PDA

View Full Version : Search issues.

Joey2tone
November 04, 2011, 01:57
I'm having trouble using the search function on this site. Every query I've put in 'search by keyword' comes back "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." I've tried using AND, as well as changing the search options with no improvement in my searches. I was educated over at the other files to use search before posting questions but that just doesn't work for me here. What's a man to do?

idsubgun
November 04, 2011, 15:20
Tell us what you're looking for and then we can suggest how to go about it.

Joey2tone
November 04, 2011, 21:21
I'm looking for threads on building my first FAL. Things like using pin gages, whose gages to get. General build info. I looked through gunsmithing, biy, and eureka threads and many links and images are no longer valid. I know that there are instructional info available for purchase. I also know that most; if not all, info needed is in the forums. I'm just having trouble finding it.

Joey2tone
November 08, 2011, 01:19
So.... any suggestions idsubgun?

Elmer G FuD
November 08, 2011, 01:47
Select "match partial name" plus, "search entire post".

Use phrases, 2-4 words works well

You can also dig up to a year back. the default is 30 days.

To get specific, search only a specific forum, etc, etc,

Using "And", BTW, will narrow and limit the search, using the, * ,will broaden the search.

For instance, start, run, cmd, delete *.* in windows. :D

to make it a bit easier on yourself just get this:
"Gunplumber's guide to FN FAL Home Gunsmithing"

from here www.GunThings.com or here http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/

Guages, here: Headspace (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6635/Product/MATCH-RIFLE-HEADSPACE-GAUGES)

idsubgun
November 09, 2011, 22:11
Originally posted by Joey2tone
So.... any suggestions idsubgun?

Sorry I didn't get back sooner.

I suggest three things.

1) get Gunplumber's book/DVD as was suggested.

2) ask your questions in the Gunsmithing forum.

3) find someone in your area with build experience, and possibly the tools, so you'll not only gain from their knowledge, but can borrow the tools instead of buying them.

And there is another option. Send it to a FAL gunsmith and have them build it. If you don't have any of the tools, and only plan on building one rifle, you'll spend nearly as much for the tools (possibly more) as it would cost to send it to someone and have them barrel and headspace it, which is all you really need because you can assemble the rest by yourself.

denver
November 09, 2011, 22:19
Try using google to search the site, and only this site, by adding "site:www.falfiles.com" to your google search.

For instance, to find this thread, do a google search for "trouble using search site:www.falfiles.com"

W.E.G.
November 09, 2011, 22:27
Every query I've put in 'search by keyword' comes back "Sorry - no matches.

You're doing it wrong.

Give me an example of one of the search terms that you tried, and for which you received that error message.

falcom
November 12, 2011, 11:08
If I type the search term "Handguard"( without quotes) either titles only or entire message for a 3 month search range I immediately get the no matches message.
I have noticed this before. The no matches message appears immediately-much faster than a normal search.

Google finds lots of recent matches.

November 12, 2011, 22:30
I'm having trouble using the search function on this site. Every query I've put in 'search by keyword' comes back "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." I've tried using AND, as well as changing the search options with no improvement in my searches. I was educated over at the other files to use search before posting questions but that just doesn't work for me here. What's a man to do?

Use this custom FAL Files Search Engine on google its much easier to use, and you'll find tons of info on this forum related to the FAL and more.
http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=016627024816471058913:jrp-_hjyone

Hope this will help you out.
007 :biggrin:

NEWFNL1A1
December 01, 2011, 14:24
Originally posted by 007

Use this custom FAL Files Search Engine on google its much easier to use, and you'll find tons of info on this forum related to the FAL and more.

007, I would like to thank you for this....helped me research stuff here 1000% easier!!!!!!!

NEWFNL1A1
December 12, 2011, 21:53
Originally posted by 007

Mods, Could make this a sticky? Since the board searches are disabled for now this is a way to search for topics. It works great! (Thanks 007)

W.E.G.
December 12, 2011, 22:20
I can do better than that.

I can make it an Announcement.

NEWFNL1A1
December 12, 2011, 22:26
Originally posted by W.E.G.

Coolness! :bow:

Jen
December 12, 2011, 22:35
I already did that.. about 5 seconds after I disabled the search feature :eek:

Joey2tone
December 13, 2011, 01:17
Originally posted by NEWFNL1A1

Mods, Could make this a sticky? Since the board searches are disabled for now this is a way to search for topics. It works great! (Thanks 007)

Originally posted by W.E.G.

Originally posted by Jen
I already did that.. about 5 seconds after I disabled the search feature :eek:

That's not good! None the less, thank you for the update! I thought my search Feng shui was broken.....

jugrunner
December 19, 2011, 13:01
It really helps to know some of the old DOS commands ... :wink: