PDA

View Full Version : mossburg bullpup prototype

dix2111
March 05, 2012, 15:53
I dont have any pictures yet of it installed. ( I no longer have a mossburg 500) However it does fit and function perfectly. The trigger linkage is simple but works very well with no creep and no trigger pull increase.
The problem is that I havent actually fired it with live ammo yet. I can see possible problems with the bolt going through the reciever and trigger mech elongating or or even cracking the shotgun receiver from the recoil.

I can design a recoil lug but I want to test it out first. I posted an add in WTB to see if anyoe hd a P.O Crap mossburg 500 series they want to sell cheap. I have expect it to damage the reciever so I dont want to use a nice one.
Any thoughts from any of you who are so wise in the ways of gunsmithery.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dix2111/IMG_1346.jpg

dix2111
March 05, 2012, 15:57
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dix2111/IMG_1348.jpg

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dix2111/IMG_1344.jpg

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dix2111/IMG_1343.jpg

Deltaten
March 05, 2012, 20:53
dix;

Is it strictly the cross-bolts/pins that prevent rearward movement within the shell; or is there a positive stop in back for the rear of the rcvr?? It appears that the butt plate is longer than the rear of the rcvr ???

The solid rib atop is /was to be an optic mount? The flared, paint speckled (!?) tube is the fore-end??

Interesting unit. Do you know if it's a factory Mossy or could it be an aftermarket run-up?

Thanx for the pix :D

dix2111
March 05, 2012, 23:09
The screw on the left replaces the trigger guard pin and the screw on the right fits tight forward of the reciever. They are screwed in tight and hold the reciever by compression.

I left out an aluminum block that screws into the rear of the shotgun reciever. The original buttplate then screws into the aluminum block.

The receiver fits tight into the bullpup housing and is compressed by tightening the screws.

You are correct about the fore end. It is much shorter than the original and is placed all the way forward.
The top was a battery compartment for a laser sight.
As far as I know this is a home build however it is built extremly well. If it actually stands up to firing it would be the best feeling shotgun bullpup I have ever seen.
Boy is it ugly though but I love my ugly guns

Deltaten
March 05, 2012, 23:30
LOL ugly enuff fer only a mother or gunnut ta luv. Seems pretty well designed and executed fer a home-brew!

The block you "left out" is prolly the bearing for the butt-stock attachment bolt. So there's yer recoil lug. Apparently the pins/screws are to keep the action from moving fwd during return to battery and (possibly) tearing out the BS screw...if there *is* one?
Looks like formed sheet metal and a lot of heli-arc or Tig fill/weld! I sure would like to see the pix of assembly and final mount.
Now it has me wondering if someone couldn't whip up a carbon fiber/fibre glass/kevlar reinforced shell the same way. Looks like all it would take is a slug the same cross section as the rcvr; then cut'n'paste, just like the fill and weld done on that one.

Hmmmmm..............?????

dix2111
March 07, 2012, 19:41
No takers huh? I guess its off to wally world for a new one.
I can believe what used Mossbergs are going for around here. I went around to the pawn shops and used gun shops and found that even a beater was going for $200 to $300. Thats insane. A new mossberg 500 is just under $300 at wallmart.
I used to find $100 beaters all over the place. Are those days gone?

catmguy445
March 21, 2012, 18:06
No takers huh? I guess its off to wally world for a new one.
I can believe what used Mossbergs are going for around here. I went around to the pawn shops and used gun shops and found that even a beater was going for $200 to $300. Thats insane. A new mossberg 500 is just under $300 at wallmart.
I used to find $100 beaters all over the place. Are those days gone?

I think they probably are, at least for the forseeable future. I haven't seen a gun for sale anywhere for under $200 that is in working condition for a couple of years or so. Most used guns in decent working order with at least 90% of the original finish seem to be around $500 now, give or take 50 bucks. The only real exception to that seems to be .22's, and even .22's seem to be over the $200 mark. It's getting harder to find a good deal on a gun any more.