PDA

View Full Version : Glock 27 at AIMSUPLUS

Hebrew Battle Rifle
February 05, 2012, 14:57
I am in the market for a small semi auto for my mother to carry. The brand new Smith and Wesson 642 that I bought for her draws blood from your thumb after just 2 rounds fired. Besides, 5 rds just isn't enough ammo. 9 rds fired and it is relegated to the shipping box that it came in. :(

Is the current deal offered by Aim Surplus a fair deal? $379.95 plus shipping for pistol with night sights and 2 9 rd mags. Shipping and transfer fee will add ~ $45.00 to the price.

Fair deal? I am not looking for the bare bones cheapest price. Aim has been a good vendor and has given me good service in the past. I am willing to pay a premium for that, but I don't want to get stupid with it either.

trh53
February 05, 2012, 15:47
It's a fair deal.The Glock 22 I got from AIM was in great shape but that can vary from batch to batch. Price seems reasonable for a 27 in real good condition.

W.E.G.
February 05, 2012, 16:12
What?!!!

You are thinking about getting your mom a .40 cal Glock as a carry piece?

Noooooooo!!!!!

Don't do that.

The .40 is a good choice for shooters who actually train with their guns.
The .40 has just enough recoil to be a problem for people who aren't "shooters."

Trade the alloy-frame nerve-jammer (I despised the one I had too) for a 9mm Glock 26 if it really has to be concealable and needs to have substantial capacity. Be sure to get the FACTORY +2 mag extensions. Not that the extra two rounds are that important, but it sure makes the gun easier to point. Aftermarket extensions have mixed followings.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/Glock/G26withammoandpennies.jpg

If its pretty unlikely that she will actually "carry" it, then get her a Glock 17, or even a Ruger P95. The Rugers have the world's easiest to operate slide (important if grip-strength is an issue).

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/Ruger%20P95/P95-photobucket.jpg

The rugger is rugged and affordable, even it won't win any bullseye or beauty contests.

If she's going to actually "carry" the thing, I hope you plan on also getting her a proper holster.

Hebrew Battle Rifle
February 05, 2012, 16:50
What?!!!

You are thinking about getting your mom a .40 cal Glock as a carry piece?

Noooooooo!!!!!

Don't do that.

The .40 is a good choice for shooters who actually train with their guns.
The .40 has just enough recoil to be a problem for people who aren't "shooters."

Trade the alloy-frame nerve-jammer (I despised the one I had too) for a 9mm Glock 26 if it really has to be concealable and needs to have substantial capacity. Be sure to get the FACTORY +2 mag extensions. Not that the extra two rounds are that important, but it sure makes the gun easier to point. Aftermarket extensions have mixed followings.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/Glock/G26withammoandpennies.jpg

If its pretty unlikely that she will actually "carry" it, then get her a Glock 17, or even a Ruger P95. The Rugers have the world's easiest to operate slide (important if grip-strength is an issue).

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/Ruger%20P95/P95-photobucket.jpg

The rugger is rugged and affordable, even it won't win any bullseye or beauty contests.

If she's going to actually "carry" the thing, I hope you plan on also getting her a proper holster.

She has no difficulty handling 38 special in snub nose revolvers. It is just this particular frame design is not compatible with her hand shape. Even adding Hogue oversize grips did not solve the problem.
She never leaves home without her shooter. She has tried various types of carry methods, but as yet hasn't found anything that really "works." If I get the Glock, we will work on that problem then.
Grip strength may indeed be a problem. While she can safely and comfortably shoot my COLT Gubmit model, she cannot manipulate the slide on it without taking extreme measures. Measures that would make carrying a 1911 unsafe for her. She had no trouble with my nephew's LC9 though. But, as with the Smith, it was uncomfortable for her to shoot. I didn't care for it either.
I have fired a Glock 23 and liked it. It did have a sharper recoil than my 1911s. I would imagine that a G27 will be as sharp if not more so.

Thank you for your guidance. It is very much appreciated.

W.E.G.
February 05, 2012, 17:18
If you ever want to remove a Glock floorplate to install extensions or just simply to clean Glock mags, PLEASE get the GTUL.

Magazine disassembly is the one curse of the Glock. Unless you have a lot more hand-strength than I do, its almost impossible to disassemble a Glock mag without a compression-tool if the mag has never been before disassembled.

