PDA

View Full Version : Who knows about flags?

jefferyc22
March 27, 2012, 23:49
Yes it's 48 stars which puts it between 1912 and 1952.
I bought it at an estate sale about ten years ago....the tag said it was over 75 years old and 100% wool(true...it has a few moth holes)
It measures 48 by 96 and has 2 brass grommets like a regular flag.
Is this a burial flag or a standard pole flag?
Any way of figuring aprox age?
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p289/jefferyc22/Droid%20Uploads/2012-03-27212626.jpg

def90
March 27, 2012, 23:55
I have my great uncles WW1 burial flag that is about that size.. mine seems to have silver grommets though, i will have to take it out and look at it to verify.

Look at exercise ball in background for scale.. lol.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-DoWIO11ZJGg/T3KaNVMwnrI/AAAAAAAABDk/IX4S4h_zHWo/s800/P1020002.JPG

denver
March 28, 2012, 00:10
Nice find. I believe burial flags are 5' X 9.5'. Look for a manufacturer's name on the white edge (Annin, Valley Forge, etc...) I did some looking for 48-star flags a couple of years ago and found, at that time, Annin flags to be the most sought after. HTH.

def90
March 28, 2012, 00:16
Nice find. I believe burial flags are 5' X 9.5'.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure mine is bigger than the 48x96 that the OP posted..

RG Coburn
March 28, 2012, 08:49
I bought it at an estate sale about ten years ago....the tag said it was over 75 years old and 100% wool(true...it has a few moth holes)

Are you sure they ain't bullet holes?

jefferyc22
March 28, 2012, 09:11
Are you sure they ain't bullet holes?

Def possible.

martin35
March 28, 2012, 11:03
48 stars was the national standard 1912 to 1959 when Hi and Ak stars were added,,, Mexico and Kenya are the invisible stars,,,, with more to be added.

E5c03
March 28, 2012, 11:40
48 stars was the national standard 1912 to 1959 when Hi and Ak stars were added,,, Mexico and Kenya are the invisible stars,,,, with more to be added.

Don't forget Purto Rico too..

homelandprotector
March 28, 2012, 14:17

Invisible stars. :rofl::rofl::bow:

lew
March 28, 2012, 14:58
Slightly related, but pardon me if this counts as a hijack, but does anyone know where to get decent quality new manufacture wool or cotton (or some other natural fiber) flags? I have some polyester ones representing the countries my ancestors hailed from. I'd like to replace those with something a little classier. Something cheap would be nice, as it's a lot of countries. If I have to pay, oh well, no big deal.

Jeffrey, mind taking pictures of the damage to the flag?

big44man
March 28, 2012, 16:48
I thought there was fifty seven states ! Wha hoppen?

gunnut1
April 06, 2012, 20:20
Slightly related, but pardon me if this counts as a hijack, but does anyone know where to get decent quality new manufacture wool or cotton (or some other natural fiber) flags? I have some polyester ones representing the countries my ancestors hailed from. I'd like to replace those with something a little classier. Something cheap would be nice, as it's a lot of countries. If I have to pay, oh well, no big deal.

Jeffrey, mind taking pictures of the damage to the flag?

Lew, there are a ton of places on the Internet that sell all sorts of flags. Just do Google search for what you want.

ratas calientes
April 07, 2012, 11:25

There was about six months between Alaska and Hawaii becoming states. During this period the flag had 49 stars. My neighbor across the street has a flag with 49 stars. He used to fly it, until someone pointed it out to him, and he now keeps it in the house.

Powderfinger
April 07, 2012, 15:00
There was about six months between Alaska and Hawaii becoming states. During this period the flag had 49 stars. My neighbor across the street has a flag with 49 stars. He used to fly it, until someone pointed it out to him, and he now keeps it in the house.

While not an official flag, it's perfectly fine to fly it if in proper condition. If hoisted along with an official 50 star flag it should hang lower than the 50 star. The same applies to any previously official flag of the US.

Ricketts
April 07, 2012, 19:55
I have a mess of old flags. 37, 38, 40, 42, 45, 46, 48, 49. All original.

At the last house, the porch was set up so I could safely clip one up to fly it and I would do so on calm days.

I was flying the 38 one day in a 4th of July weekend while I was cutting grass and a car pulled up with a local newspaper reporter wanting to ask me questions. Fine. She pointed out that I shouldn't be flying it due to 'regulations'. So why was I flying it?

I told her I felt it was my responsibility to be a caretaker to such a fine old historical relic. And like the owner of an old car, I like to take my flags out to see the sun once in a while when appropriate. As long as the weather isn't rough and the flag hangs, it's out, sees the light of day, and is enjoyed by others--and it's MY house, MY flag and it is being done in respect!

Had a nice article and pic--and all positive comments from local townfolk.

It's too bad--my current home isn't set up that I can easily fly these again.

Reminds me--I had an unofficial 39 that I sold in a weak moment for some very insane money. Have never been able to find another.