April 18, 2012, 21:42
I just bought my first Glock today. I got a Model 23. I like the way it shoots,
but the trigger kills me. Is there any help for the trigger without sacrificing
reliability.
Bret

Tat2
April 19, 2012, 12:25
You can install a Glock 3.5lb ( actually 4lb ) connector. The stock Glock 23
is a 5.5lb connector. You can also polish up the contacting trigger parts too.

This will still give 110% reliability.

T

ftierson
April 19, 2012, 12:50
If you bought a police trade-in gun, you might have an 8 or 12 lb trigger.

If so, the standard 5.5 lb connector may be the way to go (personally, on a defensive gun, I like the standard factory 5.5 lb connector).

Otherwise, as Tat2 says...

Forrest

garyd1961
April 19, 2012, 19:09
I bought a Glock 22 police trade in that had a NY1 8# trigger spring and I didn't like the trigger. I kept the NY1 trigger spring and put a Ghost 3.5 connector in it, now I like it a lot better. It still has a about a 6-7# trigger pull but it's an even/steady pull. It also may be that I have gotten use to the trigger but my shooting has improved a lot.
BTW this is my first glock also.

jugrunner
April 19, 2012, 20:14
I just bought my first Glock today. I got a Model 23. I like the way it shoots,
but the trigger kills me. Is there any help for the trigger without sacrificing
reliability.
Bret

I know you're not asking me ... are you ... ??? ... :wink:

gobbler
April 19, 2012, 21:16
Trade it for a Sig & never worry bout 'glock toe":tongue::tongue::tongue:

gobbler

tothemax
April 19, 2012, 21:35
Polish the trigger and install a ghost inc 3.5lb connector.

My personal fav is the 5lb Ghost inc ranger trigger.

spider991
April 20, 2012, 10:55
forget the overpriced sig, keep the glock and have half a brain and you will never worry bout the "glock toe" bs...;)

BigEd63
April 20, 2012, 15:55
Polish the contact parts little bit.

Then shot the heck out of it a lot.

Tibodoe
April 20, 2012, 23:22
forget the overpriced sig, keep the glock and have half a brain and you will never worry bout the "glock toe" bs...

Spider, thats exactly what I thought. These are fantastic guns for
a very reasonable price.
Bret

cbr954fz1
April 23, 2012, 20:03
just got a glock 34 also and i had to watch this video to see how to disassemble the glock...

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000E6B-1295554954

littlematt
April 24, 2012, 15:16
the stock trigger lightens up a bit if you dry practice and shoot it

personally, i like the stock trigger. the 3.5 and other trigger jobs feel mushy to me, but that's just me.

polishing work helps smooth it out without making them feel mushy

emcroy
April 24, 2012, 20:16
I like to use an extra power trigger return spring, makes for a snappy trigger reset and seems to slightly lower pull as well.

I have one set up with a stock 5.5 connector with 1# heavier trigger return spring and a 1# lighter striker spring and I like it much better than another I have with a 3.5 Ghost connector with stock springs.

To me, it seems just adding the lighter connector lowers the pull weight but also makes for a slightly longer, mushier pull!

kennaquhair
April 30, 2012, 00:27
It depends on what you don't like about the trigger. It is heavy and I've gotten used to it. It makes me work at not creating bad habits. But it can be worse than just heavy.

I purchased a 21SF that had a horrible gritty trigger with a pull that felt like it started at 40 pounds and then felt like a Ginsu knife being drawn through a concrete block.

On removing the slide and looking at the trigger bar, I found that Glock had added a bump on the outside of the firing ping safety "cam" on the trigger bar (the shark fin). I understand that the bump is to keep the trigger bar from bowing towards the slide and failing to depress the firing pin safety (the round thingy that you can depress in your upside down slide). On inspection, the bump was showing signs of being carved up by the aforementioned Ginsu knife.

If your Glock trigger bar cam has the bump and the bump shows signs of being carved on, it will be apparent what is doing the carving. Look at the underside of the slide. Glock did not relieve the machined edge of the upper surface of the slide guide channel which abutts the firing pin safety. Say that quickly three times. It is the edge that makes a small detour about the round thingy.

I fixed the 21SF's horrible trigger problem by taking a small hard stone and cleaning up the serrations in the trigger bar bump and relieving that sharp machined edge in the slide in the area around, and a half inch forward and aft, of the firing pin safety. It didn't take much. It looks like a thin bright line.

