PDA

View Full Version : SAC Latta 2 piece gun import date- let's get serious

Abominog
February 15, 2012, 21:17
There has been so much banter about when these were imported and sold commercially, with no substantial conclusion.

The date is important to some of those behind enemy lines.

Anybody have old SGN ads to show when DSA offered the upper assemblies?

Do we know anyone at DSA who would be kind enough to research?

Anybody have purchase paperwork?

Does SAC still exist?

goodorbit
February 15, 2012, 22:39
Thanks for posting this up. You reading my mind again???:eek:
We need to find a definitive answer.
We need to be clear about the 89 & 94 dates as well, pre ban does not quite cut it.

goodorbit
February 15, 2012, 22:54
Ok from the board....

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248146&highlight=sac+latta

I bought my magwell stamped Latta SC Argentine upper in May of 1994 and took it home with me that day. My upper was serial # just north of #2000.

The US AWB was signed in Sept 1994.

I don't know what that means to you, but I suspect most/all of the Latta SC barrelled uppers were "released to the public" before the AWB was signed.

Does that help folks in ban states?
Edit - I suspect no, because my limited research says the CT AWB was effective Oct 1, 1993. Still not sure when DSA/SAC got them approved for sale, but that narrows it down to "for sure they were in by may 1994."

gunplumber
February 16, 2012, 09:47
Is it fair to assume they all came in at once, so a date of sale for one would apply to all?

Abominog
February 16, 2012, 11:48
Is it fair to assume they all came in at once, so a date of sale for one would apply to all?

I would think so, though the date is very important for some places, and right in that window. The question is, I think, when the first one was sold, hoping to be in 1993.

kev
February 16, 2012, 12:29
I've got the ads somewhere, but no time to dig for them. I'm sure the receivers and barrelled receivers were available in '93. The complete rifles were trapped in customs in late '89/'90 and probably didn't see the light of day for a year or so, but were eventually separated at the hinge pin and sold off as upper halves(DSA)and lower halves w/bolt and carrier(A&D Global). I bought my first of 4(as complete barrelled uppers)in mid '94 and I know they'd been available at least a year prior to this. I bought them one at a time as a dealer, direct from DSA. The first two were received on 6/7/94. 01091(prior page)and 01469(top of this page),...................

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/kaveman9/FMAP.jpg

The effective date of the 1994 AWB was 9/13/94.

Now the rest is conjecture,...............

I believe SAC Latta was an alter-ego created specifically for the distribution of these parts. Never heard of them before or since. If true, they were created after the '89 import ban, so there can be no pre-ban import SAC Latta marked rifles. But they were definitely available prior to and after the '94 ban.

US parts weren't commercially available to complete the rifles prior to the '94 ban, but there's no way to prove, or even suggest, that someone couldn't have built a compliant pre-ban('94 AWB)rifle.

Abominog
February 16, 2012, 13:46
So, on SAC Latta guns:

1. The are not pre-89 ban.
2. They were "lawfully possessed" prior to 9/14/1994, so are Pre-NY-Ban.
3. Whether they need 922r parts or not depends on the date of the ATF ruling concerning 922r and when they were assembled.

kev
February 16, 2012, 15:30
Except for your point three,...................where I would say depending on whether they were assembled by a licensed entity or not. ATF's authority over the individual American Citizen is zero w/r/t their rules and interpretations. That administrative crap only holds against 'persons' who have submitted to their regulations by applying for permission,............permits, licenses and such. You and I are not 'persons',................we are men and women. Words mean things. 'Person' is defined as a man or woman who is under a servitude. We're not that.

You want to know why nobody has ever been prosecuted under 922r? That's why. They couldn't make it stick and they'd never even try. What they will do is threaten with the hopes of compelling compliance through intimidation, but it's just a bluff. If you're a manufacturer, sure, you need to comply with the rules and regulations because that's what you swore you'd do when you applied for the license. If you haven't yet surrendered your life to an administrative agency through licensing and permits, you need to follow black letter law only,..............and you can tell them to shove their regulations, codes and interpretations.

gobbler
February 18, 2012, 09:08
Dean Lehrman may be able to shed some light on this....he answered quite a few of my questions early on when the Sarco kits 1st showed up. I had several Century SAC Argy/brit kits and was swapping out the brit kits for Argy. But have lost my old pms on SAC, DSA and when and where & who did what.

gobbler