PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor on AUG

Airacuda
July 20, 2011, 14:22
I was wondering if any of you guys have suppressors on your AUG.Specifically do you get much noise from the gas port and if so could you wrap something around it to quiet it. I have no interest in turning off the gas system to single fire it.
Thanks in advance for any input. I am researching to buy my 1st suppressor and have fired a few on AR's but not a a piston rifle yet.

Tyris
July 21, 2011, 00:52
Originally posted by Airacuda
I was wondering if any of you guys have suppressors on your AUG.Specifically do you get much noise from the gas port and if so could you wrap something around it to quiet it. I have no interest in turning off the gas system to single fire it.
Thanks in advance for any input. I am researching to buy my 1st suppressor and have fired a few on AR's but not a a piston rifle yet.

I run a 223 can on my STG556, it is obviously far better than no silencer but not hearing safe without hearing protection. You will not make a huge change to suppression by wrapping the port up, as youre contending with thousands of PSI.

Silencing the AUG platform is a worth while persuit, but note that it will not be as quiet as an AR15 or Rem700 (not that I'd shoot either without ear plugs).

-T

Peconga
August 18, 2011, 11:12
Originally posted by Tyris

Silencing the AUG platform is a worth while pursuit, but note that it will not be as quiet as an AR15 or Rem700 (not that I'd shoot either without ear plugs).

-T

Why is that? I can understand that it will never be as quiet as a bolt action, but what is so different about the AUG that would make it any louder than an AR15 (assuming the same barrel length)? They are both gas operated semi-autos with a rotating bolt, in the same caliber. Intuitively I would think the AUG would be an even better platform for suppressing due to shorter overall length with a can installed.

As for shooting any of them without earplugs, well that I can understand (even if Hollywood doesn't...).

GySgt D
August 19, 2011, 11:07
I have a Gemtech on mine:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c256/arfcompics/MSAR556.jpg

It is quieter on the AUG than on the AR. ....As long as you have it in the "grenade" position. Sure makes finding your brass easier when you do that, too.

Tyris
September 02, 2011, 12:01
Originally posted by Peconga

Why is that? I can understand that it will never be as quiet as a bolt action, but what is so different about the AUG that would make it any louder than an AR15 (assuming the same barrel length)? They are both gas operated semi-autos with a rotating bolt, in the same caliber. Intuitively I would think the AUG would be an even better platform for suppressing due to shorter overall length with a can installed.

As for shooting any of them without earplugs, well that I can understand (even if Hollywood doesn't...).

The aug gas+piston system vents directly to the atmosphere, the AR15 dumps it back into the receiver after going through a long gas tube. This causes the AUG to be significantly louder. Sadly, the FAL is the same way, but I stuck a 308 can on that too :p

The massive down side to the AR15 is the huge gas in the face from the retardedly placed charging handle. The AUG is much kinder to the shooters face, though some minor pressure comes from the ejection port.

Still, if you have an AUG pattern gun, it is good to put a can on it. Your shooting neighbors will thank you :D :aug:

-T

Stranger
September 03, 2011, 22:15
Originally posted by Tyris

The aug gas+piston system vents directly to the atmosphere, the AR15 dumps it back into the receiver after going through a long gas tube. This causes the AUG to be significantly louder. Sadly, the FAL is the same way, but I stuck a 308 can on that too :p

The massive down side to the AR15 is the huge gas in the face from the retardedly placed charging handle. The AUG is much kinder to the shooters face, though some minor pressure comes from the ejection port.

Still, if you have an AUG pattern gun, it is good to put a can on it. Your shooting neighbors will thank you :D :aug:

-T

The AR system vents directly into the atmosphere as well. It just uses a little ~14" tube to do it.

There is exactly the same amount of gas produced during the firing of an AR as there is in an AUG. It has been shown that there is no difference between the sound impulse of an AR and an AUG.

It all comes down to position of the shooter in relation to the chamber.

Everyone else is going to hear the same thing.

Stranger
September 03, 2011, 22:17
Originally posted by GySgt D
I have a Gemtech on mine:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c256/arfcompics/MSAR556.jpg

It is quieter on the AUG than on the AR. ....As long as you have it in the "grenade" position. Sure makes finding your brass easier when you do that, too.

I see that you have a Gemtech G5 as well......

I am sorry for your misfortune. :|

Tyris
September 05, 2011, 08:58
Originally posted by Stranger

The AR system vents directly into the atmosphere as well. It just uses a little ~14" tube to do it.

There is exactly the same amount of gas produced during the firing of an AR as there is in an AUG. It has been shown that there is no difference between the sound impulse of an AR and an AUG.

It all comes down to position of the shooter in relation to the chamber.

Everyone else is going to hear the same thing.

No, your overly simple explanation fails to account for the pressure drop in the 14" tube, and the gas-trap effects of piping the gas into the bolt carrier and receiver (which allows for an even further pressure drop). The FAL and AUG have neither of those and are much louder.

By your own logic, all semi auto 223 guns are equally loud? That is absurd.

Look, argue with conjecture if you like, but these platforms have been measured with precision sound meters in accordance with MIL-STD-1474D by several silencer manufacturers and independent testers. It has been proven with instruments that venting a centimeter from the barrel to atmosphere is substantially louder than providing a path for pressure to drop.

-T

Stranger
September 06, 2011, 09:13
You can turn off the gas on an AUG but you can't on an AR.

Look, I have done the tests myself using a Gemtech G5. We have mounts on an AR, a MSAR, and two Sig 556 rifles. There was < 1.5 dB difference at the dB meter. (During our tests the meter was secured four feet to the right of the rifle and centered between the muzzle and the action. We ignored shooter versus muzzle differences.) That is not a huge difference.