PDA

View Full Version : SIG 556. Your thoughts?

VonFireball
July 06, 2011, 12:03
I've been eyeballing these things since I handled one a while back at Cabela's. I was thinking something that works as a open country SD gun, a varmint rifle, a bit cheaper to shoot than 7.62, and a little more lightweight would be the ticket for spending time hiking way back in the rhubarb. I might even toss a para lower up on the marketplace to fund this deal so I don't go broke doing it.

I read the "trigger" thread about ten times and scoured the SIG files reading posts and what not but I'd just like to know your thoughts and experiences with these weapons if you own or are a fan of them. Or if you hate them might as well post why too or if you like something better, etc.

Accuracy? Reliability? What mags and ammo are you preferring?

Been looking at the classic models mostly. I can get a Classic with diopter sights for around a grand out the door.

olgier
July 06, 2011, 12:56
accurate, but I didn't care for it. Sold it to a member here.

gunfanx3
July 06, 2011, 17:12
Mine has been very reliable and I enjoy it. It is the classic model and I have not experienced issues that have been discussed on the Sig site or here. I like it better than many of the other rifles that I have. My wife can fire it and not worry about the recoil. Mine is here to stay and I have even begun to look for another to keep it company. YMMV,

Robert

VonFireball
July 06, 2011, 20:52
accurate, but I didn't care for it. Sold it to a member here.

What didn't you like about it?

I was looking at the base model Ruger SR, but I'm not a real big AR fan. I'm a couple weeks out from jumping on something in this vein, just want to make sure it's the right gun.

Tempted to start a "favorite .223 autoloader" in the general discussion to get a bit more feedback on what guns to look at.

Stranger
July 06, 2011, 20:59
The SIG55X rifles are excellent, high-quality rifles, and a modernized adaptation of the Kalashnikov action. The US SIG556 is a commercial adaptation of the SIG55X series of rifles. There have been a number of improvements over the SIG55X series.... and a number of things that could/should be corrected.

Some may say I am prejudiced because I have three. However, I beg to differ. My initial dip was one of the first 1K rifles produced. It had issues with accuracy that were quickly diagnosed as a loose sight rail. I corrected it myself and was happy. I bought another SIG556 and have been very happy. I have put 5K rounds through my first SIG556 and 2K down my "DMR" SIG556. They run like clockwork. Never have I had a stoppage (literally!). Even using crappy ammo that makes ARs choke I haven't had a stoppage.

I can not say that about my AKs or my FALs.

The biggest detractors of the SIG556 are the "They Aren't Original Sig 55X Rifles" crowd.

Don't get me wrong. The SIG556 will never be a Sig 55X series rifle. However, that is because no one but a pacifist, Euro government is willing to shell out the cash for a weapon made with that precision. They just wanted to price it out of production.

However, the SIG556 series of weapons are excellent with the same qualities, with a few added features, of their military cousins.

Timber Wolf
July 07, 2011, 13:15
Saw one at the range and the fellow who owned it was pretty happy with it. He reported no problems. I don't know anything about it beyond that but I am happy enough with my AR-15s, SAR-2:uhoh:, Century Galil clone:uhoh:, Sterling AR-180, and an old 180 series Mini-14:uhoh: that I will not be buying one. What's that you say? Did you read that correctly? Did I really write that I was happy with a SAR-2 (actually I have two), Century Galil, a Sterling AR-180, AND a Mini-14? Don't I know (like everybody else) that these guns are crap? Well, I am the same guy that ran 300 rounds of steel cased Wolf through a home-assembled mix-master AR at a Carbine class without any trouble what so ever. Conventional (internet) wisdom tells us that shooting Wolf will cause impotence and will screw up your gun and you can not possbily finish a Carbine class without major catastrophic problems from a home built AR.

PARA FN FAL
July 07, 2011, 15:21
I have an early 556. It runs perfectly and eats Wolf ammo all day long. My buddy has the 556 SWAT model with the same results. Great guns at a cheaper price than ACR ,416 or SCAR.

olgier
July 07, 2011, 15:37
Originally posted by VonFireball

What didn't you like about it?

I was looking at the base model Ruger SR, but I'm not a real big AR fan. I'm a couple weeks out from jumping on something in this vein, just want to make sure it's the right gun.

Tempted to start a "favorite .223 autoloader" in the general discussion to get a bit more feedback on what guns to look at.

Well, it got sent back for a BHO issue, but that wasn't to much of an ordeal. I hated the handguards and found them to be flimsy, I replaced the take down pin, added sampson sights, and still just didn't care for it. It would shoot, but it just didn't fit me. I didn't enjoy shooting it.

mashed68
July 07, 2011, 18:12
They have numerous issues that would make me consider lots of other things before buying one.

