PDA

View Full Version : Korean Glock mags.

garyd1961
March 12, 2012, 20:05
This is not meant to be a professional review but just my take on these.
I bought a Glock 22 recently and it came with only one mag so I was looking for extra mags and ran across some Korean mags for something like $9.95 each on E-Bay. I bought a couple to check out and when they arrived they looked pretty good from the outside. At first they were hard to load so I took them apart. Once I disassembled them I noticed excess plastic around the lip area and the floorplate area so I removed the excess plastic and reassembled them. They worked a lot better after removing the plastic. Also I found once you loaded them they will not drop free on their own but they ran ok.
I don't think they are as good as factory mags but they do work after you clean them up and should make good range mags. Also I would just like to say J&G Sales has used police mags for $14.95 round about not sure on the exact price but the one I got is in great shape.
Just thought I would post this in case anyone was looking some cheap mags.

Edit-I was in a hurry when I wrote this so I just want to say I discovered the part about the excess plastic on a you-tube video.

fal fiend
March 16, 2012, 22:16
i bought 2, neither were drop free & only 1 would hold open.

SPEEDGUNNER
March 17, 2012, 08:26
There is just something about the words "Korean" and "Glock" in the same sentence that do not instill confidence.

I know the Korean mags can be found cheap, but if you are patient and hunt hard enough you can find factory Glock mags in the $12-15 price range, and the peace of mind knowing they will work is worth the few extra bucks.

gunplumber
March 17, 2012, 10:21
the magazine is the weakest link in any semiauto design. Factory mags can be had for $20 if you look carefully, $25 pretty common.

Why on earth would anyone risk their lives over saving $10?

GSP228
March 17, 2012, 18:35
CDNN has them this weekend, new, factory, Glock mags, for $20 and $5.99 S&H no matter how big the order (Internet special). Can't beat that with a stick.

garyd1961
March 17, 2012, 20:55
I never said I would use them for self defense. I only said I thought they would make good range mags.

gunplumber
March 17, 2012, 21:00
in my opinion, there is no such thing as a "range mag" (in your context). There is "reliable", and there is "smash with a hammer so nobody ever gets stuck with it".

What do you do when your range mag is all you've got?

What do you do when you get a malfunction, but because you are using a known-poor quality magazine, you can't diagnose the problem.

I have my "range mags" but they differ from my "go-to-war" mags only in the fact they have "R-1, "R-2" written on them, instead of being assigned to a rifle (A-1, B-1, etc). And I put a lot more wear on them, a lot faster. But they are the same quality as my go-to-war mags and I wouldn't hesitate to give them to a friend or family member, or use myself, if ever there is a need to fight the zombie lizardmen from Mars. Should one of them start to give me trouble, I destroy it, so it will never get mixed in with "my life depends on it" mags.

tdb59
March 17, 2012, 22:12
in my opinion, there is no such thing as a "range mag" (in your context). There is "reliable", and there is "smash with a hammer so nobody ever gets stuck with it".

What do you do when you get a malfunction, but because you are using a known-poor quality magazine, you can't diagnose the problem.

I have my "range mags" but they differ from my "go-to-war" mags only in the fact they have "R-1, "R-2" written on them, instead of being assigned to a rifle (A-1, B-1, etc). And I put a lot more wear on them, a lot faster. But they are the same quality as my go-to-war mags and I wouldn't hesitate to give them to a friend or family member, or use myself, if ever there is a need to fight the zombie lizardmen from Mars. Should one of them start to give me trouble, I destroy it, so it will never get mixed in with "my life depends on it" mags.

AMEN ! Tell it !

Murphy will show up without any help, and sure as shootin' THE mags one grabs will be the crappers if there are any.

garyd1961
March 17, 2012, 22:43
Do you mean every gun and every mag you have is 100% dependable? I have four glock mags two factory and two Koreans. The only problem with the Koreans is they wont drop free when loaded but they function fine other than that. One of my factory mags I can only run 14 rounds in because if I force the 15th round in it wont lock into the gun. If I was worried about a war breaking out I had rather have the Korean mag with 15 rounds than the Glock with 14.
I keep my Factory mags loaded with JHPs and my Korean mags loaded with FMJs. The only time I have the Korean mags with me is when I go to practice and even then I keep the gun loaded with the factory mags until I get there. There is no need to put wear and tear on my factory mags when I can use the Korean mags.
I didn't know I was risking my life by buying Korean mags though. I guess I had better get rid of my 22 pistol ,my black powder rifles and a few more less potent guns I own. I mean just suppose the zombies attact and I happen to grab one of them.

tdb59
March 17, 2012, 23:03
Every magazine I own is 100% reliable. Even the Greek Garand clips get crunched.
I do not worry about revolver magazines, but unreliable speedloaders get crunched, too. :smile:

garyd1961
March 17, 2012, 23:13
I have mags I never used but all that I have tried worked. That doesn't mean they will work the next time though. All I said was the Korean mags I got functioned except for dropping free which isn't a big deal to me. Why should I smash up mags that work just because they came from Korea? Also if they function how am I risking my life?

tdb59
March 17, 2012, 23:25
If an item works, it works, right ?

I crunch Greek Garand clips because I have found them to be substandard.

