View Full Version : Bought this at the gunshow last week.

December 25, 2011, 15:01
No it's not really a Browning but a Savage 720, 16 ga, 28" full choke. Savage was licensed by Browning to make them. I gave $200(out the door) for it, did I do ok?

It reminds me of an Imbel kit, lots of finish wear but looks almost like new inside. Everything is tight and there are no cracks in the wood. I thought about refinishing it but decided to leave it as is. I'm thinking of replacing the recoil spring , main spring, and friction rings. It shoots ok but will cycle low powered game loads with the rings set for heavy loads. I beleive I was the first to remove the buttstock as it was really stuck on and there was no marks on any of the screws.

December 25, 2011, 18:04
The old girl looks great. No cracks in the wood, and the finish looks nice, I would have been all over it for $200.

December 25, 2011, 18:05

Got one in 12 gauge, wish I could find another!!

Merry Christmas!!

December 25, 2011, 19:03
I was hopping to find an old stevens/savage sxs double barrel 16 ga like I use to hunt with but I like this one better. I like it so much I'm hoping to get a 12 ga to go with it.
I always wanted a Browning A5 but the prices are just a little high for me. I never heard of a Savage 720 until I saw this one at the gunshow. I have a couple of brand new shotguns but this old Savage has quickly become my favorite.

December 26, 2011, 15:52
You did A-OK - a new recoil spring sure wouldn't be out of line.

Your Great Grandkids will be shooting it !

December 26, 2011, 17:40
bulletslap, I believe you are right, this gun was made in the late 30s or early 40s as best as I can tell and it isn't showing any signs of giving up yet. I know it was made before WW2 since they start somewhere around 69xxx and this one is 50xxx. I don't think the recoil springs and friction rings will cause any problems but I figure I might as welll change them while I can still get them.
EDIT- I just ordered a recoil spring and friction ring from Numrich, I don't know if they are needed but after around 70 years I figure they can't hurt.

January 11, 2012, 04:02

I don't have the Savage version, but I have some of the Rem11 and Browning A5 versions.

I wish I had those when I was a kid and did all that hunting with pump guns.

1) In 1998 I got an A5 12 ga that had been re blued for $150 at a pawn shop.
Wow, was I impressed with that shotgun.

2) 3) In 1998 I got a 12 ga and 20 ga Rem 11 [A5 clones] for $62 each, and the 20 ga looked unfired. They were being carried toward a gun show.

4) In 2007 off a gun show table I got a 3" mag 12 ga A5 with screw in chokes with the muzzle swaged by Stan Baker for $400.

5) In 2007 I got an old A5 with factory original cylinder choke bore 23" barrel for $200. It was carried into a gun show. The guy kept telling me that the barrel was worth more than that.

The first two shotguns are never miss guns, but the last three I can't hit anything. With steel shot and full chokes, the pattern is so tight, it is like shooting a bird out of the sky with a rifle... they have to be sighted in.

January 11, 2012, 12:13
The Savage's and the Remington's are not A5 clones - they are Browning patent shotguns, just like the FN made A5 that FN simply called a Browning. Remington and Savage just sold them as Remington and Savages as made with the Browning patent.
I have one that is marked Springfield and is set up in the riot gun configuration and also (sort of - it is on consignment at a local shop) Savage made with the lightweight receiver. Very nice well made guns.

January 11, 2012, 18:39
I have a Savage 720 12 ga on the way, $205. It would already be here but the seller sent the wrong fax# and I didn't find out until a week later.
Oh yeah nice guns Clark.

January 12, 2012, 19:38
Sounds like you did quite well on that deal.. Nice lookin gun! I recently saw one in a local shop for $385! and it isnt near as nice. First I knew that Savage made the A-5. If the price had been better I woulda got it.

January 14, 2012, 09:10
I got my Savage 720 12 ga yesterday. I may have a problem. The magazine tube has a little wobble to it,not much but it's not tight like my 16 ga. Is this a problem?
EDIT-Problem solved, I took out set screw and tightened the mag tube. I will post a picture after I get it put back together.

January 19, 2012, 20:13
I finally got around to test firing my Savage 720 12 ga tonight. I unloaded a mag full into the creek down the road from my house. It shot just fine. Since I got it I've tightened the mag tube and hammer spring screw, I glued up a couple cracks on the inside of the stocks that you cain't see from the outside and just cleaned everything else. Someone in the distant past wrung the set screw in the trigger guard off and I need to get it out so I can replace it with a new one but I'm not sure how. Also the little plunger that clicks when you tighten the mag cap is missing ,I have already ordered a new one.
Here's a picture. Oh yeah, it's a 30 inch full choke barrel.
EDIT-The flash from the camera makes the metal look really shiny but it actually has a pretty good finish for it's age.

January 19, 2012, 20:22
How's this?

April 02, 2012, 19:32

I found this a month ago for $75 at a gun show.
I already have too many of them, so I told my brother.
He got it for $50.
He repaired the fore stock by taking off the previous repair metal, cleaning the crack, and putting in runny epoxy and then clamping.

He shot it and it was accurate. He is a very good shot with a shotgun and he was elated about the accuracy.

Then he took it apart to look in side and found salt water corrosion.
It is soaking in Diesel oil for another couple weeks, and then we will scrub it off.

My brother and I do not need any more guns, we just enjoy getting deals out of a gun show where almost everything is over priced.

Looks like he needs a new recoil pad, too.

April 02, 2012, 19:47
Man that looks nasty. I would love to see pictures after he cleans it up. I'm sure it will be a lot better after cleaning. I had an uncle who lost a 9 shot 22 revolver and found it a year later under his hunting truck seat. He had gotten stuck the year before and the gun was caked with dried mud. I soaked it a week in kerosene and transmission fluid before I could disassemble it. After I cleaned it it worked fine.

April 02, 2012, 20:50
I love it when I can return someone's POS to workable condition! Nice shotties, wish I had bought one back in the day before investing so much in pump cop-guns....

April 03, 2012, 19:00
These are great guns that you can still find pretty cheap. With a little TLC they make very solid and dependable guns.

April 04, 2012, 11:35
I just bought a remington model 11 in 12 ga. Do any of you guys know if the following parts from a Browning Auto-5 will fit? Some of the parts I need I can only find for the browning. Especially the steel friction ring.

Action Spring
Action plug
Magazine spring
Friction ring

April 04, 2012, 14:34
I hate you :bow:

April 04, 2012, 18:39
I'm not sure what parts will fit but try Numrich they have a lot of parts for these guns.

April 04, 2012, 20:06
well, it's no Daiwa but it still looks pretty good.........

My 12 ga is an auto 5, 28" Mod
my 20 ga is a Rem. Mod 11 Sportsman 3 shot