PDA

View Full Version : fuel filter?

gunseller
April 01, 2012, 19:00
Filled with gas today 40 miles later loss of power between2500 and 3000 rpms. OK at less rpms. Added dry gas but no help. Car is a 2003 Hyundai Elantra. I am thinking fuel filter. Where is it located on this car?
Thanks
Steve

jwv3
April 01, 2012, 19:31
Hard to say. First question is there a check engine light on? If so, check the codes.

paulb2112
April 01, 2012, 20:03
It is located under the car in rear just in front of gas tank. Be carefull when disconnecting lines can have pressure still in line. Filter would be good place to start first. Then check pump.

gunseller
April 01, 2012, 20:05
Check engine light is not on. I am thinking fuel filter or water in gas I purchased. Any idea where fuel filter is located?
Steve

ncjeeper
April 01, 2012, 20:09
I would find the valve on the fuel rail and check the fuel pressure with a gauge first. No need to throw parts at it until you verify the problem.

FUUN063
April 01, 2012, 22:15
Yep, get a fuel pressure then check with manual.

Leland:shades:

ghengiskhan
April 01, 2012, 22:21
I had similar issues recently, loss of power on a 400 mile journey was not fun.

Later on I ran my OBDII scanner and came up with fuel pressure issues. Ended up being my in-tank pump... which of course, I had just filled up the day before. :rolleyes:
Pray it's not your fuel pump, they are expensive and difficult to install. :mad:

308/223shooter
April 01, 2012, 23:16
I see this often enough. Number one cause of premature pump failure, aside from a pissed off ex { suger in the tank } or running E-85 fuel, is lack of proper maintenance. No matter what your owners manual states, change the fuel filter once a year or every 24,000 miles. As the filter becomes restricted, it forces the pump to work harder to maintain prerssure and volume. You'll know your pump is dieing when you dump out the old filter into a clean container and find bits of black from the pump brushes. I replace a dozen pumps a year on average on customer trade ins or cars we've bought at auction. Always the same deal. 40+ thousand miles and the filter's never been repalced.
Hope your issue is just a plugged filter, a new pump on your car is a bit costly.

daimok
April 02, 2012, 07:19
go to autozone.com and sign up for the free repair guide , add your vehicle and then it will give you pictures and what to do to replace the filter

I sell autoparts and would never buy from autozone but they sometime have better help info than my store has.

NHBandit
April 02, 2012, 08:16
I had similar issues recently, loss of power on a 400 mile journey was not fun.

Later on I ran my OBDII scanner and came up with fuel pressure issues. Ended up being my in-tank pump... which of course, I had just filled up the day before. :rolleyes:
Pray it's not your fuel pump, they are expensive and difficult to install. :mad: Please take no offense ghengiskhan but ALL cars are not created equal. OBDII scanner is NOT the preferred method of testing fuel pressure. A fuel pressure guage is the only way to be sure. IF it is the fuel pump, not all of them are that difficult to replace and Car-Part.com is your friend. It is a nationwide auto salvage yard database where you can type in the year, make & model, the part you need and your location and it will give you all the local yards near you that have the part you need as well as the price & sometimes the mileage of the vehicle it came from. Also alot of cars, especially imports, have an access panel under the back seat or in the trunk held on with a few screws and when you remove it it exposes the top of the fuel tank right where the pump is located. No spilled gas, no dropping the tank (a bitch when full). AFTER making sure that is, in fact, your problem. Doing a search for your Hyundai, "midwest" as the location, etc. I found several good used pumps in the $100 range. This is for a complete pump assembly including sending unit, etc. Brand new pumps from the local auto parts store will typically not come as a complete unit and are much more work to swap. The website did ask if you have California or Federal emissions. The fact that your car probably wasn't sold new in CA dosn't matter. There are LOTS of CA compliant cars on the road nationwide. That info will be on your emissions decal under the hood. Update.. Just checked. Your car is one that has an access panel under the back seat. 15 minute job to change the pump if that turns out to be the problem. Maybe an hour if you're not real mechanically inclined. If it was my car & I didn't know how long it had been since the filter was changed I would do that first as a matter of course and then see if the problem goes away. It's cheap and should be done regularly anyway, not just when there is a problem. If you got some gas that had water in it dry gas may not help and there are different types of dry gas that work better than others. Many years ago when I had my own garage I had a sales rep demonstrate the difference. One type when mixed with water & shaken would almost immediately separate in the test tube he mixed it in. The other type would mix & stay mixed indefinately. Isopropyl sp ? and Methyl Alcohol. Can't remember which was the best.. Most cheap dry gas you buy is mainly designed to help with minor condensation, NOT when the gas station is neglecting to test for water & you get a cupfull with your fill up. If you did get a significant quantity of water in your tank the only way to remove it is to empty the tank & start over. If that turns out to be the case send them the bill. HTH

Dirt1042
April 02, 2012, 09:59
Try injector cleaner or Sea Foam to start. Fuel filters are easy to find. They will be mounted along the frame toward the rear but in front of wear your gas tank is. They are fairly inexpensive, but can be a pain to get threaded on sometimes. Most oil lube places can change it for you, but you will pay 5 to 6 times the cost of DIY.

gunseller
April 02, 2012, 21:59
From what I have read the fuel filter on my car is under the hood so it should not be a big problem. Have not looked to see if I can find it but will. NHBangit thanks for the info on the access panel under the seat. Will make changing it easier if that is what I end up having to do. It is isop... that is the good dry gas. I used to sell auto parts and supplies.
Steve

SWOHFAL
April 02, 2012, 23:24
go to autozone.com and sign up for the free repair guide , add your vehicle and then it will give you pictures and what to do to replace the filter

I sell autoparts and would never buy from autozone but they sometime have better help info than my store has.

Pep Boys sells worse crap and they have sucky repair facilities that use their junk parts at prices that would make a dealership embarrassed.

yovinny
April 03, 2012, 07:24
Last time I had bad gas was about 10 years ago, but it was a major bitch.
It must have been contaminated with partical or something, rather than the usual water.
I'd change it out and it would run fine for a week or two and all of a sudden start acting up again.
I had to drive around with extra filter and wrenches for about three months and countless fill-ups, because you just never know when it might decide to suck some up and act up again.
Think I went through like 6-7 filters :rolleyes:

Hope you'r luck is better.
Cheers, YV

daimok
April 04, 2012, 08:16
Pep Boys sells worse crap and they have sucky repair facilities that use their junk parts at prices that would make a dealership embarrassed.

who said anything about pep boys ? I dont work there but i do agree with your statement about them

SWOHFAL
April 04, 2012, 09:04
who said anything about pep boys ? I dont work there but i do agree with your statement about them

Just letting folks know there are worse places than AutoZone for parts. A lot of weekend racers actually like AZ duralast rotors for showroom stock and modified street classes.