It gets easier (but not a lot easier) after the mag has been disassembled a few times.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ALF6hjC2vJU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

More on Glock mag disassembly:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rJq_gYUPqQU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hagar
February 05, 2012, 17:49
Just get your mother a Kahr CW-9 and don't look back. Availlable for around $350 at Palmetto State Arms or Bud's gunshop. It is the carry gun Golock should have made..:shades:

February 09, 2012, 23:24
i would not get mom a semi unless she is willing to practice with it. my mom has a steel s&w revolver, 5 shot, 3" barrel, which is heavy enough to take some recoil. load it with wadcutters, good to go. my g27 trigger guard smacks the right side of my trigger finger pretty hard with the 9 round mags, shootin a lot of rounds very uncomfortable.

emcroy
February 10, 2012, 00:34
I must agree, the .40 and 357sig in the small frame Glock are the sharpest of the bunch.

My hand always has a bit of tingling after putting a hundred rounds or so through either!

Hebrew Battle Rifle
February 18, 2012, 22:17
I got the pistol yesterday. I haven't fired it yet. The "night sights" are that in name only. I am really disappointed in AIMSURPLUS. They did not mention that these sights were expired. They simply listed fixed night sights as a selling feature. This is outright fraud.:redface:

February 20, 2012, 17:11
night sites are nice to have but not necessary, how reliable is the '27? i would replace the recoil spring unit before firing it, the spring unit seizes up if its wore out and locks up the pistola. happy shootin, get a good holster too

fal fiend
February 20, 2012, 17:22
A model 27 would probally jump out her hands, i've shot 1, its nothing like my model 22 in recoil, muzzle flip.

Andy the Aussie
February 20, 2012, 17:38
Mrs Andy qualified on and has no issue with a Glock 22 or 23 but the27 just didn't work for her, no matter how much we played around with grip/hold etc.

Nobody
February 20, 2012, 20:32
I've owned around 4 or 5 glocks. Enough that I've forgotten. Only got two left. Never owned a 27 though. Just a 23. My buddy had a 27 however. I shot it when we went shooting. He shot my 23. The recoil was unpleasant enough that I had to readjust my grip after each shot. Not an issue with my 23. Maybe there was just not enough of a hand-grip for me to hold. I dunno. Follow up shots were a good bit slower than my 23. Yes, I did practice with my 23 , but I would not have with the 27. It was too much to hold onto.
good luck with that.

crcksht
February 21, 2012, 11:20
I would say do not get the model 27 for your mom's carry pistol, but instead perhaps a model 23 (if you want her to have a .40), or a 9mm model 19 or 26. The model 27 has a high degree of muzzle flip which I don't like even as a very experienced shooter. A model 17 or 22 would be fine if she doesn't mind the size.

Hebrew Battle Rifle
March 09, 2012, 21:08
Update:

The G27 was fired by me and my mother the other day. It was an unpleasant experience for her. But, we discovered, it wasn't the pistol. It is her hand. We discovered this when she tried to shoot other hand guns that she has enjoyed shooting previously. They too were unpleasant to shoot. So, we have a different problem to solve:|

The good news is that I thoroughly enjoyed shooting this little pistol. I found it to be easy to control and easy to hit with. I went through 40 rds before I realized it. The only negative about it was the short grip. It did not cause any problem while shooting. The problem arose during the draw from the holster. The short grip allowed my fingers to grab my undershirt with the pistol and screwed up the presentation. I think that if I had some of those extended mags that the problem would disappear. I was able to modify my grasp during the draw and alleviate the problem, but it screws up the muscle memory when I draw my regular carry pistol. That just will not do.
I haven't decided if I will keep this pistol or not. I will wait for a while before I decide. Maybe we can solve mom's problem and make shooting this little honey pleasant for her. In the mean time, I am going to pick up a box of ammo on paydays and have a little fun!

newuser
March 09, 2012, 22:15
You can get the tritium sights "relamped." It costs almost as much as new sights. i got suckered into buying several sets of tritium. An interesting gimmick that you get tired of and see the uselessness of after a short while. If it's dark enough for the tritium to be noticeable its too dark to see what you shooting at and you shouldnt be shooting. Put a light or a laser on your gun instead.

Older 27s had an issue with the plastic recoil guide disintegrating and jamming the gun. Wolff sells a metal recoil guide with captive recoil spring for about $35 that solves that problem.

The 27 is a great little gun. Get a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel and a Glock 33 barrel and you have three guns in one. Sharp recoil is subjective and you get used to it. The Glock slide is not easy to rack so that will be an issue.

Oh and don't forget this important accessory: Homeboy Glock nyte sights http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-gag.html

The above would be funnier if I knew how to post a jpg. here

Skilter
March 09, 2012, 23:15
I have had the same experiences as WEG on this one...