PDA

View Full Version : Slugs and round balls

J MOSBY
February 16, 2012, 21:00
Has anyone tried the 12G round balls or the plastic coated slugs ?

Interested in effective range compared to 00B and accuracy at, I dont know, 100 yds ? Or what ever. Or should I just get more 00B and be happy ?

Noodles McGee
February 17, 2012, 06:42
Slugs are always needed

Roundball has good knockdown power. Not a lot of range. Maybe a little more than buck.

I've had good distance accuracy with brenneke slugs. Trying federal truball.

Not. Sure about plastic coated slugs.

Deltaten
February 17, 2012, 14:17
J M;

Don't know anybody that makes or uses round, full bore sized ball. I use the Lyman "wasp-waist" slug mold to cast 1+ oz. sabot (AA wad) slugs. I get good hits on steel at 100 yd. plate , so I hafta be getting 4 MOA or so outta the smooth-bore 20" bbl.

richbug
February 17, 2012, 16:59
A .690 round ball dropped into a regular shot load will give reasonable accuracy out of the right gun. 6-8" at 50 yards

J MOSBY
February 17, 2012, 18:04
I was looking at the .650 round balls (1oz) and the plastic coated slugs on SGAmmo. Seems like a good price if they are any good. I did'nt want to be the first one to try them.

But my Enter finger is itching. Time for the bbt.

February 18, 2012, 15:44
i like the federal 12 gage rifled slugs, 2 3/4", 1 1/4 oz, magnum muz vel 1520 fps, i can accurately shoot out to 80 m or so out of my 18" saiga12 semi auto or winchester 1200 pump cylinder bore. kicks a bit, not for weiners

shlomo
February 18, 2012, 23:02
Has anyone tried the 12G round balls or the plastic coated slugs ?

Interested in effective range compared to 00B and accuracy at, I dont know, 100 yds ? Or what ever. Or should I just get more 00B and be happy ?

Lyman slug mold. Casts this:

http://www.lymanproducts.com/includes/img/lyman/bulletcasting/shotgun/2654112.jpg

Minute of softball at 100. From a smoothbore. Believe it.

Deltaten
February 18, 2012, 23:27
Can I get an "Amen"?
:D
Been casting/using those ugly lumps for years for just that reason! Not only accurate; but will deliver a sledge-hammer blow ta whatever they encounter. Even dinged the hell outta my Pepper Poppers with a caliber sized crevass (sp?) with naught left but a quarter sized pock-mark and a nickle sized piece of lead in the dirt below! ;)
Back in 98 or so when I discovered them, T&T reloading was hawking them for $9.99 a card of 20 or so. I figger'd a hunnert of my own would pay for the molds, so I sprung for 'em. Been shooting "free" for years! :biggrin"
We all know how that "free" shooting goes!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

shlomo
February 18, 2012, 23:43
Can I get an "Amen"?
:D
Been casting/using those ugly lumps for years for just that reason! Not only accurate; but will deliver a sledge-hammer blow ta whatever they encounter. Even dinged the hell outta my Pepper Poppers with a caliber sized crevass (sp?) with naught left but a quarter sized pock-mark and a nickle sized piece of lead in the dirt below! ;)
Back in 98 or so when I discovered them, T&T reloading was hThawking them for $9.99 a card of 20 or so. I figger'd a hunnert of my own would pay for the molds, so I sprung for 'em. Been shooting "free" for years! :biggrin"
We all know how that "free" shooting goes!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

You can get a big-assed "Amen" from me and about 9 other guys I've supplied these slugs to. Ain't been a big game animal yet that was hit by one that took another step. Pancakes 'em right there. Did I say accurate?
One guy claims he shot one off his back porch in Iowa at 200, and dropped it in its tracks with a "boiler-room" hit.

The Owl and one or two others didn't believe it until they tried it. Same thing. Three to four minute accuracy.

ByronF
February 22, 2012, 21:22
Well, that's all I need to read. I'm ordering one of those molds.

Hot Diggity
February 22, 2012, 23:12
You'll get some attention at the range if you push the big Lyman's fast enough. They make a wicked whistle/hiss going down range.

I've wondered if shotcup diameter, or even patched round ball wouldn't be more accurate than slugs beyond 200 yards from a rifled barrel. Since there's nothing to destabilize them (like Lee slugs tend to do at about 120 yards) if they get a good spin within the shotcup they should have greater useful range. I've only got a 200 meter range to test stuff on, so I may never get to test the theory.

