PDA

View Full Version : A tale of two stock adapters: Stormwerkz vs. ACE comparison

vandal968
April 08, 2012, 18:55
I’ve wanted a Woo for a long time and I finally got one, unfortunately, it had the stupid butthole stock. I started reading up on stock adapters and found that the consensus here seems to be that the Stormwerkz version is superior to the ACE one. I ended-up buying both, they are both good products, each of which has a couple of advantages & shortcomings compared to the other. Here’s a quick comparison:

Price:
Stormwerkz $50 delivered, ACE $52 delivered. The ACE included a free sling swivel that sells for $18, the Stormwerkz does not. Winner: ACE

Service:
When I emailed Stormwerkz to check stock on two items, I got a fast response. I was told that one item would be in stock the following week, and the other in a few months so I should probably get that item (a folding mechanism) from ACE instead. When I emailed again a week later to see if the promised item had arrived, I was told that it had, that very day. There had been a price increase since the last batch, so Josh told me to call in the order rather than using the website and he would give me the old price. This was WITHOUT me asking about it. AAA+++ service.

When I called ACE to order the folding mechanism, I was also considering buying the stock adapter since I wasn’t sure if I could trust Josh’s delivery estimate. The woman told me that shipping on one item would be $7 and shipping on two would be $16. WTF? I pointed out that both items were very small and combined took up no more space than a pack of cigarettes. “Can’t they just get stuffed in the $7 box?!” I was told “No”, it was a matter of the total order being a few dollars above $100 which required insurance. I asked if I could place two separate orders and pay $7/ea instead of the combined $16. Yes, I could. WTF? Idiotic. Winner: Stormwerkz

Length of pull:
The Stormwerkz adapter is 1” long, the ACE is .600”. Which is better will depend on the length of your arms, which stock you are using, whether you put a folder mechanism in there etc. Winner: Tie

Weight:
I’m always trying to save as much weight as possible. The Stormwerkz adapter and included hardware weighs 3-1/2oz, the ACE 2-3/4oz even with the included sling-swivel. Winner: ACE

Color/texture:
Neither adapter matches the Daewoo receiver. The Stormwerkz has a jet black finish that appears somewhat textured, it looks a lot like Maganese Phosphate, I believe that it’s a powder-coat. It looks good. The Finish on the ACE is smoother (anodized?) and matches the texture of the Daewoo receiver, but the color does not, it is not-quite black. The ACE finish is a perfect match for the SOB3 oem-style pistol grip. The ACE has a slight edge since it matches the grip which means that your rifle will be two-tone with the ACE and three-tone with the Stormwerkz. YMMV depending on your furniture. Winner (by a hair): ACE

Fit to rifle receiver:
The profile of the Stormwerkz matches the back of the receiver perfectly, there is no gap and the slot for the rib is a good solid fit. The ACE does NOT fit as well. There is a visible gap in the area with the radius, probably .030" or so. Additionally, the slot for the rib is too wide which makes for a sloppy fit. It is solid once bolted together, but they should have done better. Fail. Winner: Stormwerkz.

Compatibility:
The ACE is an ACE, it has (4) holes and a locating slot and is compatible with all of the standard ACE stuff. The stormwerkz has an additional set of mounting holes above the standard (4) giving (6) total. I experimented with a couple of different stocks and the topmost holes on the Stormworks are too high to be useful for anything I tried. It is possible that Stormworks has adapters that take advantage of them. The Stormwerkz is missing the ” slot down the center that is standard on the ACE. The missing slot means that an ACE adapter can use a Stormwerkz folding mechanism, but not the other way around. I emailed Josh to ask why he does not include a slot, but did not receive a reply. Winner: ACE

I’m not going to try to declare an overall winner, since your individual needs will dictate which adapter is a better solution for you. They are both good, but I didn’t find either one to be perfect for me. I’ve decided to make my own and incorporate the best features of each while adding a couple of unique touches. Stay tuned.

I hope that someone finds this useful.

