PDA

View Full Version : MSAR in 9mm ?

moonbat60
July 23, 2011, 12:08
Hey guys,

does anybody have any idea if and when we might see an MSAR ( AUG clone ) in 9mm Luger ?

I emailed MSAR twice, but got no response yet.

:fal:

Pete

Squint
July 23, 2011, 14:51
I have a worse problem. I emailed about 2 months ago to get a return authorization to have them look at my STG556. I called them a few times about 3 months ago about it. I moved to a new town and finally confirmed that there was a UPS service center here a couple of weeks ago. I finally got around to sending the rifle to their Fletcher, NC office last week. I checked UPS tracking on Friday to find out that UPS couldn't deliver the rifle because the company was no longer there!!!

I have been calling the UPS help line off and on today to tell them to return the package to me and so far all I have gotten is a busy signal.

moonbat60
July 25, 2011, 18:46
Squint, did you try to get with their distributor, Rat Worx or so ?

Maybe they can help you. MSAR's web site is still up.

Anybody else that has one that wants to sell one ? I've seen a few, or were those just prototypes ?

Pete

Squint
July 25, 2011, 20:20
Yeah, I will probably see if Ratworx will work on it. Ran like a top until I traded my 16 inch barrel for a 20. Now it jams when I get down to the last 5 rounds or so in a magazine. Thought it must be a gas problem.

moonbat60
July 25, 2011, 22:02
Sounds like your gas port might be clogged up. Does yours have a 3-position gas regulator ? You might want to check it too. It sounds like with the 20" barrel, yours might not get all the gas it needs.

Another point might be a weak magazine spring. do you keep your magazines fully loaded over extended periods of time ?

As far as I remember, the AUG / MSAR are both gas piston operated.

Pete

Squint
July 26, 2011, 20:07
Brand new barrel (and therefore gas system.) Magazines used twice before and stored unloaded. Tried gas on both gas settings - not the off position.

moonbat60
July 27, 2011, 19:21
Squint,

now that's strange. What kind of ammo are you using ? Steel case like Russian Wolf or some such, or quality ammo like Federal, Winchester etc ?

Pete

Squint
July 27, 2011, 21:05
Again, with the original barrel I had 2 malfunctions in about 400 rounds.

With the new barrel I get stoppages with South African ball, Remington commercial, and South Korean 5.56.

I don't shoot steel case ammo.

moonbat60
July 28, 2011, 19:56
This sounds to me like a gas pressure issue. Unfortuneately you don't have a gas regulator with that many settings like on a FAL.

The other issue I could see is the recoil spring being too strong / heavy.

Got trouble pulling the charging handle backwards ?

Pete

Squint
July 28, 2011, 23:11
Rifle ran fine with original 16inch barrel. Must be a gas issue with the new barrel and attached gas system.

moonbat60
July 29, 2011, 20:18
Squint,

though I don't know the AUG series that well, I'll try to help you out. As a matter of fact, I never handled one or disassembled one.

From what I gather, the different barrel lengths came each with a different gas system.

It almost seems that your gas system was not made for a 20" barrel.

Pete

Squint
July 29, 2011, 21:53
The gas system is attached to the barrel. When you swap out the barrel there is a gas system (cylinder, piston, and plug) attached to it. The gas system on my 20" barrel came attached to it.

moonbat60
August 01, 2011, 16:49
Hey Squint,

the only other idea that I get is that they sent you the wrong gas system parts.

Pete

olgier
August 01, 2011, 17:09
Be happy you got your stuff back. I sent parts back to them a month ago, and now get no response. Kinda hard to run a gun with no extractor, so I'm glad I spent the $120.00 for the ratworx hybrid as the original will probably never come back.

Think I'm going to sell it off. (no, it's not a 9mm, it's a 5.56)

Squint
August 01, 2011, 18:22
I would probably sell mine if it was running well. I wouldn't sell it to someone running like it is now. Sorry to hear about not getting your extractor back olgier.

olgier
August 01, 2011, 18:25
I got mine running by adding a rubber O ring to the extractor spring.

Squint
August 01, 2011, 20:51
I should have never traded the original 16" barrel for a 20" I guess. Ran like a top. It looks cooler now though :D

moonbat60
August 04, 2011, 18:22
I would have never traded a 16" barrel on a bullpup for a 20" . To me a bullpup needs to be SHORT ( in the sense of "compact" )

It seems as if the gas system of your 20" has got some wrong parts.

Pete

CRShooter32
August 06, 2011, 11:26
Squint, sorry to hear you are having problems with that 20" barrel, if you go the Ratworx route, they are handling MSAR's warranty work right now, full repair and replacement of parts as needed under warranty, and have been doing great in taking care of folks with issues. However, if you want/need to, I wouldn't have a problem with swapping the barrels back, I don't want to see you stuck with any problems.

According to MSAR's website, they are reorganizing their repair facility, but who knows what thet could really mean.

Squint
August 06, 2011, 12:01
Hey CrShooter32. I am guessing that you are who I traded with. Thanks very much for the kind offer but I want the 20" barrel. I just want it to work :D

I take it the 16" barrel works fine with your rifle?

Jbird
August 06, 2011, 15:36
As I understand it, MSAR made several different gas plugs. Each caliber & barrel length uses a different gas plug. The difference is the bleed hole. I have also heard that some barrels left the factory with the wrong plug installed. Contact Ratworx, they can probably help you determine the plug that you have & also get you the correct plug, if that is in fact the problem with your rifle.

olgier
August 06, 2011, 15:44
Funny, when I contacted Ratworx, they told me to get ahold of MSAR.

I'm glad I replaced the entire bolt and got mine working. If they ever get my extractor back to me I'll sell the bolt next. The rifle is already sitting on a gunstore shelf. It runs well now, but I'm done with it.

Squint
August 06, 2011, 20:09
Originally posted by Jbird
As I understand it, MSAR made several different gas plugs. Each caliber & barrel length uses a different gas plug. The difference is the bleed hole. I have also heard that some barrels left the factory with the wrong plug installed. Contact Ratworx, they can probably help you determine the plug that you have & also get you the correct plug, if that is in fact the problem with your rifle.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

CRShooter32
August 14, 2011, 10:59
Originally posted by Squint
Hey CrShooter32. I am guessing that you are who I traded with. Thanks very much for the kind offer but I want the 20" barrel. I just want it to work :D

I take it the 16" barrel works fine with your rifle?

Yes, I am the one you traded with, and the 16" barrel works fine. I hope you are able to get the problem worked out, there is nothing worse than a high priced rifle that has issues, had my share in the past with a Sig556.

Squint
August 14, 2011, 11:08
I am sure that I will get it running well again sometime.