PDA

View Full Version : Tupperware recall- Gen 4

cpd109
October 19, 2011, 18:36
Yup, the recoil spring is the problem on Gen 4s. The only ones that I think are OK and do not need to be changed are the G26 and G27. (Don't know about the G18, but don't know anyone that has one of those.) If you have one of the Gen 4s, please get it checked or you can probably to go glock on line and get the scoop by your gun's S/N. They have a hot line for this issue only and I got my replacement pretty quickly. And they want their part back and enclose a post paid shipping bag for it. Field strip, put the new spring assembly in, and ship the old one out.

This has been out for a while so if you already knew about it, thats good. If not, well, now you know. Good luck.

moonbat60
October 19, 2011, 19:53
Our local LE agency has that done too to their duty Glocks. Strange thing was, they called it an "upgrade" .

I don't seeit quite the same way. To me replacing a faulty or potentially faulty part is a correction, not an upgrade.

My only tupperware gun is a Springfield XD, that never had that kind of a problem.

:fal:

Pete

moonbat60
October 19, 2011, 20:01
Sorry, I forgot to add a few things :

Glock always talks in their ads about "Glock Perfection" :rofl:

Nothing about a Glock is "perfect" .

They are just cheaply made pistols with poor ergonomics and simple engineering.

Years ago they've been all the hype and what anyone and everyone wanted............just not me.

Safe action ain't that safe either.

Pete

cpd109
October 19, 2011, 20:24
Originally posted by moonbat60
Sorry, I forgot to add a few things :

Glock always talks in their ads about "Glock Perfection" :rofl:

Nothing about a Glock is "perfect" .

They are just cheaply made pistols with poor ergonomics and simple engineering.

Years ago they've been all the hype and what anyone and everyone wanted............just not me.

Safe action ain't that safe either.

Pete

Not to get off a rant, but their system is simple and reliable. I didn't think very differently from you until I got smart on them. Now I have a different opinion.

I offered this to GLOCK owners so they would have the best that there is to offer. If you don't have a GLOCK, go rant about their worthlessness on your own thread. I'll come troll on it for you if you'd like.

BTW, after Springfield has made millions of XDs with no recalls, give me a call. With man-made things, there is always room for improvement.

W.E.G.
October 19, 2011, 21:18
http://www.teamglock.com/customer-service/recoil-spring-exchange

GLOCK Inc. is voluntarily exchanging the recoil spring assembly (RSA) on its new Gen4 pistols (with the exception of G26 and G27 models). GLOCK has developed a new design to the recoil spring assemblies on its Gen4 pistols to replace several variations that are functioning in the market today. As part of the company’s commitment to perfection, we are voluntarily exchanging the existing RSA in order to ensure our products perform up to GLOCK’s stringent standards.

GLOCK is replacing the RSA in all Gen4s sold before July 22, 2011 at no cost. Please complete the following procedure to receive a new RSA. The RSA can safely and simply be swapped out using normal field stripping protocols. If you have additional questions, please contact GLOCK at 1-877-745-8523 with your serial number and model number.
CONSUMER ACTION:

Call 1-877-745-8523 with your serial number and model number to request your modified RSA. GLOCK will verify your serial number and collect shipping information
Within 30 days, GLOCK will send you a replacement RSA along with a pre-addressed envelope to mail in your old spring
Ensure your Gen4 is completely unloaded
Field strip your GLOCK per the instructions found in your ‘Instructions for Use’ manual that came with your pistol and replace the old RSA with the new one
Place the old RSA in the supplied shipping container and give to the United States Postal Service (USPS)

W.E.G.
October 19, 2011, 21:20
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/humor/glockhomer.jpg

ftierson
October 19, 2011, 21:40
Originally posted by cpd109
With man-made things, there is always room for improvement.

But, some would say (like me, for example), the Gen4 recoil springs assembly is no improvement over the previous recoil spring assembly, which never gave problems in the G17...

Changing things just to change things to make it look like a newer design is not necessarily an improvement.

Just sayin'...

kayakpirate
October 21, 2011, 19:24
Originally posted by ftierson

But, some would say (like me, for example), the Gen4 recoil springs assembly is no improvement over the previous recoil spring assembly, which never gave problems in the G17...

Changing things just to change things to make it look like a newer design is not necessarily an improvement.

Just sayin'...

Thats pretty much my take on the whole Gen 4 thing anyway.

Super B
October 24, 2011, 19:09
My Glock functioned fine before the recoil spring change. My Glock functions fine after the recoil spring change.