Cheers,
v

vandal968
April 08, 2012, 23:27
I finished making my stock adapter. It's got the overall size of the Stormwerkz and the the bolt-pattern (with slot) of the ACE. I dumped the curve at the top used by both of those other two since neither lines up very well and replaced it with a smooth fillet. I think that this shape blends better with the receiver. Here is a picture with my adapter and an ACE hinge mounted. The hinge mounts flush thanks to the slot.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/9929/img0282sk.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/img0282sk.jpg/)

Ok, now here's the real magic. Here it is with a FAL stock mounted. This is truly mounted using both oem mounting points of the original FAL stock, this is not just sitting in-place for the photo. My adapter has a dual-mounting system to support ACE & Stormwerkz accessories AND it can mount a standard unmodified FAL stock. The buttstock is a 922R Penguin with a nasty original buttpad on it. The FAL stock has the perfect curve to match how the Daewoo is supposed to look. Length of pull is perfect, cheek weld feels great. I never got a cheek weld that I was happy with when using the other stocks on the Woo.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/9218/img0286sf.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/210/img0286sf.jpg/)

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/7108/img0288s.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/img0288s.jpg/)

Notice how the radii from the stock blend with the adapter and blend with the receiver itself. I didn't feel like pulling out the anodizing rig, so I just powder-coated it. I think it came out really well. The rifle feels much better with the FAL stock than with the original butthole, or any of the other stocks I've tried (A1, A2, 6-position telescoping).

<STRIKE>If anyone is interested, I put the Stormwerkz and ACE stock adapters up for sale in the marketplace. The Stormwerkz is two-weeks old, the ACE is one.</STRIKE> Both are sold.

cheers,
v

Topbanana
April 08, 2012, 23:49
Excellent post! Thanks!

LaConservationist
April 09, 2012, 05:51
Excellent post! Thanks!

EXCELLENT and very informative thread!!
The FAL stock sure does look SWEETTTT!!!

vandal968, have you thought about manufacturing and selling your adapter? I would certainly be in for one!! PM me with details if you would consider this!

LaC

vandal968
April 09, 2012, 11:33
Thanks for the kind words. If there is interest, I'd be willing to do a production run of these. I'd need to make 15 or 20 to make it worth the effort. These are a little more complicated to make than the other two styles. The FAL stock mount requires an additional part and the block itself requires an extra setup and a couple of additional operations. But, yes, if there's interest, sure, sounds like fun.

cheers,
v

LaConservationist
April 09, 2012, 13:31
Put me down for one! I am IN!!
MANY THANKS!

LaC

IslandTimes
April 09, 2012, 19:34
I'd be in for one too! If you made that inletted so that a folder would sit flush and an fal stock would still line up like the one in your picture, that would be perfect. You'd have to fit the folder upside down, and it would fold right, but that would be beyond awesome, giving you a folder that looks like it came from the factory. I'd buy two.

vandal968
April 09, 2012, 21:47
I'd be in for one too! If you made that inletted so that a folder would sit flush and an fal stock would still line up like the one in your picture, that would be perfect. You'd have to fit the folder upside down, and it would fold right, but that would be beyond awesome, giving you a folder that looks like it came from the factory. I'd buy two.

I'm with you, I really don't like the folders folding to the left. Besides being "wrong", they have a strong tendency to trip the bolt release which is pretty annoying and it screws-up the mounting for a sling (unless you're left-handed). Since the FAL stock is a humpback, it may be able to clear the charging handle on the right side, I haven't really looked into it yet. The problem is that the length of pull is already about 1" longer than a factory folder with this setup and if you added a folding mechanism, it would probably add another 3/4" to 1" to the stackup. A thinner buttpad would help (don't know if one is available). Another option might be to shorten the FAL stock, easier with a wooden one than a plastic one, but possible on either. How's this for a weird coincidence. I was showing my Woo to a machinist friend of mine today and said "I don't know if you've ever seen a Daewoo." He smiles and walks over to his safe then hands me his factory folder. Drool! If I can figure out a good way to clone the factory folder, I will. Give me a little time, I've had my Woo for less than a month ;)

cheers,
v

MyTFAL
April 09, 2012, 22:35
I'm in for one!!!

black sheep
April 12, 2012, 18:09
PM sent for adapter

mdkdc
April 21, 2012, 16:40
I think I would be interested. Also, first post if this goes through.

tiger222
April 25, 2012, 22:15
+1 on the fal adaptor, if you can make it shorter?, that would be great.
what is the LOP? I've found the AR15 A1 stock is just a tad too long with the stormwerkz adaptor.

nice effort!

vandal968
April 27, 2012, 01:47
+1 on the fal adaptor, if you can make it shorter?, that would be great.
what is the LOP? I've found the AR15 A1 stock is just a tad too long with the stormwerkz adaptor.

nice effort!

