but the muzzle seemed to have a sharp rise and slight twist.

No comparision to the .45ACP, at least in my opinion. I consider factory .45 230gr ball loads to have mild recoil.

I would have no problem with the G20 using it as a service weapon or otherwise.

Interesting 10mm read
http://www.bren-ten.com/agtman/id6.html

Timber Wolf
July 27, 2012, 08:21
Got an e-mail from Lone Wolf today advertising their 17/22 size Timberwolf frame. I just happened to handle one of these built up as a complete non-Glock G22 last week with their in-house slide. Dealer said the only thing Glock on it was the sights, and magazine I imagine. It was really sweet, finally a Glock clone that felt as good as my XDm's! They were asking $800 and I did not think that was terrible for a gun that felt that good and should have all of the positive attributes of a Glock. What does that have to do with a G20 you ask? Well, in the e-mail they say they will have 20/21 frames out January 2013.:biggrin::biggrin: I WILL buy one. I really want to shoot and love my G20 but the grip just does not work for me. If the Lone Wolf Timberwolf G20 frame feels anywhere near as good as the G22 frame I felt, I may finally be able to have my ideal pistol. 10mm power with reasonable mag capacity in a good feeling and controllable package. And of course with my screen name you know I need to own a Timberwolf!;)

Maine1
June 13, 2014, 22:54
The G-20 has been my EDC for 7 years. before that, the G-21 filled that role.

While there is a group of people doing some hot loading with the 40, saying that it bests the 10mm due to a smaller primer pocket, and thus a thicker web/case head, i am still skeptical, though I AM curious to see how this plays out in the long run. Its attractive because i have many thousands more 40 brass than i do 10mm brass...and i can get it free, or cheap.

The 10mm is a great cartidge IF one handloads OR Has deep pockets for boutique ammo. If limited to run of the mill factory 10mm, its not that great. YET..there is something to say for sectional density.

A 200 gr XTP going 1250 FPS or so is a great load, and doable with knowledgeable handloading. The 10mm is very flat shooting, hard hitting, and whatever bullet the 40 can shoot, the 10mm can put it out faster. YET...not all 40 bullets will handle 10mm speed. But some like the XTP can. And it's GTG with cast bullets as well.

Most of the negatives about 10mm are pure BS. The recoil, even with HOT loads, is very manageable, in fact, i have shot 45's that feel more stompy than 10mm. Some will call BS on the balistics, but while some comercial loads have some velocities that are..best case scenarios....the numbers i get, and the actual performance, is just fine.

These days, 10mm ammo is no more pricey than any other caliber, and if one looks, you can find 10mm brass CHEAPER than say 45ACP.

Now, until they come out with the "10mm/40" conversion barrels ( a barrel throated to take long loaded 40 s+w rounds at 10mm velocities) i'll stick with it.

Elwarpo
June 16, 2014, 21:07
I have a Gen 2 model 20 with a glock 6" barrel. I get a tad bit more energy out of my hand loads (180 grain @ 1400 fps versus 1300 fps in a 5").

The recoil is not much more than a decent 45 defense round but is much sharper.

nyalaman
June 26, 2014, 13:42
My 20c has very low felt recoil. far less than a 27.

homelandprotector
June 27, 2014, 12:41
At the range, I guess that you'll be easily identifiable due to the slide embedded in your forehead. Be sure to share some photos.:eek:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: OMG, Lol :bow: