PDA

View Full Version : This is 10 years behind the times....

gates
July 13, 2011, 00:21
Go spend a month over on BIGGER HAMMER reading a decades worth of posts and the we can get somewhere... I did the Maddi Griffen thing before Stewart got busted for the SECOND time - great shell holder gun had a lot of fun with it, it sits unused now- my 82A1 (obama purchase) is the current go to.:-) I reload for this gun so if there are any q's.

MK ULTRA
July 14, 2011, 08:32
Years ago I spent alot of time on biggerhammer. Ended up buying a barrett 99 used from a guy in oregon. He says he has no place to shoot it.

I've shot about 100 rounds through it. All at 100 yards. This reminds me that I need to go shoot it again soon.

I still go to bigger hammer from time to time. I got into FAL's and have been here for over 10 years. Since the old blue screen forum.

JohnnyReb
July 29, 2011, 23:14
Better late than never.

Take a break from the econ forum gates, the whole shitbags going up in flames anyway!

one hand clapping
July 30, 2011, 09:05
Hi guys,
this is a great addition to the files. better late than never.
I had my Madi G out last weekend . took it to my out of town neighbors [ they are from fla and come to their 300 acre mt house for a few weeks every summer and are very firearms friendly]
They have a 400 m range up on a flat ridge that has a nice rise at the end. I love the look on folks faces after pulling the trigger for the first time on a 50 bmg.
The guys hooked now, I hope he gets a barrett.

I would like to get a mag fed. not sure bout semi or bolt, any advice from the experts as to whats the best way to go ---

I figure I might be able to spend bout $4000.[ used is fine by me ]

Thanks.
OH and what press are you guys using to reload?? the RCBS?

OHC

sportsnut
July 30, 2011, 11:47
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MK ULTRA
[B]Years ago I spent alot of time on biggerhammer. Ended up buying a barrett 99 used from a guy in oregon. He says he has no place to shoot it.

You've got to be kidding me... No place to shoot it. Desert to the East and clear cut's to the West. :biggrin: :)

Blaster
July 30, 2011, 17:36
Originally posted by one hand clapping
[BOH and what press are you guys using to reload?? the RCBS?

OHC [/B]

Yes, I use the RCBS Ammomaster and RCBS .50BMG dies. They work fine for me.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/bobjan/50BMGreldg003jpg.jpg

jbrooks
July 30, 2011, 22:17
Originally posted by one hand clapping
...I would like to get a mag fed. not sure bout semi or bolt, any advice from the experts as to whats the best way to go ---
OH and what press are you guys using to reload?? the RCBS?

OHC
I like a bolt action, gives you more flexibility in handloading, IMO. I have the Barrett 99, but th 95 is a very nice mag fed bolt gun.

Frankly, from the standpoint of spped, I can load the 99 very quickly, just lay the rounds next to the rifle and toss them in. No need to "chamber" the round with your fingers, just lay the round in the open breech and slide the bolt home.

As fro reloading, I use the Lee Classic Cast 50 and it is very good. In another post I mention 230 grains of surplus ball powder gives 2700 fps from the 32" Barrett.

JWB

gates
July 31, 2011, 23:44
OHC - buy surplus for practice - I have done it both ways - you likely won't shoot enough to reload - regarding the gun - for that money get a Serbu and KICKASS glass! Nightforce.

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/SCOPES_OVERVIEW/3_5-15x50_F1/3_5-15x50_f1.html

Spend the balance on ammo.

my .02

L Haney
August 02, 2011, 10:31
Originally posted by gates
OHC - buy surplus for practice - I have done it both ways - you likely won't shoot enough to reload ...

You haven't met the girl, I can tell.

Lowell

jbrooks
August 02, 2011, 23:11
Won't reload?....

Why not? I'drather trust my reload than use milsurp or somebody else's reloads.

I can reload for 85 cents per shot. Reuse brass many times, the cost of brass becomes moot.

Besides, it's FUN to reload. Caressing those long hard cases is therapeutic... :)

JWB