PDA

View Full Version : SBR Upper

splogan
August 25, 2011, 00:51
This might be stupid but can you legally own an AR upper with a 12" barrel than has not been mated to a SBR stamped lower or a pistol lower?

Delta-3
August 25, 2011, 08:50
Technically, yes. As long as they aren't mated together. Although it's a VERY fine line between legal & "intent". Especially with an AR being so easily assembled.

jaykden
August 25, 2011, 10:38
its really gray.

quite a few guys own AR pistols, along with standard title1 AR rifles.

its not illegal. but don't accidentally mix them up!

kev
August 25, 2011, 17:44
The question you have to ask yourself is,.............."Do I have a legal use for it?" If not, then no, it's not legal to possess. That's where they get you on constructive possession. If the only identifiable use is an illegal one, they can logically presume intent.

KoKodog
August 29, 2011, 13:44
you might want to do some reading, since constructive intent is spelled out a bit better in this new ruling

>>> CLICK FOR ATF LINK <<< (http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf)

olgier
August 29, 2011, 15:30
I have extra SBR uppers in diff calibers. They do not get mated to a lower when in the safe. They stay seperated unless I'm putting one on an SBR lower. There is no intent to make an illegal SBR.

If I had no SBR lowers, and no pistols, but had an SBR/pistol upper, then it may be cause for "intent".