PDA

View Full Version : Dummy magazines for .22 rifles?

Timber Wolf
December 16, 2011, 11:27
I have several old pretty nice .22 rifles set up with peep rears and aperture front sights I would not mind taking to our local youth shoots for the “youts” to shoot. But, as many are magazine fed I am leary of taking them. Other fellows down there who bring their personal guns (the club does not provide guns) have mentioned to me that they have actually lost magazines in the process. That and the fact that a couple of my guns, a Mossberg 44 and a H&R Targeteer, both have extended 10 round mags that are not necessarily conducive to a youngster shooting prone. So, I have been wondering about making up some dummy mags out of wood or plastic to stick in the magwell just so rounds would not drop all the way through when trying to load. Some of the fellows have resorted to blue painters tape holding the mags in but I want a better solution than that especially since that would not work with my extended mags. Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions or maybe an idea on an easy to work material?

jdmcomp
December 17, 2011, 08:35
I would think plexiglass would work, and scrap pieces can be found at sign shops very cheaply. It is easily glued, easily sanded but hard to saw due to melting. Saw slowly and use a hand saw. (shops use a water cooled saw blade to prevent the plastic from melting and filling the saw slot)

Timber Wolf
December 19, 2011, 07:52
Was surfing at Midway (OK, I Christmas shopping for myself) and saw this: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/184379/cz-single-shot-magazine-adapter-cz-452-22-long-rifle It is exactly what I am looking for except they do not make them for long out of production rifles like I am using. Same concept though.