According to my tape measure, LOP is a hair under 15" with a Penguin stock and thick rubber buttpad. I'm short (5'7) and the LOP is perfect for me. I've had 6 people try it. Four said it's perfect, one said that LOP is too short, one said that LOP is too long. The guy that said that it's too long is in a wheelchair so that affects ergonomics for him (he shoots an AR-100 comfortably). Derek from Daewoorifleparts just did some work on my upper last week (came out AWESOME AAA+++). While I was there, he tried it out and thought it was perfect. He's probably got more experience with Daewoo's than anyone outside of Korea, so I feel pretty good about the fit.

There is no practical way to make the adapter shorter and still retain the ability to use a FAL stock. However, it can also be used with any ACE compatible stock, so the LOP can be made extremely short if desired. For example, with an M4 collapsible stock, LOP can be as short as 13", maybe even less with those stubby ACE skeletons. If you need to go even shorter, the ACE adapter is .400" shorter than mine, but then the FAL stock is not an option.

*UPDATE*
For grins, I just checked the length of the original butthole stock and it is only 1/32" shorter than the combined adapter & FAL stock. So, it's basically the same LOP as factory, but it looks about 100x better, feels 100x better, gives a proper cheek-weld and gives you all of the stock mounting options of the ACE & Stormwerkz adapters PLUS the option of the FAL stock too. Cool :)

cheers,
v

black sheep
April 27, 2012, 16:53
GREAT!!!!

Bob:cool::whiskey:

tiger222
April 28, 2012, 00:11
Vandal

I am on the edge :)

any chance of a full length pic to see the proportions completely?

thanks much!

vandal968
April 28, 2012, 08:33
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3465/img0311sl.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/20/img0311sl.jpg/)

I need to take a new picture now that I've got a correct FH from daewoorifleparts and a reparked barrel.

cheers,
v

aardq
April 28, 2012, 22:58
I'd be in for one. Make that 2 if one is a folder.

Dan

MyTFAL
April 29, 2012, 20:23
I'm ready lets get this party started.:biggrin:

Blain
April 30, 2012, 17:25
WTF? 15" is a HUGE LOP!!! Esp if you put you use a nose to the charging handle type cheekweld like you're supposed to for those AR style guns.

That stock / adaptor combo might have the same LOP as the abortion style thumb hole factory stock, but it is in no way the same length as the factory folder.

If it works for you, that's great. Personally, I would need a much shorter stock and a plate, no pad, on that thing.

vandal968
April 30, 2012, 19:04
Yes, if your DR200 with butthole stock is already too long for you, then you should avoid using a FAL stock since it's essentially the exact same length.

cheers,
v

black sheep
May 02, 2012, 14:48
Vandal,
Please do not let knuckleheads discourage you in making your adapter available......15 inches is perfect in my book....if it does not work for a individual, that sounds like a personal problem.....carry on!

Bob:cool::whiskey:

vandal968
May 03, 2012, 01:03
Thanks Bob. I'm going to assume that the LOP feedback from Blain was offered constructively :)

It's always going to be tricky to know what's going to feel good until you've got it in your hands, but I'm really pleased with how good this feels to me and the others that have tried it. It's about 1-5/8" longer LOP than a factory folder, which I find very short. The factory folder IS a perfect fit for my wife who is 5'2" (and a genuine Korean BTW). So yeah, lots of human factors to consider, that's why it's nice to have a stock adapter with a lot of options.

cheers,
v

Dasho101
May 20, 2012, 13:51
what pistol grip is that on your 200.... i just got mine a few days ago and amd about to start hunting for parts... also when ya have a price for your adapter let me know

vandal968
May 21, 2012, 00:23
what pistol grip is that on your 200.... i just got mine a few days ago and amd about to start hunting for parts... also when ya have a price for your adapter let me know

It's an oem-style from s0b3, IIRC it was $46. It's very nice, matches the original look perfectly.

cheers,
v

jam762
March 11, 2015, 14:37
Zombie alert!

Did these adapters ever happen?

jam762
March 15, 2015, 19:03
Bump for this adapter.

ServiceRifle
April 14, 2015, 18:11
Put me down for two (2)

2Bit Janitor
December 10, 2015, 13:13
Bump for interest in folding stock adapter.