YMMV

Kyrottimus
April 30, 2012, 15:25
Dryfire the crap out of it. Take special note of "prepping" the trigger (bringing it to the "wall" after the first stage--disengaging the trigger safety) and focus on keeping your sights steady when the trigger breaks past the wall, popping the striker.

Do this a few thousand times with a cleared weapon (and no loaded mags within arm's reach) on a small spot on your wall and you'll get used to the trigger. Also pay special attention to your trigger-reset too.

Glock triggers are fine, so long as you don't try to shoot them using a 1911 trigger-pull.

1911su16b870
May 03, 2012, 16:50
Glock triggers smooth out with tons of rounds through them.

My duty 21 breaks like glass after thousands of rounds through it...and not one FTF or FTE.

Tibodoe
May 03, 2012, 21:53
Glock triggers are fine, so long as you don't try to shoot them using a 1911 trigger-pull

This sound like good advice.
Bret

STGThndr
May 03, 2012, 23:52
Ugh... I just put money down on a 21... hope I didnt buy a POS...

Kyrottimus
May 05, 2012, 17:40
Ugh... I just put money down on a 21... hope I didnt buy a POS...

If you looked it over and function-tested it (and it's a Gen 3), I'm 99.99% sure it's not a POS.

STGThndr
May 07, 2012, 03:20
OK, how does one determine which "generation" the pistol is? It seems to be a police trade-in. Many local cops provide their own pistols (within departmental guidelines).

ftierson
May 07, 2012, 11:32
OK, how does one determine which "generation" the pistol is? It seems to be a police trade-in. Many local cops provide their own pistols (within departmental guidelines).

Generally, for the G17/19 and corresponding .40 models, and for the G21, the Gen1 guns had stippled grips, the Gen2 guns introduced the checkered grips, the Gen3 added finger 'bumps' on the front of the grip and the Gen4 add swapable grip panels on the rear of the grip.

Personally, I really like the Gen2 guns...

Forrest

STGThndr
May 07, 2012, 22:21
OK, got the finger-bumps. It ain't no 1911 or BHP, but maybe old dogs can learn new tricks, if only for the heck of it. May still swap into an XD in my accelerating divestment program. That is to say, assUming I had anything to divest to begin with, of course. The US military would have done well to have gone Glock over the Beretta, IMHO. Hard to believe that the pot-metal clunker outdid the Tupperware head to head.

ftierson
May 07, 2012, 23:18
The US military would have done well to have gone Glock over the Beretta, IMHO. Hard to believe that the pot-metal clunker outdid the Tupperware head to head.

The pot-metal clunker never did outdo the Tupperware head-to-head because the head-to-head never happened since the bright-lights in the DoD rejected the Tupperware out-of-hand because it is a DAO system (at least to their 'expurt' way of thinking...)

Forrest

MajK
May 12, 2012, 14:51
forget the overpriced sig, keep the glock and have half a brain and you will never worry bout the "glock toe" bs...;)

+1000

I've had 3 sigs before and now only have 4 glocks

down side to sigs:

expensive
rust...even stainless
cant take out the firing pin or take everytihng apart to the smalles pieces like glocks
DA/DA trigger...different pull from 1st (8lbx) to second shot 4- 5 lbs)
round grip instead of flat
15/20 rds instead of 17/33
less reliable
after market upgrades ...many more for glocks

the only down side to the glock is the trigger (creep) which isnt that bad

Kyrottimus
May 13, 2012, 12:31
+1000

I've had 3 sigs before and now only have 4 glocks

down side to sigs:

expensive
rust...even stainless
cant take out the firing pin or take everytihng apart to the smalles pieces like glocks
DA/DA trigger...different pull from 1st (8lbx) to second shot 4- 5 lbs)
round grip instead of flat
15/20 rds instead of 17/33
less reliable
after market upgrades ...many more for glocks

the only down side to the glock is the trigger (creep) which isnt that bad

You forgot super-high bore-axis and alloy frame galling. :tongue:

Skilter
May 14, 2012, 09:15
Glock triggers smooth out with tons of rounds through them.

My duty 21 breaks like glass after thousands of rounds through it...and not one FTF or FTE.

BINGO...

Shoot the MF'er. If I buy a new Glock ... and I want to use it as a shooter. I will go and just dump 200 rounds through it. THEN, I worry about the trigger pull.