HD

DYNOMIKE
February 23, 2012, 09:04
shlomo speaks the truth, those slugs are amazingly accurate and surely would hit like a sledgehammer..
Somewhere we have a pretty long thread with a bunch of data and chrono results from testing I did with shlomo's slugs. Some of the info is pretty impressive and I was quite pleased with the results..

shlomo did you ever get a chance to try any slugs dropped from that mold I sent you? Wonder what kinda projo that old mold might make?

BTW, I'm out (have been for sometime) of those LYMAN slugs and would surely like to get some more.. I would gladly pay for them as I have not the first tool, nor skill whatsoever when it comes to casting my own bullitz.. :tongue:

shlomo
February 23, 2012, 13:48
shlomo speaks the truth, those slugs are amazingly accurate and surely would hit like a sledgehammer..
Somewhere we have a pretty long thread with a bunch of data and chrono results from testing I did with shlomo's slugs. Some of the info is pretty impressive and I was quite pleased with the results..

shlomo did you ever get a chance to try any slugs dropped from that mold I sent you? Wonder what kinda projo that old mold might make?

BTW, I'm out (have been for sometime) of those LYMAN slugs and would surely like to get some more.. I would gladly pay for them as I have not the first tool, nor skill whatsoever when it comes to casting my own bullitz.. :tongue:

I got yer back, homie. I'll email ya tonite.

Have not had a chance to fire up the lead pot lately, but the slug in question is meant to be shot nekkid instead of in a AA wad cup, like the giant Beeman air pellet. I am sure I will drop some this spring, when working outside is an option. Not that it hasn't been like spring here this week.

DYNOMIKE
February 23, 2012, 19:02
I got yer back, homie. I'll email ya tonite.
Have not had a chance to fire up the lead pot lately, but the slug in question is meant to be shot nekkid instead of in a AA wad cup, like the giant Beeman air pellet. I am sure I will drop some this spring, when working outside is an option. Not that it hasn't been like spring here this week.

Sounds like a plan Mang..
LOL, yea from what I've been hearing WINTER has been quite mild pretty much everywhere..
My Folks in Ohio have not even had the d/way plowed when most years it would have been done 20 times by now??

Oh and here is that thread, seems like 4 pages of worthwhile reading material for those interested.. :beer::whiskey:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=280326&perpage=50&pagenumber=1

ByronF
February 23, 2012, 21:05
Quite some time ago I spotted for Delta when he was busting slugs into a target at one of the first (maybe THE first?) Mason Dixon shoot. Paul, that was the weekend when you dragged those old Gravelys out for me. How long ago was that? We were at a club range I think, not DM's place. Anyhoo, it was something to actually watch the slugs flying downrange and into the black. Where those your cast Lyman "pellets"?

Deltaten
February 23, 2012, 23:33
Yep, Byron. That was '99. The very first M/D gathering. 12" of 2X4 sticking outta the ground at 100 yd. for the stake/steak shoot. Quite sumpin' ta see the splinters fly ! :D P'ert well cleaned up the remains from the team shoot.
Often wondered if it could be..... machine or cast holes in the slug at a tangent ta give it an aerodynamic twist....and one hell of a lot more whistle! :D

J MOSBY
February 25, 2012, 10:36
Thanks for all that info, cast slugs seems like a lot of fun but right now I don't have anything to reload shot shells with.

I have ran into a hiccup with shell length. The shells I have are (supposedly) 2 3/4". Some of my shells are Win sup Dx mag 00B, 2 3/4 but are really 2 5/16 long. I like these and they work fine in everything.

I also have a good supply of 2 3/4 Sellier & Bellot which I like but they are 2 9/16" long and work fine in all guns but will not fit the ProMag 20 round drum.

I would like to have full power buck shot and slugs that will work in the ProMag. If somebody would measure some of their shells and report It would be appriciated.

longhair51
February 25, 2012, 13:52
What type(hardness) of lead do you use for the Lyman slug, or does it matter?

Deltaten
February 25, 2012, 17:46
LH51;
Other than terminal needs.... it doesn't matter; as the slug rides in the wad. Straight wheel weights, scrap lead, range bank siftings...macht's nichts. BNo sense wasting good, high velocity lead alloy on it ! ;

shlomo
February 25, 2012, 18:43
^^

Yep.