PDA

View Full Version : Sig P6 Questions

Buster H
August 14, 2011, 14:48
Gents,

Have some questions about the P6...

Used W. German Police trade in (mfd 1979) in a local shop for 400. 2 Mags. Holster. In the blue case with a test target.

Is that a decent price currently? I understand 2-3 years ago they could be had for much less, but I haven't seen many of them lately.

Finish is a what I would call a bit rough, but seems to be average for these.

I like the slim grip of the single stack, and 8 round capacity is fine with me, especially as it seems to fit my hand well.

I like sigs, but don't want a double stack 226/228/229, so the P6 or P225 seem to be the way to go.

The shop will let me disassemble it for thorough inspection if I am "seriously interested;" is there anything I should be looking out for in terms of problem areas for wear or damage?

Thanks,

Buster

lawdog
August 30, 2011, 08:43
I too, missed the boat on buying a P6 when they were coming in large numbers. Then, around May or June of this year I was in a shop that had one with very little finish on it and got to handling it. I fell in love with how perfect this pistol fit my hand. The shop sold it to me for $380 out the door.

Then I went onto Gunbroker and found another with a buy it now price of $200.00. That's right, $200.00 I jumped on it and it showed up with more finish on it and in better shape than the $380 one.

Then, lo and behold, someone sold off more of them on Gunbroker with a no reserve starting price of $295.00. As luck would have it, no-one else bid on them, so I snagged my third P6 for $295.00 It is in excellent shape with little to no wear.

By picking them up on GB, I didn't pay sales tax (shipping equalled sales tax) and my dealer charged $15.00 to receive and transfer them. Still with the much lower price, I made out very well. I was so happy with the finish on the pistols that I got off of gunbroker, that I took the one with the rough finish that I bought from my local dealer and he gave me every penny back on a trade for a Rock River AR.

Unless the urge is eating away at you so badly that you can't be without a P6 one moment longer, I would recommend that you keep your eyes open for a better deal on Gunbroker. Remember that right now, with the economy sucking so badly it really is a buyer's market and the deals do come along. The only way I would even consider paying $400.00 is if the thing was in very excellent shape. For about $400.00 you can buy a brand new SIG SP2022 vs. a used P6.

Whoops, just re-read your post that you don't want a double stack. Oh well, keep your eyes peeled for a better deal on a P6.

Tim Dreas
August 30, 2011, 10:47
The frame is aluminum so that should be closely inspected. A lot of the early P225's don't do well with many hollow points. FMJ bullets aren't a problem for them.

jvm
August 30, 2011, 12:01
If you want more than on or two mags, start looking at the prices if you can find them

Stoney
August 30, 2011, 13:51
P-38 mags can be modded to work

gunnut1
August 30, 2011, 17:28
A lot of the early P225's don't do well with many hollow points.

My P6 did not like hollow points. I sent it to Customized Creationz and Todd recontured the feed ramp and now it feeds hollow points like a champ.

He did an outstanding job and I have the barrel back in about a week.

gunnut1
August 30, 2011, 17:33
Originally posted by jvm
If you want more than on or two mags, start looking at the prices if you can find them

I lucked out. I found a bunch of used Sig P6/P225 mags at a guns show. He wanted a mere $7.00 for them so I bought all that he had. They work great. So look around. You never know what you will find.

millersm99
September 01, 2011, 10:57
Wonderful weapon. Shop around, there are some nice ones out there.

Artful
September 02, 2011, 00:55
Originally posted by gunnut1

I lucked out. I found a bunch of used Sig P6/P225 mags at a guns show. He wanted a mere $7.00 for them so I bought all that he had. They work great. So look around. You never know what you will find.

You are one lucky man :eek:

gunnut1
September 02, 2011, 16:57
Originally posted by Artful

You are one lucky man :eek:

Even a blind hog finds an apple once in a while. After all of the bad dealing at gun shows, it was about time for a steal!!!!!!

Buster H
September 08, 2011, 08:48
Fellas,

Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eyes open. Went back to the shop and found out they had 10% mil discount, which brought it into my "tolerable but with a grimace" range, but it was gone. Oh well, not a screaming deal.

Thanks,
Buster

ratas calientes
September 09, 2011, 22:00
Snag a few when you find them. I picked up two, a couple of my sons each purchased one, and I recommended them to a few friends who have all been happy with theirs.

Mine have been 100%, and they run with hollow points.

Mine also work with Pro-Mag magazines, but I use them only for range use. Spend the money and get factory mags for serious carry. I think they generally run around $40 each.

Nice little pistols. You will be pleased.