I have crunched 2 HKS speedloaders because they would not release all the rounds, and the wife and I both use them.

If a magazine works, keep it.

Use your own judgement, it is your equipment.

gunplumber
March 18, 2012, 09:37
Do you mean every gun and every mag you have is 100% dependable?

First, I said magazine, not gun. But still yes. For the most part.

Why does that seem to baffle you? I can see no point in owning something that isn't 100% dependable.

I do have a piece of shit ASA 9mm upper for my M16 that has given my problems since day 1. It is in my "figure out what's wrong with this piece of shit" pile, as is my Spikes .22 AR-15. It has been a worthless piece of crap since the day that company lied to me and ripped me off with their shit product. If I ever get around to them, and decide they aren't fixable, I'll part them out and maybe replace them. Since they were both "toys" they aren't high on my priority list.

Timber Wolf
March 19, 2012, 07:11
Do you mean every gun and every mag you have is 100% dependable? It is in my "figure out what's wrong with this piece of shit" pile.

Hey! I have a pile like that too! Stuff I'm saving for after retirement when I have time to be agravated with them.

Bug Tussell
March 19, 2012, 10:13
I have some KCI and they work fine.
Weren't these produced for the Korean military?

garyd1961
March 19, 2012, 17:16
I have some KCI and they work fine.
Weren't these produced for the Korean military?

I'm not sure if the military produced them but I have read that the Korean Police use them.

PARA FN FAL
March 19, 2012, 21:24
I have been using Korean mags in my Glocks and I bought some of their HK knock off M16 mags. All have functioned perfectly so far. The only Korean mag that has given me a problem is the Beta mag copy. I really do only use these for range mags so if I loose one I am out only about 10 bucks each.

ratas calientes
March 20, 2012, 10:23
I have wasted a lot of money trying to save money on cheap magazines. No low-brow aftermarket crap like Triple-K and similar. I have a pile of original SIG mags for my P6s, plenty of surplus for my AKs, ARs, and FALs. I use Chip McCormick for my 1911. Use good tools. They are worth it.

sf46
March 21, 2012, 00:13
I have several of these. From the outside, they look very good. They look almost identical to factory Glock mags. The only way I was able to tell, was the marking on the bottom of the floor plate says American Tactical instead of Glock. The problem I've had with them is that if you keave them loaded, the spring starts loading the rounds up weakly. I think they are ok for range mags, but not for duty carry.

Bawana jim
March 22, 2012, 09:08

I paint the bottom of my mags white so I can tell when I have trouble with them. I do use them for the range for training for when the gun jams. It is important to me to be able to clear a jam as quickly as possible. Bad mags help me train, better to practice clearing jams at the range than in the field.

tdb59
March 22, 2012, 13:15
I paint the bottom of my mags white so I can tell when I have trouble with them. I do use them for the range for training for when the gun jams. It is important to me to be able to clear a jam as quickly as possible. Bad mags help me train, better to practice clearing jams at the range than in the field.

Good for you on your practice.
Another way is to have a buddy set up the malf, using good mags, and you get to clear a problem that you were blind to. Then you set up a different malf for your buddy.
No junk mags, no pre-diagnosis of the problem- kinda like for realsies.:)

OldLawman
March 24, 2012, 22:04
picked up 5 two years ago. My group shoots and trains in all weather, and it seems to only rain on those days ! Lots of mud and sand. Given that Glock mags are a real PIA to disassemble and clean as compared to almost anything else, they are my bad weather range mags. I have tested all of my factory mags, and know they work.

Long story short: At least the 5 Korean mags I bought work in both my G19s, feeding, locking open, dropping free. YMMV.

gaijinsamurai
March 28, 2012, 11:08
AIM Surplus has used Glock 22 magazines for $12.95.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MGlk22&name=Glock+22+15rd+.40cal+Magazine&groupid=16

Rudolf
April 01, 2012, 00:38
I used one for my glock 26, it spit out its guts.I'll stick with factory mags thanks.

Embarassing is that it dis in a class.

VALMET
April 01, 2012, 07:43
the magazine is the weakest link in any semiauto design. Factory mags can be had for $20 if you look carefully, $25 pretty common.

Why on earth would anyone risk their lives over saving $10?

Completely agree with GP. Spend a few more bucks and get a factory magazine

Airacuda
April 04, 2012, 19:58
I use the KCI's in my model 19. Got them when they were $4.99 at CDNN a year or 2 ago. also got 6 33 rounders for less than 10 bucks a piece. All mine work just as good as factory and all drop free. When I bought them there was an option of drop free or not. I dissasembled the mags and they were identical to GLOCK. I have added the +3 to some mags and now can't tell what is KCI or GLOCK. Over 2000 rounds in 8 mags with no issues here.

FAL_Liebhaber
September 01, 2012, 15:28
I got 2 of the KCI g17 mags for $5 ea from CTD about a year ago,I intended them to be beater/malfunction practice mags along with 2 factory 10rd mags from the ban.
they weren't as crappy as I had anticipated and I haven't had any issues with them(lucky? maybe I dont know).
still wouldnt buy them for anything serious when you can get factory mags for $20-$22 delivered,why even bother with them.

dont skimp on the important stuff