PDA

View Full Version : 45 GAP?

metalreptile
February 21, 2012, 17:10
I've never paid much attention to the 45GAP round, and know next to nothing about it. Out looking around today & found a near new Glock 45GAP. Don't remember the model number, but it felt about the same size as my model 19. Looks to be a Gen 3. Priced at $375, I MIGHT can get it for a little less. Seller says the round is basically the same as a 45ACP, but a hair shorter? Sort of a Glock specific round I suppose? He also says the ammo is expensive unless you reload, which I don't. But, it would be carried far more than shot anyway. Does this sound like a deal too good to pass up, or one to leave where it is? I don't need another Glock, but the 45 would be nice! :biggrin:
Edjamacate me on the 45GAP round also.......anywhere near as good as the ACP? What say ye? :beer:

jugrunner
February 21, 2012, 17:19
I've never paid much attention to the 45GAP round, and know next to nothing about it. Out looking around today & found a near new Glock 45GAP. Don't remember the model number, but it felt about the same size as my model 19. Looks to be a Gen 3. Priced at $375, I MIGHT can get it for a little less. Seller says the round is basically the same as a 45ACP, but a hair shorter? Sort of a Glock specific round I suppose? He also says the ammo is expensive unless you reload, which I don't. But, it would be carried far more than shot anyway. Does this sound like a deal too good to pass up, or one to leave where it is? I don't need another Glock, but the 45 would be nice! :biggrin:
Edjamacate me on the 45GAP round also.......anywhere near as good as the ACP? What say ye? :beer:

I know you're not asking me ... :biggrin:

flopshot
February 21, 2012, 17:22
45 GAP or G.A.P. (Glock Automatic Pistol) so yes it's Glock specific.
I suppose if you're not shooting much it's a pretty good price for an auto and the reviews are predominately positive. I'd pay that price. You can Google the ballistics if you want to compare the GAP to the 45 ACP.

metalreptile
February 21, 2012, 17:32
I know you're not asking me ... :biggrin:

Did I say Glock?? I meant 1911!!! :rofl: :beer:

SPEEDGUNNER
February 22, 2012, 09:20
The .45GAP is a wonderful round, and it is unique to Glock. Shorter than ACP, with just as much kick. Glock offers 3 pistols chambered in this cartridge, the full size 37 (as used by PA State Police/NY State Police), the compact 38 (frame is same size as G19 with thicker slide) and the sub-compact 39. I have not handled a G39, but in the G37 and G38 it is a very manageable and sweet shooting round. MAJOR issue is cost of ammo. Currently about the best price you will find is around $.40 rd. The G38 is great for carry, plenty of punch in a not too hefty package.

Enjoy.

AliYahu
February 22, 2012, 13:33
The .45 Automatic Colt Pistol has enough room in the case to triple charge some loads, so the GAP is an improvement. At least as powerful, and a smaller grip.

Eli

February 22, 2012, 14:56
u are saving about $225 , just use the savings to pay a little more for ammo, thats a great price

Timber Wolf
February 22, 2012, 15:40
I think Springfield markets an XDm in the caliber also but I have never seen one. The best use for .45 GAP I think would be in full moon clips for fast reloads in a S&W Model 25 or 625. We have a handy fellow here who with his wife are active USPSA, multi-gun, and Action Pistol shooters. She has a 627 or some such shaved for moon clips. He calculated how long .38 Special brass would need to be for the bullet to just seat on top of the powder charge for her competition loads. He then cut back a bunch of brass to just that length and loaded it. It was lot of work just to speed up reloads but works well. I would think the short, fat .45 GAP would work even better in this role. But I digress, while I generally dislike Glocks, and anything proporting to be "as good as .45 ACP" I do see the .45 GAP as a neat cartridge. It is going to be slow catching on (if ever) and expensive though. Somebody run through a bunch of it so I can have the brass to use in my S&W 25, please?:biggrin: But hey, how much ammo do you need for defensive gun and as cheap as the guns are, just buy the ammo. Pick up a beater 17 or police trade-in 22 for cheap ammo practice.

raexcct2
February 23, 2012, 04:24
It's not Glock specific even though Glock did make the round. Para Ordnance also made pistols in this caliber.

I have a NIB Para Ordnance LDA in .45 GAP that I'll be selling soon.

The .45 GAP is basically a shortened .45 ACP to fit 9mm sized pistol frames but yet has the same power of a .45 ACP. Great concept especially if you want a smaller .45 for concealed carry but the ammo is more expensive than .45 ACP.

partisan50
February 27, 2012, 11:21
MAJOR issue is cost of ammo. Currently about the best price you will find is around $.40 rd.

The second major issue is finding the ammo. The Gap has mostly died out so many places will not stock the ammo.

Ssarge
February 27, 2012, 19:27
Florida Highway Patrol turned in their battered Beretta 96Gs for the new full size GLOCK 37. Testing found the Speer rounds outperformed .45 acp through car glass and car doors than .45acp. (the other pistol under consideration was the Glock 21sf in .45acp. Fish and game went with the G21sf)
With several major state police agencies now shooting the GAP it will become more available.

metalreptile
March 01, 2012, 20:51
Well crap. Went to do some trading on the GAP today, and somebody beat me to it. He said they had kept that thing for months with no interest. It sold yesterday. Oh well, win some, lose some. :rofl:

Timber Wolf
March 02, 2012, 10:41
Well crap. Went to do some trading on the GAP today, and somebody beat me to it. He said they had kept that thing for months with no interest. It sold yesterday. Oh well, win some, lose some. :rofl:

Somebody saved you the coin, it was not meant to be. What I hate is walking around a gun show and coming back and something will be gone. Dang, should have bought it the first time through!

metalreptile
March 02, 2012, 11:22
Somebody saved you the coin, it was not meant to be. What I hate is walking around a gun show and coming back and something will be gone. Dang, should have bought it the first time through!

Yep. As an old guy at a local pawn shop used to tell me when I'd take some time to decide on a gun he'd have...."If it's meant to be yours, it'll be here when you come back". So many guns, so little time & funds! can't get 'em all! :rofl:

VALMET
March 04, 2012, 11:33
I think the GAP is a good cartridge and know that it is more effective than an ACP in tests but I don't buy handguns that I can't readily get ammo for (I know one can acquire the ammo, but if I can't buy it at Wal-Mart or in bulk at reasonable prices I won't buy a G-37, 38, or 39).