PDA

View Full Version : Benellie M1 Super 90

DrDover
April 16, 2012, 20:46
I am thinking hard about picking one of these up for a pretty sweet price all hooked up for a bed side gun. Only problem I can see with em is that untill they have several thousand rounds down the pipe they don't like bird shot....... What say the FAL shotgunner gurus ?

April 16, 2012, 21:29
i was lookin at the benelli, and got the saiga12 for $550, shoots 3" to 2.75", 00 mags to wal-mart light target. very custmoizeable and rugged, its a kalashnikov.

1MOR
April 16, 2012, 23:26
I am thinking hard about picking one of these up for a pretty sweet price all hooked up for a bed side gun. Only problem I can see with em is that untill they have several thousand rounds down the pipe they don't like bird shot....... What say the FAL shotgunner gurus ?

Yes, they do take some break in, but my experience was less than 100 rounds and it will eat #6 bird shot. I broke it in with #00 buck and slugs and, kept the action very well lubed with CLP. I kept the mag tube clean with a very light application of lube. I had noticed other M1 Benelli shotguns at 3 gun matches, using low wall #6 shot, without problems.

Once broken in, these excel in rapid fire.

Tat2
April 17, 2012, 01:32
Get the normal M1 field gun with the 18.5" barrel and NO pistol grip and it will run
like a champ from day one. Its THE 3 Gun rig. Nobody gets the pistol grip model

T

jcornss
April 17, 2012, 18:35
My M1 S90 is an older HK import. I have no idea how many rounds have been through it. It eats anything I put in it. I was once in a 3gun match and everyone had there rifles and shotguns staged on tables in a safe area. It came a down poor and everyone ran to cover there rifles and shotguns up but me. When it came time for me to shoot, I just shook the water out and loaded up. The M1 S90 and my ar15 performed flawlessly that day......water and all.

thunderchicken
April 18, 2012, 12:01
Might worked flawlessly from day one. Never could get it to fit right, though and sold it

Tat2
April 18, 2012, 13:21
Might worked flawlessly from day one. Never could get it to fit right, though and sold it

My M2 came with pieces to change stock fit?

T

thunderchicken
April 18, 2012, 15:27
My M2 came with pieces to change stock fit?

T

Mine did too, never could get a good fit, though. The next owner loved it, mine ran great it was a reluctant sale, but if it wouldn't fit it was no good to me.

Tat2
April 18, 2012, 15:31
if it wouldn't fit it was no good to me.

True. To shoot it well.

T

Skilter
April 18, 2012, 16:00
Yes, they do take some break in, but my experience was less than 100 rounds and it will eat #6 bird shot. I broke it in with #00 buck and slugs and, kept the action very well lubed with CLP. I kept the mag tube clean with a very light application of lube. I had noticed other M1 Benelli shotguns at 3 gun matches, using low wall #6 shot, without problems.

Once broken in, these excel in rapid fire.

Good advice... just dont go hanging a bunch of sh*t on it to get all tactical and stuff. for some reason these guns don't like that and will cause poor performance. YMMV but I like em.

1MOR
April 18, 2012, 17:03
Good advice... just dont go hanging a bunch of sh*t on it to get all tactical and stuff. for some reason these guns don't like that and will cause poor performance. YMMV but I like em.

Absolutely, I have seen these choke when guys hang mall ninja $hit. The Benelli is recoil operated and is designed for maximum reliability as issued.

Skilter
April 22, 2012, 10:47
It's good to see that I am not full of crap all the time. :biggrin:

Rudolf
April 22, 2012, 15:15
funny story on my purchase

The pawn shop had my m1s90 labeled as a Mossberg590a1.

I told them of the mistake and they gave me an attitude of WELL DO YOU WANT IT.

It was priced at $325...

I took it....

they did label the 4473 correctly as a HK Benelli M1s90.

