PDA

View Full Version : Bore sighting for 1,000 yrds

Blaster
July 22, 2011, 19:44
A few years ago, I attended a FCSA shooters clinic down at the Whittington Center, Raton, NM. The guy running the clinic was Bob McBride of Denver who is/was very up on various .50BMG stuff.
We were taught that to get "on the 1,000 yard target" and save ammo by doing it would be to bore sight by placing two targets at the 100 yard line and have exactly 28-inches for the center of the two bulls eyes.
The scope would be aimed at the center of the bottom target and the bore should be zeroed in on the exact center of the top target. This was at least a starting point for the 1,000 yard shoot to hopefully get on paper quickly.
Here is a picture suggesting how the targets could be placed on the 100 yard line and hopefully fellow shooters will not actually be shooting these targets while they down range for the bore sighting procedure. OK, I'll shut up now.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/bobjan/50BMGsightintgt001jpg.jpg

one more:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/bobjan/50BMGsightintgt002jpg.jpg

rotty
July 23, 2011, 11:50
Have you tried it? Does the method change if I have a 20 moa base?

Blaster
July 23, 2011, 12:28
Originally posted by rotty
Have you tried it? Does the method change if I have a 20 moa base?

Yeah, I tried it but with only three shots. First shot did not even hit the 1,000 yard target, the second shot hit about a foot from the center bull at 3 o'clock and the third went somewhere down range but I don't know exactly where. These shots were with some crappy reloads so unless you have some really reliable loads, this method of bore sighting probably will not work for you.
I don't know enough about this scope/base stuff to comment on the difference a 20MOA base would make. Hopefully there are some resident experts here who will at least make an attempt to answer your question.

rotty
July 23, 2011, 17:01
ok thanks, I would be anxious to know, as I have a 20, 30 and 10 MOA bases fro my rifle, I think I currently have either the 10 or 20 installed, I got "match" hand loads ready to go, now to just find a 1k range.......

Jaxxas
July 23, 2011, 22:40
I have nothing to add to this post except 'If you shoot you are going to ruin your garage door!'

Blaster
July 24, 2011, 08:24
Originally posted by Jaxxas
I have nothing to add to this post except 'If you shoot you are going to ruin your garage door!'

Might also change the shapes of the ATV and hydraulic log splitter behind the garage door.;)

gates
July 24, 2011, 10:26
Jax - Bondo:-)