View Full Version : Cost of shooting the 50 et-al

July 17, 2011, 09:13
It really ain't that much considering I have never personally wanted to shoot more than 30 rounds at any one range session. You will shoot it a lot at first, then the novelty wears off and it sits in the safe a lot. DO NOT expect any accuracy if you shoot mil surp rounds or rounds with mil surp bullets. The military stuff was designed for the M2. It was designed to pattern rather than group. Stay away from the incendiary and tracer stuff. You are going to wind up starting a fire and that ain't good for the shooting sports in general. AP is fun to play with. It will put holes in plate steel pretty good. Just keep in mind that plate steel is NOT armor plate and the 50BMG round will be ineffective against any modern lightly armored vehicle. There is a lot of prejeduce against the 50's mostly due to ignorance so it may be difficult to find a range that allows them. Luckily even my game and fish public range allows them so I am in good shape. Always ask fellow shooters if they would like to take a shot or two with the 50. It is great to see that "50 grin" and it goes a long way toward developing good will.

Keep in mind that if you want any real accuracy with a 50 you are going to have to handload. Match ammo is available but it is very expensive and there is no guarantee they will shoot well in your gun. Hornady Amax can shoot well in some guns but for accuracy, the brass/bronze solids are the real ticket.

K. Funk
July 17, 2011, 17:44
I guess you have to define accuracy. We routinely hit man sized (20" w x 40" h)steel targets at 600yds with all type of ammo including Talon Spotter Tracer, Incendiary, API, Ball etc. We are aware of the fire danger and are prepared for it. I was lucky enough to put a bunch of .50 BMG away before prices went crazy. I buy it anywhere I can for the right price. I also have components enough for about 2,000 rds, which I also got back when prices were good.

July 18, 2011, 00:50
Heh - Beerpop hit a friggin fire extinguisher at 600 or so yards with my first .50 - a Maddi G. - about 10 - 12 years ago on a FF shoot west of town - Mark and Derek were both there:-)

July 28, 2011, 21:38
I routinely get 1.5 to 2 MOA using pulled and unsized AP, loaded inn non-milsurp brass. For me, that's fine accuracy. 230 grains of surplus WC867 gives me 2700 fps from a Barrett M99 with 32" barrel.

I get at least 10 reloads per case, and have had no case separations yet. I just take it easy on the full length sizing, just unscrew the die a tad from contact with the shell holder so as not to set back the shoulder.

Works in a single-loader, may not be functional in a semi-auto.

Cost per reload is about $0.85 per round.

PS... Glad I found this new forum!