Only tactical things I did was a shell holder, mag extension and I added a bayonet lug from a StG57 to use the bayonet on it.

gunsmoke
April 22, 2012, 20:01
I've got a pair of M3s bought them w/a very low rd count conven stock ghost ring and mag ext. 1 I keep loaded with slugs the other with 3" #1 Buck

Never so much as a hiccup with either even when koaded with asstd low brass and mags. They sling them slugs like you wouldn't believe and pattern beautifully #1 through #000.

emcroy
April 23, 2012, 10:54
My M2 has been flawless with everthing from slugs to light trap loads from day one, it was purchased new!

J. Armstrong
April 23, 2012, 17:24
Only tactical things I did was a shell holder, mag extension and I added a bayonet lug from a StG57 to use the bayonet on it.

If the shell holder is the type that mounts to the side of the receiver you may want to ditch. As mentioned above, it can indeed cause reliability issues and is prone to marring and damaging the alloy receiver. No actual experience with the bayo but I wouldn't try one on a bet.

BTW, there are ( or were ) factory light load springs available for the S90 for the really light loads. I've never needed or used mine, but they do exist for whatever reason.
Rudolph, I envy you a great score :biggrin::beer:

MACV
May 07, 2012, 21:07
I have a Beretta 1201 FP, pretty much the same shotgun. Reliable but they do kick. Im not sure if there is much of a speed advantage over my Mossy pump due to the heavy recoil of the Beretta.

Sicarius
May 14, 2012, 16:20
I have an HK branded M1S90 and it has been flawless since I bought it. They can be sensitive to weight and how you hold it(if you have a pistol grip and stab/jerk to absorb the recoil will negate the inertia system). I have a fair ammount of weight with the side saddle, surefire and a total of 9 rounds in the magazine tube. Wonderful shotgun, easy to clean, super reliable and low maintainence. Some do take in some time to get everything worked in but nothing that some 00 buck can't fix in short time. Another thing is if you have a tacstar(I am not so fond of them) side saddle, if you tighten on it too hard, it can make the internals bind thus causing malfunctions.
Kevin

DrDover
May 20, 2012, 20:50
Well I picked it up and I really like it. As far as tacticool stuff it came with a surefire flashlight and some sling loops. I will be putting a different bolt handle on to help me with my 3 gun set up. Then the only thing I will do is shoot it ALOT....

rpk74dr
May 28, 2012, 11:04
Love my Benelli autos M121 and S90.My S90 is a LEO trade in.has a fair amount of finish wear but internals are pristine.The S90 likes to spit out the bolt handle quite often.What could be causing the bolt handle to be launched during recoil?Is there a cure for this problem?

El Mac
June 16, 2012, 14:48

I've never had ONE problem with bird shot in either of mine. Hundreds of rounds.

moonbat60
June 17, 2012, 21:22
Mine is a S90 M3 pump / semiauto convertible. Best shotgun I ever owned. It needed some break-in, but it runs like a champ.

They don't like shellholders attached to the receiver, I learned that myself.

Mine is utterly reliable. For low pressure loads is the pump mode, for everything else semiauto.

Mine has got the pistol grip rear stock, which works fine for me.

:fal:

Pete

ronpaulFAL
June 19, 2012, 12:17
You can't go wrong with this gun if you are willing to put up the cash for it. If you want to upgrade it, the cost of 922r compliant parts is ridiculous. I would only add that if you are going to use it as your bedside gun, be aware that if you ever actually use it, you stand a chance of not getting it back, regardless of whether you are prosecuted, etc. This is just the reality of PDs that have "lost" (melted down or demilled) guns after a certain period of time within their evidence lockers. For that reason, I suggest a pump gun or Saiga- they are one-third the price and will more than get the job done unless you are expecting many intruders.

I run a modified Remington 870P Max, but a Benelli or Saiga would be my only choices for a semi-auto shotgun. I have a lot of past experience with Benellis and they do have less obvious advantages in terms of ammunition management.

2barearms
July 19, 2012, 05:49
Love my Benelli autos M121 and S90.My S90 is a LEO trade in.has a fair amount of finish wear but internals are pristine.The S90 likes to spit out the bolt handle quite often.What could be causing the bolt handle to be launched during recoil?Is there a cure for this problem?

I've had an M121 for a while, haven't done much with it. Was wondering
if I decide to keep it, are there still parts available for these?