PDA

View Full Version : Any interest in a solid sidefolder for the DR200?

dawg180
February 02, 2012, 18:27
Been looking at a few side projects from the main stuff we make at Manticore Arms, and the Daewoo is one I always have had a soft spot for.

I have been thinking of doing a solid polymer sidefolder for the DR200, and there are two routes I am looking at:

1. We mold our own stock that looks about the same as the original and machine an adapter knuckle.

2. We machine an adapter hinge knuckle that allows the use of the FAL polymer stock.

With the FAL stock the LOP is going to be pretty close to the original 14" LOP on the Daewoo K2, but if the copy of the original stock is the way I decide to go I think I would want to make it a more reasonable 12" LOP similar to an M16A1 stock length when deployed.

Right now I just wanted to brainstorm and check interest. Let me know if you have any additional thoughts- always open to suggestions! :)

Sven

cz75fan
February 04, 2012, 01:27
This doesn't help with your decision, but I'd be tickled pink with either option. It might be a little less expensive to get the FAL version in production since you wouldn't have to mold your own stocks.

jerry704
February 04, 2012, 20:56
i was thinking about fitting my fal plastic stock to fit my daewoo folding unit from drp. i figured i would either put a steel insert into the stock and use a threaded rod to secure it and drill the holes for the stock adapter.
so either way you decide to go i think it will look awesome...

308/223shooter
February 05, 2012, 21:55
I think if you did an adaptor to fit a metric FAL stock to the WOO, you will sell many more. I'd bet every member on this board with a WOO, also has at least one spare plastic FAL stock about, that they'd be willing to adapt. I sure do, and would be a buyer to be sure! Just make sure the stock, when folded, doesn't interfere with bolt manipulation.

Dime is Money
February 06, 2012, 21:15
Why can't you make the second adapter block fit a modified mold of the original stock and an FAL stock? Is that because of fabrication cost on the modified mold?

embatp
February 06, 2012, 23:40
how about make it take a FAL wood stock?

Bubacus
February 07, 2012, 12:57
I'd love to see a repro of the original stock....would using an ACE style block be an option? I don't know how that look, but it might save you a few dolars with making an adapter and let some of us with the ACE adapters keep using them.

dawg180
February 25, 2012, 11:36
Sorry guys, for some reason I stopped getting notifications to posts in this thread!

I got something in mind that I think might make everyone happy. I don't think this will be a huge seller, but I would be willing to run a small batch and will post some concept work prior to anything going into production. it will be a right side folder and will allow the gun to function and fire when folded (no charging handle collisions!)

The only real issue with an FAL stock is the LOP is going to be pretty long. I know most guys don't mind, but I like the ACE shorty length stock, so if I am going to spend the $$$ to make these it has to fit me too, LOL! ;)

Honestly there is so much going on right now it may be a few months before I can tackle this, but I have two Daewoo DR200's that are sitting waiting for this and nagging me every day!

Sven

dawg180
February 25, 2012, 11:39
Why can't you make the second adapter block fit a modified mold of the original stock and an FAL stock? Is that because of fabrication cost on the modified mold?

Molds are expensive, that is why the FAL stock is an idea- they are available and very affordable. But adapting an existing part to a new design especially when trying to interface two different existing parts not meant for each other (i.e. Daewoo rifle and FAL stock) is always harder than just starting from scratch.

Actually the idea of making it work with the FAL stock and stock bolt, and then making our own stock that works with an FAL bolt is a really good one! I will investigate that more...

StormWerkz
February 25, 2012, 20:10
Something like this but with FAL stocks
Sorry about the nasty rug !
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/josh54880/Daewoo%20Stock%20Adapter/K2-DR200%20Stock%20Adapter/IMG_0404.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/josh54880/Daewoo%20Stock%20Adapter/K2-DR200%20Stock%20Adapter/IMG_0411.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/josh54880/Daewoo%20Stock%20Adapter/K2-DR200%20Stock%20Adapter/IMG_0406.jpg

dawg180
February 26, 2012, 22:23
Yes, something similar to that. ;)

I am looking to see if we can mold a "stubby FAL stock" to allow for a shorter LOP in this setup for guys like me who don't have gorilla arms. I find a 12-13" LOP to be ideal, while the Daewoo factory stock was like a 14.5" LOP, ans the FAL stock mounting would be too.

StormWerkz
February 26, 2012, 23:35
Yes, something similar to that. ;)

I am looking to see if we can mold a "stubby FAL stock" to allow for a shorter LOP in this setup for guys like me who don't have gorilla arms. I find a 12-13" LOP to be ideal, while the Daewoo factory stock was like a 14.5" LOP, ans the FAL stock mounting would be too.
Cool, I prefer a short stock.

rochte
February 27, 2012, 02:24
Yep, short is good! I have the ACE shorty myself and it's the perfect length. Please keep us informed about this project and count me in for one (as long as there is a "short" option, that is).

susi
March 24, 2012, 19:02
I'd take at least one maybe two. I have 4 Dr200s and had considered adapting an FAL stock earlier. Never actually worked up the motivation to do it though. They are all set up with the ACE folders.

308/223shooter
March 27, 2012, 23:21
My Woo has the StormWerkz folder, and plastic Inch handguards. A side folding FAL stock would be the Queens Tits for a cool looking Woo!

kd
March 30, 2012, 00:09
I vote for option #1

1. We mold our own stock that looks about the same as the original and machine an adapter knuckle.

I feel that FAL stocks belong on a FAL.
I guess if I wanted to save a few bucks I wouldn't have a Woo

StormWerkz
March 30, 2012, 07:35
Probably have to mold your own since almost all FAL stocks aside from Penguin are imported and wouldn't work for 922 parts

dawg180
March 31, 2012, 15:31
Probably have to mold your own since almost all FAL stocks aside from Penguin are imported and wouldn't work for 922 parts

Josh you make a good point i had not considered.

Also, I spent a little while playing around with the dimensions and it really looks like just doing a new stock body is the best way to go. I have some thoughts on how to accomodate what everyone wants.

Just need to decide if an "iintegral" or "Ace hinge adapter" style setup is the best way to go.

5card
April 14, 2012, 14:26
It reminds me of my AR180. I love it! Put me down for one if the price is right

StormWerkz
April 14, 2012, 14:34
I hope you make the stocks shorter than FAL factory stocks, they are just too long even on the FAL's

dawg180
April 14, 2012, 16:00
This is on the "long list" but I am seeing if I can bump it up a bit.

I have been playing with some configurations of stock and found a length I think is good. I am thinking a base shorter stock and possibly some spacers to allow people to build the stock to their preferred length.