PDA

View Full Version : whats out there in 308...

hershey
December 10, 2011, 19:42
my dad is over the hump in life and is enjoying his toys, he is very impulse oriented and most of his firearms are bought that way. i had him in a gun show today and he stumbled across a registered bm 59, he damn near laid $8500 out right on the spot. he left me scrambling to figure out what exactly they were.

in hindsight, we did some reasoning and he wants a legal 3 position selector weapon chambered in 308, i think there are a few fal's, we got bm-59's, the bipod mounted stuff 1919's???, but he wants something shoulder fired, and reasonably accurate in semi mode. is there anything in the ar-10 platform? i have heard of registered sears in
scar's, but....

he did not fully understand what 1986 was all about, and i am not sure he completely grasps it as yet, but he does understand that you cannot go out and do current production anything.

how totally unpractical would it be for a small business owner llc etc... to go out and set himself up so he could buy pre may samples?

K. Funk
December 11, 2011, 06:25
Springfield Armory made FAL's (SAR-48) are a good deal. For about 10-12k you get a selective fire FAL. Their M1-A's are in the same ballpark if not a little less. It's gonna be hard to find a 3 position .308 FA. Another one to consider on a budget is a Ruger AC556. I just got into my 3 position for les than 6k.

krf

2barearms
December 11, 2011, 09:44
A Box fed 308 like a BM 59 built in Italy for $8,500? if I had had the time
and the money I'd have bought it. Much however would depend on the
condition of the rifle. I saw a DSA built STG 58 on the Sturm board not
too far back that was $7,500, I'd check there and Subguns. It would certainly
be better to buy one from someone in your AO as opposed to fishing the
internet. You could look at the back of the SAR Magazine to find some
reputable Dealers, most of these guys advertise on Sturm however.

Blackmore
December 11, 2011, 17:57
There are also FA G3s out there. My FFL has one. Fun to shoot with 7.62 NATO but a lot cheaper with the .22 conversion bolt, mag and barrel liner.

fnogger
December 12, 2011, 07:33
Still not 308, but a semi FNC runs around 3k and a 4 position registered kit another $3k ... more registered trigger groups than host guns ...

TNMntns
December 12, 2011, 10:16
I would take him to a place that rents them first & let him shoot one before laying out that kind of money on something he may not like. Depending on his age & his ability having the first couple of rounds hit near the target & the rest up in the trees may change his mind. Just a thought.

aardq
December 12, 2011, 13:58
Why not take him to Knob Creek, KY, in April or Oct for their gun show? You'll both have fun checking out all the fun stuff, and watching the guns on the firing line. You can also pay to shoot various FAs. He may find something that he likes!
And you'll both have a great time.

Dan

missileer
December 12, 2011, 20:59
hershey, please check your pm's

stimpsonjcat
December 19, 2011, 16:57
Originally posted by K. Funk
Springfield Armory made FAL's (SAR-48) are a good deal. For about 10-12k you get a selective fire FAL.

Like dis? :D

http://db.tt/xZFfj66u

kev
December 20, 2011, 16:51
Transferable .308 is pretty limited. Forget AR10; there may be a couple, but they'd be way out there in price,...............like high 20's at least. Strangely, I paid $2000 for my pre-sample, so if there's any interest in going that route you should look into it closely. I've seen the pre-samps around $4500 lately. Not only do you save a ton of money buying pre-samples,.................the options are profoundly better.

BM59 is probably the best deal going in a transferable .308 by quite a margin. I think you'll need a bit of luck to find a G3, M14, or FAL for much under $13k and that's just about all that's out there. Only drawback to the Beretta is that mags are spendy and parts aren't nearly as common as for the others, but they can be had easily enough. Chances are you can get by quite well with $500-$1000 worth of parts and mags. You don't really need 100 magazines for each rifle. I've never shot one, but I've always heard that the BM is the best shooting standard weight .308 available. I don't like the G3 and I get tired of the M14 pretty quick too. I've got a standard barrel FAL and it's not too bad, but the heavy barrels from the bipod are more fun.

Truthfully, I'd have to look real hard at a semi AR10 and a SlideFire stock right now. I'll bet you could set up a fairly impressive system with spares for well under $2000 and at the very worst you'd have a slightly over-priced AR10. The guys I've talked with who've tried them have thought pretty highly of them. I'm scared to try one with all the dollars I have dumped into the C3 stuff.

There's nothing at all to buying pre-samples. All you need to do is get your FFL. Think about incorporating so that all 'officers'of the corp can have legal access to the guns. Advantage to being a sole proprietor is that the pre-samples and transferables instantly become your personal property if/when you give up the license, but as long as you keep the corp current, it can still possess them too. Once you have your FFL, all you need to do to buy and sell titleII is send in a check for $500 annually. Transferables and pre-samples, along with everything else besides post-samples, simply transfer tax-free on a form3. You may find that you have to transfer quite a few on tax-paid form4 since you'll find a lot of them with ex-dealers(at least I did). Everyone suggests that pre-samples go for roughly half of transferables, but that's only good as a guide. I found many for 1/3 or even 1/4, but the best part of the pre-sample field is that there are models commonly available that just don't exist as transferables,..............along with the fact that all the pre-samps are factory original guns. So many transferables are rewelds or built on aftermarket plates or tubes.

Post-samples are such a hassle that I never wanted to bother with them. You can't keep them; the corp can't keep them. You do need a letter to transfer them in or out. Yeah, they're cheap, but you really don't 'own' them like you do the others.

Geeze, now you have me thinking about a SlideFire AR10 and I already have an original I've never shot! Thanks!

Blackmore
December 22, 2011, 05:56
Originally posted by kev
Strangely, I paid $2000 for my pre-sample, so if there's any interest in going that route you should look into it closely. I've seen the pre-samps around $4500 lately...Everyone suggests that pre-samples go for roughly half of transferables, but that's only good as a guide. I found many for 1/3 or even 1/4, but the best part of the pre-sample field is that there are models commonly available that just don't exist as transferables...

Excellent write-up and description of the pre-sample process. That's how my buddy got his MP5 and I think he paid about a third of what a transferable would have been at the time and about a quarter right now.

Bawana jim
December 22, 2011, 11:00
Local class three has M!A full auto for $10,000 and it looks new. He is selling it for an estate and the guy never shot it much.