PDA

View Full Version : Can uppers be changed on an SBR'd AR?

aardq
November 14, 2011, 21:57
If an AR is SBR’d, can the barreled upper be interchanged at will with a non-SBR upper?? I realize that a copy of the tax stamp needs to be with the SBR version, but what if a non-SBR upper is on the lower? (If that is allowed)

Thanks,
Dan

olgier
November 14, 2011, 22:50
You can change out the uppers all you want. You still need to keep a copy of the paperwork if you put a 20 inch on as the lower is still registered, not the upper.

Bull915
November 14, 2011, 22:56
Sure you can. All you've done is make the SBR into a LESS restricted weapon. No problems there. The only thing that could possibly cause you a problem is if you put on an upper that was shorter than the measurements on your paperwork. Some say "an SBR is an SBR" while others say that your paperwork sets the minimum. I choose not to go shorter just to be safe.

aardq
November 15, 2011, 11:09
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking about getting an AR, SBR, and wondered about using other uppers. Now I know. And since the lower is registered, then it goes that if the SBR upper was put on the wrong lower, it would be a violation. Maybe put the copy on the lower so this mistake doesn't happen.

Thanks again guys,
Dan

Blackmore
November 16, 2011, 06:26
Originally posted by olgier
You can change out the uppers all you want. You still need to keep a copy of the paperwork if you put a 20 inch on as the lower is still registered, not the upper.

Yeah, keep your paperwork with you though the vast majority of LEOs don't know what it is or means. A friend of mine was shooting his Colt Commando on his (safe) backyard range. Some busybody called the cops reporting FA fire and when the officer arrived my friend handed him his tax stamp. The guy looked at it like it was written in Chinese, gave it back to him and told him to be careful to keep fire against his backstop.

DesertFALrat
November 17, 2011, 12:02
Only permanent changes to the weapon needs to be recorded on the Form.

Temporary changes (ie changing the upper for the day) is not regulated.

Technically, with a barrel length equal to or greater than 16", the firearm is no longer NFA, and the paperwork is no longer required.

When storing the weapon, I would reccommend putting the upper on the lower for which it is papered. (CYA)

aardq
November 17, 2011, 19:55
Thanks again everyone. Always lot of knowledge and good info on the files.

Dan