PDA

View Full Version : genuine Belgium FN

Zos
January 18, 2012, 09:13
I live in the United States in a place with very little regulation and we are notorious for Class3 dealers here. What are the odds of me getting a genuine Belgian FN-FAL?

I'd like it to take a 7.62xdoens'tmatter cartridge. My plan is to have the folks at a regular gun shop order a kit and then take care of whatever gunsmithing needs to be done to make the receiver compliant. Can the Belgian FAL be modified in this way? Are there any other problems in this plan? Thanks.

ghf
January 18, 2012, 09:25
"once a machine gun, always a machine gun" comes to mind.

I guess that a nice belgian FAL kit, if one could be found, on a DSA or Imbel semi receiver w appropriate # of US parts would be good to go.

BC
January 18, 2012, 09:52
You have the greatest chance to be able to own a machine gun, if the money is no issue. The genuine Belgian FN-FAL is a machine gun.

match14
January 18, 2012, 11:16
There are also Semi Auto Belgian imported FAL/LARs if you aren't looking for an automatic.

Jailguard
January 18, 2012, 11:17
What are you asking here?

I'd like it to take a 7.62xdoens'tmatter cartridge. My plan is to have the folks at a regular gun shop order a kit and then take care of whatever gunsmithing needs to be done to make the receiver compliant. Can the Belgian FAL be modified in this way? Are there any other problems in this plan? Thanks

If you want a full auto FAL you will need to buy one or a receiver that is already regestered. To buld a semi auto FAL any one of the US made receivers will work DSA being one of the better ones to put a FN kit on. Also as a side note the regestared part on a FAL is the upper receiver not the lower. If you are worried about the slector going to the full auto position you can get a SEMI auto slector to replace it with.

AndyC
January 18, 2012, 14:52
What are you asking here?
I'd like to know as well - it's pretty unclear, so moving this to the Class 3 section in case.

BigEd63
January 23, 2012, 16:53
To the original Poster- Go to a local Class III dealer and ask what for sure you need to do to buy one.

He should also be up on the current going rates for a selctive fire FAL.

However you also ask quetsions concerning a "kit build"; I think.

Genuine Belgian parts and receivers are hard to find SA or transferable FA ones.

I think you would be better served searching for an already assembled rifle of either Semi-Auto or transferable FA types.

Parts chasing a decent set of real Belgian FAL parts(In good condition) and a proper/legal receiver made by FN to install them on may prove more costly and time consuming that just buying the real deal already put together would be.

fnogger
January 23, 2012, 22:46
A quick google found 3 supposedly for sale... 50.00, a para, and a heavy barrel. Not sure if all 3 were belgian - I just checked for "FAL "

So I would assume that you can contact one of those many SOTs, and can pass the background check, and don't mind the wait, that as long as you have the $$$ the chances of you having one are excellent.

:)

BTW - may want to check in to see if you can still get in on the 22 conversion group buy...

BDMERC1
January 23, 2012, 23:16
I live in the United States in a place with very little regulation and we are notorious for Class3 dealers here. What are the odds of me getting a genuine Belgian FN-FAL?

I'd like it to take a 7.62xdoens'tmatter cartridge. My plan is to have the folks at a regular gun shop order a kit and then take care of whatever gunsmithing needs to be done to make the receiver compliant. Can the Belgian FAL be modified in this way? Are there any other problems in this plan? Thanks.

Forget putting together an all FN FAL from parts. You could spend a lifetime and/or a fortune trying to do so.

FN FAL's are available. "G" series guns are tougher to find and of course are more expensive. Model 50.00 seem to be most available and affordable while the Model 50.63 - apparently more desirable based on availability and price.

If you want select fire you can get a registered receiver for the price of a decent used car. If money is no objective you can get a pre-1968 transferable for the price of a nicer used car!!!!!

pmf
January 27, 2012, 16:31
Parts chasing a decent set of real Belgian FAL parts(In good condition) and a proper/legal receiver made by FN to install them on may prove more costly and time consuming that just buying the real deal already put together would be.

To be legally transferred to a non-licensed private citizen, you'd need to find a FAL receiver that was imported into the U.S. prior to 1969 since that was the year that importing machine guns for the domestic market ended. I'm guessing that there's not a lot of those floating around. There probably are built guns floating around, and they probably were imported prior to 1969 and probably are constructed of FN parts. These guns would be very expensive because they are very rare and collectable. The cheaper route would be to find an imported semi that was converted to a machine gun. It was legal to do this until April (I think) of 1986. These guns are not the "real deal" in the sense that they were issued to the military, but they're basically the same thing. I think you're looking at $10,000 - $12,000 in that case.

Machine guns are a whole different ball park than slapping some parts kits together. The supply is fixed and the prices generally are rising over time. There's no cheap way to legally own them, except to be willing to spend a lot of cash.

Zos
January 30, 2012, 15:17

Thanks for the reply. Pardon my confusion. I thought that a fully assembled firearm was not an option for this type of weapon. I thought the shipping of parts or "kits" was a technique used to circumvent GCA68. By "genuine Belgian" I meant that FN is the manufacturer, chambers 7.62, and the rest of the body are in metric. (Maybe there are several Belgian manufacturers? I've never heard of them.)

What are my options for in semi-auto 50.xx's, if I don't intend to apply for class III? Thanks.

def90
January 30, 2012, 16:20
What are my options for in semi-auto 50.xx's, if I don't intend to apply for class III? Thanks.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=271239582

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=271134751

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=271011814

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=270105655

BDMERC1
February 04, 2012, 12:07
Thanks for the reply. Pardon my confusion. I thought that a fully assembled firearm was not an option for this type of weapon. I thought the shipping of parts or "kits" was a technique used to circumvent GCA68. By "genuine Belgian" I meant that FN is the manufacturer, chambers 7.62, and the rest of the body are in metric. (Maybe there are several Belgian manufacturers? I've never heard of them.)

You don't need to apply for a class 3. All you need to do is ask a S.O.T. to find you a registered receiver gun, or if you have the money to invest, a pre-68 transferable. If you are in GA I can find it and transfer it to you on a Form 4 (one time, $200 transfer fee). If not, I transfer it to an S.O.T. in your state and he transfers it to you on a Form 4.

As for semi-auto Belgian guns they are out there; you just have to look for them. I've got all in stock except for the 50.64 and the H.B. models. I don't mess with any of the current "post ban" guns. Some are really good and some are not. Others on this Board have a much better knowledge base on what is worth the money with current mfg. FAL's/L1A1's. Anyone selling a "current mfg" Belgian FAL is selling a parts gun. FN Herstal (one and only Belgian mfg.) stopped production decades ago.

As for "fun factor", I favor a full auto FAL over all other 7.62 F.A. assault rifles of that generation, with exception to the SIG AMT (never shot one; real tough find in F.A.)

Zos
February 11, 2012, 23:18
Looks good. Are these weapons mere collectibles or are can they actually fire rounds decently?

def90
February 12, 2012, 02:07
Looks good. Are these weapons mere collectibles or are can they actually fire rounds decently?

???????????? :confused:

Andy the Aussie
February 12, 2012, 02:48
Looks good. Are these weapons mere collectibles or are can they actually fire rounds decently? ....seriously... ?????? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

prosecond
February 12, 2012, 09:08
Are you over 12 years old????????