What the problem is?

fal fiend
October 28, 2011, 18:57
Very things thing i would bank my life on, my glock 22 is 1 off them, it works correctly everytime.

cpd109
October 29, 2011, 08:25
Originally posted by Super B
My Glock functioned fine before the recoil spring change. My Glock functions fine after the recoil spring change.

What the problem is?

Same here. Since I am not an enjineeer, I have hope that they know what they are doing. And, if they are going to all this trouble and expense and harsh criticisms waiting in the wings for them, there must be something to it and certainly upper management will be aware that there is a possiblity of a problem.

Look at food recalls. You have 1 person that gets a potato that makes them sick and the entire crop is condemned. Does that mean the crop was really bad, or maybe, just maybe the one tater that made the person sick, rather than the rotgut whiskey they drank while eating the tater? I err on the side of caution. Especially when it doesn't cost anything.

And:

ftierson quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by cpd109
With man-made things, there is always room for improvement.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was taught that there are 8 reasons change are incorporated in an organization, or in this case, a handgun. "Because I can" is one of them.
On the Gen 4, I like the semi- rough texture frame and the magazine release button is a good size now and easy to get to. Everything else seems about the same, but as you say, it was all good before. I consider these inprovements that were't needed, but are welcome nontheless.

Could be the spring steel composition was changed so it would have a longer life and be more reliable. I don't know, but I did examine the springs side by side and didn't notice any differences.

October 30, 2011, 11:57
the recoil spring system on my g27 gen 3 failed a couple years ago, the telescoping springs telescoped together and jammed together and locked up the gun, dont remember how i got it apart, ordered another spring assy and good to go again. my lesson, replace the dual spring assy often cause if it fails it locks the pistol up. a single spring would would just weaken over time. keep it simple stupid. the glock dual spring assy for gen 4 glocks was a very stupid change imhp.

idsubgun
October 31, 2011, 17:16
The Gen 4's also have uneven/tapered frames at the front. We've had to modify our .22 LR conversions so they work on Gen 4 even though they worked on all other generations.

GySgt D
November 03, 2011, 12:37
I received my new RSA a few weeks ago. It arrived 21 days after I emailed Glock.

As far as "What was wrong with the original (Gen 4) RSA", for one thing, it would "uncapture" itself. This not only would cause it to get jammed up in the receiver, but was also an extreme eye hazard during routine maintenance.

The new RSA features a collar at the front, which I would hope solves that problem.

Haven't had an opportunity to test-fire it yet; perhaps this weekend.

Heat
November 11, 2011, 00:56
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fal fiend
Very things thing i would bank my life on, my glock 22 is 1 off them, it works correctly everytime. [/QUOTE

Ditto. I have owned half a dozen Glocks and each one worked flawlessly. Cant say that for 1911's or even ruger revolvers I have owned. The simpler the device, the more relaible.

examples: Glock, AK-47 (clones), Mossberg shotguns--I have owned all would trust them with my life. Oh, and Mausers too!:wink:

Lee Carpentieri
November 16, 2011, 05:22
A Good friend of mine bought a Glock in 357 Sig about two weeks ago and also purchased 3 extra Mags for the pistol and are Factory Glock mags also. He went to the local range and all five mags refused to feed. He tore the mags apart and found only 9 coils in the mags. He called Glock and they said they would replace the springs in all five mags for 26.00 dollars shipped. This is a new Gen 4 Glock. The new springs according to Glock should have 11 coils. So if you have a new Gen 4 Glock in 357 Sig, Check the coils in the magazines, Should be 11 instead of 9.

declaration
November 25, 2011, 23:50
purchesed my g 22 in march of 02 blew off the frame rails today with my daughter Nice!
switching to an all steel 1911

SteelonSteel
December 21, 2011, 10:53
I carry one at work. Gen 1.

I carried the same pistol for 14 years with minor updates and upgrades along the way; followers, extractors, ejectors were replaced when Glock said to. Stupidly we've always used the same magazine springs until they didn't work correctly anymore, sometimes the armorer giving them a stretch and sending them back out until they could order proper fresh ones. Not once was the recoil spring replaced that I know of. Suddenly they're shocked that the rear metal tab frame rails are cracking and chipping at the bend. No shit sherlocks. The magazine springs should have been replaced more regularly and were the number one cause of stoppages in my view.

Allegedly the department has it all worked out for a swap to all new Gen4's. I'm currently carrying an uncracked spare dept Gen1 that had little use. Damned if the trigger is all stiff and jerky again. I liked my broke in one.

I can only recall a couple failures, one of which was when the gun was new in '96 and the claw snapped off the extractor in the first 500 rounds.