JohnnyReb
July 07, 2011, 18:26
I had one.

It ran great but too heavy and and ammo sensitive (accuracy wise).

The SCAR 16 is much better.

bonnie
July 09, 2011, 10:11
Had the Classic with diopter sights a couple of years ago.
Sent it back to SIG for: bolt carrier peening on the left front corner, Swiss made handguards almost falling out loose, Classic stock flopped all around.

They removed some metal from the bolt carrier. Didin't stop the peening damage so I fixed it myself.
They said the loose handguards and folding, collapsible stock were within their factory specifications.

Installed a set of SIG/USA handguards and these fit tight and proper.
Installed a folding PE90 Swiss buttstock from Colorado Gun sales that had excellent, tight lockup.

A little front end heavy. Ammo sensitive for accuracy but was always reliable Safety a little to far away for quick manipulation. Liked the trigger. Liked that it took M16 magazines. Sights were okay.

Diassapointed with SIG/USA and their poor quality control.

Ended up with to much money in it trying to make it right, sold it.

moses
July 09, 2011, 16:27
I have one of the green Commando versions that sports south had exclusively, it came with the real Swiss handguards and a US folding stock.

It is 100% never had any kind of failure....... NEVER!!!!!!!

Like others have said it is ammo sensitive but is accurate with the load I worked up for it.

I liked it so much I bought a Classic when they dropped the prices by $500 on them.

I wish they would have just made a 55X series rifle but I still like them and would recommend getting one.

I think they feel great and the recoil is noticeably less than an AR15's recoil.
Not that either has much recoil anyway, but follow up shots are so easy to do with the 556!!!!

For under $1000 I think the 556 is a no brainer!!!

I want a SCAR too!

Oh and also you might want to look into a Daewoo as they migt be the best 223 battle rifle ever made!!!! but I guess that's another thread.

2Adefender
July 10, 2011, 19:27
I also have one of the green Commandos, and a 556 pistol. My experience has been like moses'. Never a malfunction with either of my 556's. They are lots of fun to shoot, and maintenance/cleaning is a breeze.

I agree accuracy varies with different kinds of ammo, but isn't that true with a lot of rifles?

Bawana jim
July 12, 2011, 14:23
I had a 556 for a while and got rid of it because it was way too front heavy. The gun felt out of balance and I shot low when addressing the targets from standing position. Gun ran great and from the bench and shot straight but it didn't handle well for me.

jim

gunnut1
July 14, 2011, 06:16
Mine had a lot of side to side movement between the upper and lower receivers. It was not very accurate. It patterned instead of grouped. It would not feed Wolf ammo. Sig tightened the flash hider so tightly they ovaled the crush washer. The stock folds to the right instead of the left rendering the rifle useless with the stock folded, the charging handle is upside down. The factory hand guard is ugly and heavy. Mine would move laterally about a 1/4 if an inch front to rear and so did the 551 stock and the Sig quad rail I put on it. You have to hold your mouth just right to get the gas tube and piston in correctly.

Other than that, it is a pretty good rifle. I sold mine. I tried to love it but I just could not.

The AR15 is a much better platform.

EBRfan
July 15, 2011, 14:23
I have two, one of which is the pistol for which I just mailed off my form 1s. :devil:

The rifle is accurate and the trigger is quite good. Eats everything I have put in it, but that is only 4-5 different ammo brands/bullet weights and all was brass-cased. With a Leupold 1.5-5x on top, it is very handy. Mine is one of the earlier ones with the AR-tube stock and fish gill handguards. Agree that they are too heavy, and I replaced them with a lighter set of swiss handguards. OEM butt stock was replaced with a magpul CTR which is a big improvement. Stupid front receiver screw replaced with a KNS push pin. Looks like this:

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu157/jmorin2/Firearms/Sig556026.jpg

The 556 received knocks for the canted picatinny rails and the bolt carrier machining issue. I don't dispute that these were issues. Mine didn't have them. My advice is to buy the most recent one you can, as the problems seem to have subsided (my perception only).

The only thing I am really annoyed about is how much they dropped the price since I bought mine. At today's price they are a frickin' steal.

K.O.A.M.
July 17, 2011, 09:16
I had one of the early ones that worked fine. I'm having another one built into a 551 clone now. If I were Sig, I'd put on a solid BUIS and not have twelve variations of the same rifle.

Insider
July 20, 2011, 00:54
I've got an early gill guard 556, it's a good rifle except for no rear sight, and I wish the charging handle was on the left side. I'm seriously thinking about trading it for a HK-93. The HK has better ergonomics and the left side charging handle.

JohnnyReb
July 21, 2011, 09:09
Originally posted by Insider
I've got an early gill guard 556, it's a good rifle except for no rear sight, and I wish the charging handle was on the left side. I'm seriously thinking about trading it for a HK-93. The HK has better ergonomics and the left side charging handle.

You should try out the Scar 16, you can put the charging handle on either side.

Originally posted by moses
Oh and also you might want to look into a Daewoo as they migt be the best 223 battle rifle ever made!!!! but I guess that's another thread.

I found one! Woo hoo! :D

Insider
July 29, 2011, 00:10
Originally posted by JohnnyReb

You should try out the Scar 16, you can put the charging handle on either side.

I found one! Woo hoo! :D
I've looked at the SCAR, I'm considering that, but I can get a Vector HK clone for under $1500.

LVMPDawg
July 29, 2011, 14:41
Has anyone seen this? Price is right for what appears to be an original pattern rifle:

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-551-a1-.223-rifle.html

P.S. I had a 556 Commando once. Meh.

sigboy66
July 29, 2011, 15:10
To bulkey, overly heavy for a carbine, way too much money to pay for a gun that shoots ak sized groups. Sold it, do not regret it.

chrsdwns
July 31, 2011, 01:56
The 556 is a very nice gun and a $1000 price point it's a great value for money, especially since a quality AK in 5.56 goes for about that these days and the Sig 556 totally out classes the 5.56 AK in every way.

There were some minor, random quality control issues on start up and during the gun buying frenzy of a few years ago but it seems Sig has tightened up on QC since then.

Most manufacterers had some QC issues at the because they were trying to pump out as many guns as they could to meet the surge in demand, so sig was not the only one at the time.

In my experience, the Sig 556 is capable of good accuracy but is more picky about ammo than most other 5.56 guns. It is stone cold reliable and I have never had a failure to fire.

Sig just came out with a Swiss 551 knock off that uses the Swiss polymer mags, grey painted metal and the Swiss folding stock. They go for about $1500 with the Sig 540 knock off iron sights which is a pretty good deal.

However, the SCAR 16s is the best 5.56 option going so it's really hard to beat the SCAR when the money gets close., At $1000 for the 556 and $2200 for the SCAR I would probably go for the 556. If the Sig were in the $1600 range I'd come up with the extra change for the SCAR.

The SCAR has a more reliable integral receiver rail for sights and optics. I really do not like the screw on top rail on the 556 on general principals although I have never had a problem with one.

We get military guys out at the range for work an we will often bring toys for when things are slow.

Usually bring out a couple of Sig 556s, a Sig 556 pistol/SBR, an FNC, a Valmet M-76, an old retro first generation Colt SP1, a Galil, a Daewoo , FALs in 5.56 and 7.62, and a Steyr AUG.

FWIW the Sig 556 always seems to come out at or near the top in popularity and everyone seems to be impressed with them, especially the with the Sig 556P SBR or the collapsable stock 556 version with a Magpul ACS stock and original Swiss 551 hand guards. This is a really great set up for the 556 - well balanced, light and comfortable to shoot.

GySgt D
August 04, 2011, 18:53
I have an early fishgill model, which fortunately hasn't suffered from any of the common ailments associated with these: canted rail, peening, and erectile dysfunction.

The Sig diopter sights were a total waste of $270, though. Mine were defective, and even when I fixed that problem, I'm still stuck with a crappily designed set of iron sights that I will never use. Buyers remorse, big time.

After replacing the cheezy furniture with Magpul and Swiss products, replacing the charging handle and takedown pin, it is now one of my favorite rifles. Have never had a malfunction. 100% reliable.

Can't really comment on accuracy, as I've only shot it with 1x optics. It doesn't seem to be as accurate as my AR.

As far as being "front heavy", it isn't any more front heavy than a typical AR with a bunch of stuff hanging off the handguard. Particularly if you shoot mostly with a sound suppressor-- all my rifles then seem "front heavy", except for the AUG.

I really like this combo--
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c256/arfcompics/Sig556.jpg

The soft recoil impulse (as compared to an AR), along with the gigantic FOV on the Trijicon Reflex, makes this thing one of my favorite choices for <100 meters.

The adjustable gas plug makes it easy to find your brass (and makes it seem considerably quieter with a suppressor)--
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c256/arfcompics/003-5.jpg

In this pic, I added a grenade/single shot position on the regulator by simply turning it 180 degrees and putting a divot on the flange for the plunger to grab hold of.

Rudolf
August 05, 2011, 00:48
the ak version is scary accurate.

crcksht
August 06, 2011, 10:39
My buddy has a new Sig 556 with the folding stock. I posted a while back about the suck-ass trigger on his Sig and got verbally assaulted by the Sig fans on here. You'd think I had insulted their wives.

