PDA

View Full Version : new to me wheels

Jailguard
February 24, 2012, 15:09
Well this weeked I traded my 00 Expedition in on a Mazda 3 5 door. With Gas prices rising I figured now was a good time to get rid of the big truck. I was getting 10mpg in town with it and it needed about 2k worth of repair to bring it back to factory. . The only thing I don't like is having a car payment again but at least what I am saving on gas is making the payment. The little 2.3 4 cyl in it has some umph to it also.

Thorack
February 24, 2012, 15:58
Yep,

I did similar, the only thing I miss is the higher ride height. Other than that no issues.

Thorack

jwv3
February 28, 2012, 17:35
I was thinking about doing the same, but the math didn't support it for my situation. My daily driver is a '92 Explorer. I get 20 mpg commuting to work. Figuring at todays gas prices and the distance I drive, I spend $1800/yr in my Ex. going to and from work. If I bought a car that got 35mpg, I would spend $1026/yr. That would give me about $64 per month in savings to put toward the car. With that, I can't justify buying a car for mpg savings until my Explorer dies. I think it will go a couple more years anyway.

Chip
February 29, 2012, 18:45
I just traded in my 07 Toyota Tundra for a Toyota RAV4 6 cyl. Get 26 MPG, not the 13 or 14 I got on the Tundra. It's got all the Hi-tech junk in it, even a back up camera, and GPS. And Serious XM radio. Lay the back seats down, and I have quite a lot of cargo space. I like it.

Ironhandjohn
February 29, 2012, 20:18
I sold my Dodge Caravan last spring when my daughter deployed for Iraq and drove her 2010 Toyota Yaris while she was away. I had to give it back to her Thanksgiving when she got back. as happy as I was that she got back, I missed that little car, a 2010 Toyota Yarus.

I found a 1996 Honda Civic Del Sol in January for very cheap on Craigslist, $1400. I had to put new tires and an exhaust system from the catalytic converters back, but I still came out ahead. 36mpg in mixed city and highway driving, stripped down, nothing I don't want and everything I do. Even the a/c works. Every day that it's not raining or very cold I'm driving with the top off.

MK ULTRA
March 01, 2012, 15:22
Yeah it makes more MONEY sense to drive a PAID FOR vehicle for the following reasons. None of these could I get my father to understand.

1 Full coverage car insurance. 700+/year

2 New car payment. $400+/month = 4800+/year

3 15000 miles/yr 30 mpg avg = $500 X $4.00/gal = $2000

$4800 + $700 + $2000 = $7500/year

Drive your paid for vehicle

1 Libility ins $350/yr

2 Car payment 0

3 My Toyota 4x4 gets 20 mpg so 15000 miles/yr at 20 mpg = 750 gallons X $4.00/gal = $3000

Total = $3000 + $350 = $3350/year so I'm less than one half.

Just sayin

catmguy445
March 02, 2012, 17:07
I just traded in my 07 Toyota Tundra for a Toyota RAV4 6 cyl. Get 26 MPG, not the 13 or 14 I got on the Tundra. It's got all the Hi-tech junk in it, even a back up camera, and GPS. And Serious XM radio. Lay the back seats down, and I have quite a lot of cargo space. I like it.

Last summer, the wife decided I needed a new car. So we went car shopping for about a month, looking at reports and statistics, and figuring out what would be the most practical and useful vehicle for what I would use if for the most. We decided that a small SUV-type thing would work out best, so then we started doing test drives. Lots of test drives. We must have driven at least a dozen different makes and models; Jeep, Nissan, Ford, Subaru, Kia, VW, Chevy, Toyota, Honda, and so on. It finally boiled down to the Ford Escape and the Toyota RAV4, so we went back and took both of them on a more extended test drive. After that, we both liked the way that the RAV4 handled and rode, and we liked the interior features better than the Escape. The model we got was the mid-grade, with V6 engine and Sirius XM radio. We didn't get the backup camera or GPS (I can still read a map), but I did have fog lights installed by the dealer, and we had the Xylon treatment done.

So far, we've taken the RAV from Boise to Portland last summer, and from here to the Los Angeles area over Christmas, and it's a great road car, and is also good around town. It gets decent (about 22-24mpg) mileage in town, and almost 30 mpg on the road. We also got the 4wd option, and in bad weather, the RAV never feels like it's going to lose traction. The wife absolutely LOVES the car. Funny how I needed a new car, and she drives it about 75% of the time :wink:. However, I have to agree with her. In the 8 months that we've owned it, I haven't really found anything I don't like about it. I would have preferrd a stick shift, but you can't get the 4WD with a stick. However, it has a 5-speed automatic that you can shift manually if you feel like it, which I do sometimes. I'd definitely recommend the RAV4 to anyone who migh be looking for a small to mid-size SUV-type vehicle. This one's a definite keeper.

By the way, one last note on the radio. Now that I have a Sirius satellite radio, I don't know how I ever survived a long road trip without one. It's almost worth buying the car just to get the radio.:bow: