PDA

View Full Version : G21/20 barrel changing

Wyo_gunner
January 22, 2012, 23:54
I'm looking at getting a G20. I know the G20 has the same frame as the G-21. I was wondering about barrel dimensions and if I could just swap out barrels to shoot .45acp and then be able to switch back to 10mm.

Thanks!

GOVTMOD
January 23, 2012, 10:03
I'm looking at getting a G20. I know the G20 has the same frame as the G-21. I was wondering about barrel dimensions and if I could just swap out barrels to shoot .45acp and then be able to switch back to 10mm.

Thanks!

NO. The breach face, extractor and ejector are different. If you want to get a complete top end and swap out the ejector or trigger mech housing each time you change calibers have at it. This, however, is less than convenient and would run you nearly the cost of a complete gun so no one usually bothers.

emcroy
January 23, 2012, 23:28
You could however mod it to shoot .40 S&W! The cartriges are exactly the same dimensionaly except for the length. Matter of fact you could probably shoot the forty in the 10 barrel as the case pretty much headspaces on the extractor anyway, but if it were to slip in front of the extractor upon chambering you will have failure to fire.

There are conversion barrels available from Lone Wolf, KKM, etc.

I load my 40s to 1.200 for my STI limited gun, if you reload you will be able to load them longer as well as the 10mm mag will accomodate this. Loading the bullet out a bit further lowers case pressure a bit but you may have to run a throating reamer in a stock 40 chamber as sometimes the bullet will contact the rifling when loaded long, of course this would be a non-issue with the 10 barrel!

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=951&CAT=241