PDA

View Full Version : What did I do to my Woo?

Blain
October 01, 2011, 12:44
I was screwing a screw into my Woo's rear upper receiver hole, found out the screw was too long as I was tightening it down and took it out. However, when I went to hand cycle the action it was VERY stiff and difficult to draw back the bolt with the charging handle.

I disassembled the rifle and inspected the receiver from the inside. Seemed fine and undamaged. The bolt carrier group and piston also seemed fine and undamaged and they slide back and forth in the gun freely with the recoil guide rod and spring out. However, it is when I put the guide rod and spring in the receiver that I notice the problem.

It doesn't look broken but I think I buggered it up somehow. I see that it is a two piece design with the smaller rod being guided into the larger one. Can the fit between the two rods be tightened? I'm not sure how they connected together, if they screw in, etc. How can one disassemble this piece to inspect it closer, and what do you think happened to my Woo?

Thanks!

Actually....now that I'm thinking about it. Are the daewoo's receiver holes supposed to have white /silver colored screw channels? The daewoo's receiver is grey, but the screw inserts where the screw goes in is metal colored and they have two little U shaped silver things on each end. Maybe this guy installed screw inserts to fit the screws of his stupid cheap rail he had on the thing. If this is so, how would one uninstall them?

Can anyone show me a picture of their receiver holes?

Here's a picture of what I'm dealing with.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Q2NpaJxY_aQ/TodbgKvlkMI/AAAAAAAAAXk/fU5Aqev_sNE/s912/Hole%2525201.jpg

s0b3
October 01, 2011, 15:55
iirc those screw inserts (helicoils) are factory, you wouldn't want to use steel screws on an aluminum receiver.

i don't think you could have moved those to impede bolt movement.

Blain
October 01, 2011, 16:11
What do you believe could have impeded the bolt movement?

StormWerkz
October 01, 2011, 17:29
Mine don't have thread inserts.
Check inside the receiver and see if anything is projecting in from the insert area.

Blain
October 01, 2011, 19:30
Nothing is protruding from the insert area.

I really think it has something to do with the piston spring and spring guide, though I'm not sure how or why. The piston assembly and bolt carrier group slide smoothly and freely in the receiver when the spring/spring guide is out. I insert the spring and spring guide and it still moves freely. It isn't until I compress the spring/guide when I put it in the receiver (or even hold the take down lever to its compressed state by hand) that I have the very difficult resistance when pulling the charging handle / bolt carrier group back.

Is there a way to disassemble that piece?

Blain
October 02, 2011, 14:08
I've managed to disassemble the op rod, and I've figured out what the problem is. Bent op rod spring guide. Looks like there is a ding where the screw tried to "screw into it", it caused the outer guide rod to bend slightly, and the inner guide rod won't feed smoothly because of it.

Let's see if I can bend it back into working operation with my leatherman.

Topbanana
October 02, 2011, 17:41
It's prolly too late to say DON'T do that huh?

s0b3
October 02, 2011, 20:39
DRP has a few parts:

http://daewoorifleparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=98
http://daewoorifleparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=97

Blain
October 02, 2011, 22:43
Yeah, those parts are fine. The piece I need is out of stock. Hopefully I can fix it on my own.

s0b3
October 03, 2011, 13:36
so was the op rod damaged the entire time or did it work at work at one point? you have any idea on how it got damaged?

Blain
October 03, 2011, 14:27
The op rod isn't damaged, it's fine and very heavy duty. The op rod spring guide, which is much flimsier is what is damaged.

The woo had a cheap rail attached to it on top of the receiver. It was a little loose so I screwed the rear screw (the screw hole is pictured above) down more to tighten it up. I felt some resistance for a few turns, and just took the thing off. I ended up screwing into the op rod spring and spring guide.

The spring guide consists of two cylindrical pieces with the smaller one sliding in and out of the larger diameter one. I screwed into the middle of the larger diameter one and put a crease across the top of it, and bent it.

Here is a picture of the assembly
http://daewoorifleparts.com/images/RECOILSPNGASSY.DISASSEMBLED.jpg

I've mostly been able to straighten the piece out now, but the crease that I put in it is protruding on the inside so at that point, there is a lot of resistance for the smaller cylindrical piece to slide past. It can when forced, but it doesn't freely slide past that point.

Specifically it's the larger end piece of the smaller rod that is having resistance sliding past that point. If you look at the picture, the end of the smaller cylindrical piece is next to the larger piece it slides in and out of. It has a larger "wheel" shaped end there so that the smaller piece can be inserted small side first through the back of the big cylindrical piece. The smaller rod can then extend all the way out of the larger piece, but the fatter wheel shaped end keeps it from coming out of that side. To be removed from the larger piece, the guide has to be taken out of receiver and the smaller piece slid out backwards through it.

s0b3
October 03, 2011, 15:11
i see. give drp a call or email, he may have some parts that aren't listed.

JohnnyReb
October 03, 2011, 19:12
How about trying to find a steel rod that just barely fits down the shaft, then hammer it in to bend the crushed spot back out?

jerry704
October 04, 2011, 12:51
Or even a hard wood dowel rod pushed through it may bend it back out. Good luck and keep us posted!!!

JohnnyReb
October 10, 2011, 07:12
Blain,

If you don't get yours fixed send me a PM. I bought a complete recoil spring assembly from Scott V2 that you can have for my cost.