PDA

View Full Version : Sighting in the 50

Correlia
July 13, 2011, 15:12
After a long wait I am actually about to take the 50 out to lose its safe queen status. Going to Whittington at the end of the month (waiting on a response from them on times as an fyi Blaster)

At what distance do you all sight in at? It seems a shame to set it 100 yards only. I am not familiar with the ballistics of the various bullet options to have a good starting point.

Scope is a 5.5x-22.

Thank you!

L Haney
July 14, 2011, 17:17
Guess it would depend on your projected use and places to shoot. That round has serious legs but I'd wager the vast majority of civilian owned ones are shot at 200 yds and less. If you want to stretch it out, you'll have to develop some new skills that will exact some study and effort on your part. Still, big fun anyway. Never shot a hand held one myself, but Uncle Sam used to let me shoot his a lot. Those were mounted on vehicles with tracks, and the sights on the gun weren't used much.

Lowell

Blaster
July 14, 2011, 19:26
Haney is correct IMHO, in that the 200 yard is probably one of the more common ranges for the .50BMG in our general area. Some shooters do try and hit boulders (big rocks on a mountain side) way over a mile away. It's a hit or miss thing at that great range.:biggrin:

EBRfan
July 15, 2011, 15:01
I sighted in my M99 at 200yds. With a canted base or rings, it might be hard to do less depending on your scope's internal travel.

TnHawk-45
July 15, 2011, 15:45
I sighted mine at 100, but I also have a 20+ base on mine so the scope can go easily to 1,000 and beyond. Most folks run out of elevation on their scopes before they hit 1,000 yards.

I would sight yours in at 100 until I found out the max elevation your scope can go with the base that is on your rifle. Also figure the max range you will 'normally' shooting at.

Correlia
July 15, 2011, 15:58
Thank you for the advice gentlemen.

The scope has 100 MOA of elevation, the mount has 27 MOA of elevation.

Now that I put the speeds and feeds out there I wholly admit I have NO CLUE what that actually buys me in regard to putting the two together for how far the scope can travel.

(Certainly farther than I can reasonably hit the target consistently I suspect)

K. Funk
July 15, 2011, 20:15
I sighted my Anzio in at 100yds at the local range (Boy they loved that!!). Where I shoot is about 550-600 yds. I hold over with mil dots at that range and she does pretty good. Now that I changed my scope out, I have to start all over.

krf