PDA

View Full Version : Generation????

oilcan72
February 25, 2012, 10:52
Hello everyone,

I have been given a Glock 19 by my father in law, I have shot it and it works fine, my question is, I see everyone talking about generation this or generation that, what does this exactly mean? I have no idea what generation my glock is. Do parts differ between generations? I am confused.

Thank You for any help.

oilcan72

garyd1961
February 25, 2012, 15:26
I'm new to Glocks but from what I have learned it's mostly differences in the grip until you get to the gen4 which has different recoil springs. The gen3 has a rail added and finger groves in the grip. The gen4 also has a inter-changable backstraps. That's about all I can help with, I'm sure I left out a lot and hopefully someone else can fill it in.

VALMET
February 25, 2012, 16:30
Gen 1 Glocks (all 17s and a very few 19s): wrap around pebble grain on the pistol grip, no thumb groove on grip and no rail. Gen 2: no thumb groove on grip and no rail, slightly modified grip (back strap began to have serrations). Gen 3: thumb groove on pistol grip, rail , grooves for fingers in front of pistol grip. Gen 4: grip modified texture, different recoil spring, "Gen4" marked etc. These are just things I've noted over the years I'm not an expert.

As far as I can tell
Gen. 1: 1983-89
Gen. 2: 1990-98ish
Gen 3: 1998/99-2010
Gen 4: 2010-present

LaConservationist
February 25, 2012, 17:39
Gen 1 Glocks (all 17s and a very few 19s): wrap around pebble grain on the pistol grip, no thumb groove on grip and no rail. Gen 2: no thumb groove on grip and no rail, slightly modified grip (back strap began to have serrations). Gen 3: thumb groove on pistol grip, rail , grooves for fingers in front of pistol grip. Gen 4: grip modified texture, different recoil spring, "Gen4" marked etc. These are just things I've noted over the years I'm not an expert.

As far as I can tell
Gen. 1: 1983-89
Gen. 2: 1990-98ish
Gen 3: 1998/99-2010
Gen 4: 2010-present

And was there a specific Gen code or name for the models with the FISH GILL Slide Serration's?

VALMET
February 25, 2012, 19:46
To my knowledge no...those were a run at the end of the Gen 3/very beginning of Gen 4 I think

And was there a specific Gen code or name for the models with the FISH GILL Slide Serration's?

metalreptile
February 26, 2012, 21:58
From the interwebs.........

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k102/metalreptile/glockframes.jpg

oilcan72
February 28, 2012, 07:49
Hello everyone,

From the looks of it I have a 3rd generation, I must say I have never liked these before but it sure is an accurate little pistol. The grip has a void in it behind the magazine well, does anything go in there or is it meant to be left hollow? there is a hole about an inch above the bottom of the grip that looks like something would snap into? or maybe just a drain hole? There is a rail on it and that is nice. I think I'll keep it and shoot it every once in a while. I might carry it in hot weather. My 1911 is still my favorite but this Glock is nice.

Thank You everyone for your help.

oilcan72

metalreptile
February 28, 2012, 19:51
You can get an aftermarket plug for the hole at the bottom of the grip. Never used one, but many do.
I just swab the dust out every time I clean the pistol. :beer: