PDA

View Full Version : 1187 junk

spider991
January 14, 2012, 14:54
Well I went and did it. Dropped a wad of cash for a brand spanking new Remington 1187 Super mag. 12g. Took her out this morning and the stupid thing will just not cycle 2 3/4 shells. I know, included is a new gas ring to use for 2 3/4 "light" loads to help functioning. Well it sucks. Screw the light loads it won't reliably cycle OO buck,OO buck magnum,slugs and let alone 7.5-8 shot! I contacted Remington to see if they will help,the customer service is supposed to be good....we will see.:sad:

garyd1961
January 14, 2012, 23:47
Remington has excellent customer service but their gunsmiths aren't so great, not in my case anyway. I bought an 870 Express a few years ago and the action would lock up after firing. I would have to tear it down to get the shell out. The place I got it from sent it to a remington authorized gunsmith and he polished the chamber and sent it back. It locked up again and I sent it back to Remington with the empty shell stuck in the gun. I sent a letter and asked them not to polish the chamber again as that wasn't the problem. They sent it back with a note saying they polished the chamber again. I still locked up first time I shot it. I called remington and they sent me a new barrel free of charge even though I told them I didn't think that was the problem. It still locked up so I paid a local gunsmith to fix it ,it still locked up. Finally I took it apart and looked inside the receiver with a light and could see a big ol' burr in the rails(slots where the bolt rides) and some bad machine marks. I polished the rails and all the parts that slid against each other and now it works as smooth as silk.

spider991
January 15, 2012, 11:39
That does not fill me with confidence,lol. I'm taking it back to the shop in the morning, and back to Remington. Hopefully they do something.

garyd1961
January 17, 2012, 18:54
Their service dept. was very friendly and tried to help. They sent me a new barrel and let me keep the old one. I guess I just had one of those hard to diagnose problems. I'm sure they would have taken my gun back and fixed the problem if I had asked.

WWHD116
January 28, 2012, 05:18
My 1187 XCS Supermag is a POS also. It is currently jammed up with a load of #8 shot that got wedged between the bolt and the receiver. I shot about 30 rounds of magnum 3" sabots and full power 2 3/4" slugs through my hastings rifled choke tube with no problems. When I started shooting some clays was when I had the problem with the low brass loads (with the barrel seal activator installed)

Remington customer service also sucks, they would not let me ship it with a stuck round in the chamber ( safety concerns ) so I must remove it by dropping the whole bottom assembly myself, before it can be sent in for warranty work. Not only that but the 1187 Supermag $75 mail in rebate which I applied for was denied because it did not apply to the XCS model ( which was not in any fine print on the rebate form)

From what I understand these 1187 Supermags are not made by remington, they are made by a russian manufacturer ( baikal I think ? ) and Remington either assembles them or rebrands them as their own.

Anyway I wanted a nice autoloader with a 3.5" chamber but did not want to spend the $$ on a Winchester SX3. So I got the 1187. Big mistake, because the 1187 Supermag is a Piece of Shit.

It's true, you get what you pay for. Lesson learned

mx557
February 04, 2012, 00:08
i have heard a lot of stories about 1187's having problems with light loads but not some of the more powerful stuff you were putting through it.

C-ya
February 13, 2012, 13:31
From what I understand these 1187 Supermags are not made by remington, they are made by a russian manufacturer ( baikal I think ? ) and Remington either assembles them or rebrands them as their own.

That's why I bought the Spartan SPR 453. Paid about $350 for it from Gander Mountain back in '06 or '07. It has a few differences from the original 1187 S-M, but it works for me. It is my bird gun - goose, duck, turkey, and pheasant. No issues with any round I have tried to shoot through it. It has a tunable gas system that requires/entails turning a screw (nut?). Easy to use. I have it set so that it shoots the lights loads and only thumps me slightly harder when using the full-power stuff compared to how it could if I set it for those rounds.

My f-i-l got a new, real deal Holyfield Remington 11-87 Super Mag for Christmas the year after I got my SPR. His has been great. He only uses it for pheasant, but in testing, breaking in, patterning and hunting, it has never failed to operate correctly.

Maybe they switched the 11-87's out after a few years to be made in Russia.

SteelonSteel
February 26, 2012, 09:16
My 1187 XCS Supermag is a POS also. It is currently jammed up with a load of #8 shot that got wedged between the bolt and the receiver. I shot about 30 rounds of magnum 3" sabots and full power 2 3/4" slugs through my hastings rifled choke tube with no problems. When I started shooting some clays was when I had the problem with the low brass loads (with the barrel seal activator installed)

Remington customer service also sucks, they would not let me ship it with a stuck round in the chamber ( safety concerns ) so I must remove it by dropping the whole bottom assembly myself, before it can be sent in for warranty work. Not only that but the 1187 Supermag $75 mail in rebate which I applied for was denied because it did not apply to the XCS model ( which was not in any fine print on the rebate form)

Anyway I wanted a nice autoloader with a 3.5" chamber but did not want to spend the $$ on a Winchester SX3. So I got the 1187. Big mistake, because the 1187 Supermag is a Piece of Shit.

It's true, you get what you pay for. Lesson learned

I suppose they can't rightly tell you to break federal law for shipping a loaded firearm even if you prove it won't/can't fire.

Glad my 1187 is about 15 years old before the quality really took a nose dive. Even then they had problems.

kayakpirate
February 26, 2012, 10:05
Geeez...I picked up a trade in Police 1187 from SOG back in '97 or so.Came with the rifle sighted 21" barrel and a 7 shot mag tube.
Cost me 400 bucks.Switched out the heavily abused wood furniture it came with (that had a "CHP" on the stock), with a speed feed stock and forearm.
I've run everything through it .Slugs,buck and shot...thing works.The only thing I do besides cleaning,is replace the rubber "O" ring every now and then.
When I got into sporting clays I picked up a 28" twin bead vent ribbed barrel off Ebay( with screw in chokes!) and took it to Quail Creek.
I'm not the best at the clays but I manage about 70-75 % with that assembly. Outside of how rough the wood furniture was,the rest of the SG was in great shape.
Sorry to hear about all these issues.Why cant they just leave stuff alone? Got a buddy thats been hounding me about selling it...now I know why.

slade797
February 26, 2012, 12:51
Maybe I shouldn't chime in here about the sweet deal I got on an 1100 last year....

:]

spider991
February 27, 2012, 21:33
I actually got it back from the Remington repair...took it to the range and ran bout hundred rounds, oo buck,2 shot mag, let me tell ya, it ran like a sewing machine. They also gave me a 22in turkey barrel with rifle sights for a steal cause of the problems..pretty dang happy,it took a while but I really like it now.