PDA

View Full Version : .50BMG bullet stability rumor?

jaykden
July 15, 2011, 15:26
i have had quite a few people explain to me that its no goood sighting in a .50 BMG at 100 yards because the bullet hasn't stabalized yet, causing larger than normal groups.

most say to sight in at 200 -300 yards as its out of the wobble by then.

as far as im concerned, this is utter crap, i have had some 750 solid bronze match loads shoot MOA or better... at 100 yards.

what does everyone else think about this?

TnHawk-45
July 15, 2011, 15:39
It is BS put out by folks who have never shot a 50 most of the time. The Barrett test tunnel is 100 yards long underground. Every weapon they make is tested in there for function and accuracy. I know this because I have shot a 50 in there! They were allowing folks to shoot the gun when they were celebrating the formal adoption of their semi auto as the M-107.

Some folks sight theirs in at 200 and beyond as their scope and/or base lacks the elevation to shoot at 1,000 otherwise.

yarro
August 10, 2011, 00:02
Wobble or no wobble, groups only get larger with distance. If your bullet is wobbling at 100 yards then you have crappy ammo, bad barrel/crown/chamber, or the wrong twist for the bullet weight. I sighted mine in at 50 yards then moved out to 100 then to 300. Groups were very small at 50 yards (ie one big hole) once I calmed down and concentrated on doing everything right. I don't expect that I have enough elevation in my scope to shoot out to 1000 since my mount is not a 20MOA slope, but I don't have anywhere to shoot that far.

-yarro

gates
August 18, 2011, 21:19
uh.. no - sighted a Maddi in at 100 and Barley Pop hit a 3 ft tall hand held fire extinguisher at 600+ yards at one of our Fal shoots many years ago - first shot hit. Gun Plumber watched it happen.

t42beal13t
August 22, 2011, 13:01
I'm pretty sure Boston's Gun Bible mentions bullet stabilization issues from a 50 BMG.

gunplumber
August 22, 2011, 16:50
Originally posted by gates
uh.. no - sighted a Maddi in at 100 and Barley Pop hit a 3 ft tall hand held fire extinguisher at 600+ yards at one of our Fal shoots many years ago - first shot hit. Gun Plumber watched it happen.

The Flag shoot? I may even have it on video . .. .

gates
August 23, 2011, 20:07
No - the one out on Watson road on I 10 to L.A. before they friggen built all the damn homes! - LOTSA fun:-) though Flag was fun too - shooting .50 API at night is all fun and games until you start a fire:-)

Did you ever get that 1919 to run?

Jesus Mark when did we do that 10-12 years ago? you and "D" were still talking back then... fuk time flies.

gunplumber
August 24, 2011, 10:01
yeah - Jackrabbit trail closed before I moved to the new shop and that was around 2001. Watson closed shortly after that.

the 1919 ran fine eventually. I don't even remember what was wrong with it, but it would fire twice and stop. Got rid of it when ammo went to $1/rd and bought a pair of PKMs. Much cheaper and more fun to shoot.

Now the problem with having a .50 is finding a place to shoot it. I've got both a windrunner and a browning M2 here looking for a place to shoot.

J308
August 25, 2011, 07:24
The few times we've lit off my neighbor's AR50 have all been at short range, 100yd or less, and they've gone pre-zakly where they were aimed. And the holes made were half-inch circles, not great big keyholes....

gates
August 25, 2011, 23:58
These guns do NOT key hole pre subsonic unless there is something REALLY REALLY wrong - same principal, same physics as any other caliber - what you MAY be thinking of is an M2 its a AREA weapon - not a precision weapon but it still would not key hole if everything was within spec - the guns WE are talking about are not AREA weapons - I get M.O.A. out of my Maddi at 100 - but they SAY the bullet does not stabilize until past 200 - that has not been my experience out of my Maddi- (have not broken in the 82 yet but have shot them - same experience).