The trigger on the Sig 556 I tested sucks ass, period. My friend was using Federal 77 gr. match ammo and the accuracy was inferior to both of my ARs(16" Colt barrel, and 20" FN barrel) when using M193 ball.

In my opinion, Sig 556 is over-priced and vastly over-rated.

The folding stock mechanism is cheesy. The little tab the stock is supposed to lock into when the stock is folded pulls out of the receiver when attempting to unfold the stock.

Save your money. Buy an AR15, and get a case of ammo for the price of the Sig alone.

Stranger
August 06, 2011, 19:44
Originally posted by crcksht
My buddy has a new Sig 556 with the folding stock. I posted a while back about the suck-ass trigger on his Sig and got verbally assaulted by the Sig fans on here. You'd think I had insulted their wives.

The trigger on the Sig 556 I tested sucks ass, period. My friend was using Federal 77 gr. match ammo and the accuracy was inferior to both of my ARs(16" Colt barrel, and 20" FN barrel) when using M193 ball.

In my opinion, Sig 556 is over-priced and vastly over-rated.

The folding stock mechanism is cheesy. The little tab the stock is supposed to lock into when the stock is folded pulls out of the receiver when attempting to unfold the stock.

Save your money. Buy an AR15, and get a case of ammo for the price of the Sig alone.

As your nom de plume meaning suggests you are a crock of shit. That is why you were chastised.

As was mentioned you are the ONLY ONE who has ever claimed that the Sig556 trigger was crap. Even 556 haters like gunnut1 have said the trigger was the only redeeming quality about the rifle.

You are just plainly full of shit, so go and **** yourself.

crcksht
August 07, 2011, 09:30
I didn't say all Sigs have suck-ass triggers, just the one that my friend owns. I started that earlier post an an attempt to ask for help in figuring out whether my friend could make an adjustment to improve the trigger, or perhaps conclude that he got a lemon. Accuracy was also relatively poor considering the expense of the rifle.

I'm fully willing to change my opinion if I ever get the chance to try another Sig 556.

Stranger, I apologize for offending your poor little over-priced Sig. I could outshoot your Sig with either of my AR15s any day of the week. Come down to Tennessee. If you think you can hang, you are welcome to be my guest at the best range in the south. Added this to avoid any misunderstandings. That was a friendly challenge to a shooting contest and nothing more. Loser buys the winner a steak dinner at the Outback. Your insults are meaningless to me.

I re-read the earlier thread I started and found the advice posted by moses near the end of it. I will relay that info to my friend. Thanks moses.

OdinGA
August 16, 2011, 18:23
I was at the range the other day and my 556 Swat had no trouble putting 55 gr wolf ammo into a 16 inch circle with the stock SIG Diopter iron sights at 565 yds. So far my SIG has been reliable and very accurate even with the cheapest of ammo.

jarhead85
September 11, 2011, 13:15
Ilike my SIG. Was planning on selling but now that I have shot it a bit more it is a keeper, of course if someone came along and offered me a bunch more for it then you never know.

Here is a pic. of her.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m297/lariatdrvr/sig5561-1.jpg

Rooster Cogburn
September 11, 2011, 23:38
I haven't shot mine as much as I should (been shooing the FAL) but so far the only bad news is I am having a hard time adjusting to the charging handle on the right side. Oh and it shoots 5.56 marmot hunting ammo...

The good news is on reliability and durability. I think the gas/piston operated design is far more reliable than a standard AR internal gas system. I got mine on a trade that was an excellant deal, so I didn't compare/contrast like I normally would before buying. If I were you I'd look closely at the Ruger SR-556, the SCAR and anything else piston operated.

Offctr
September 13, 2011, 17:07
Just out of curiosity how much was Cabelas asking for one -- have seen them just under 1K on GB but most places are about 1200 or so. I would guess Cabelas wants 1800 or so. Gander would want 2200 plus tax, transfer, destination and dealer prep charges.

JohnnyReb
September 14, 2011, 22:00
Originally posted by Insider

I've looked at the SCAR, I'm considering that, but I can get a Vector HK clone for under $1500.

Yeah, and you can probably get 3 C-93's too.

Elwarpo
October 05, 2011, 19:53
Originally posted by Offctr
Just out of curiosity how much was Cabelas asking for one -- have seen them just under 1K on GB but most places are about 1200 or so. I would guess Cabelas wants 1800 or so. Gander would want 2200 plus tax, transfer, destination and dealer prep charges.

1099 or 1199 (I forget as I looked at a few guns) at the Dundee MI Cabelas, I was there last week and killing time while the wife was shopping.

JayB
October 06, 2011, 00:02
I wanted to like a 556. In fact I had planned on just buying one whenever they became available. One of the guns that had a lasting impression on me was a Sig AMT I had seen at a gun show when I was a kid. But I was really disappointed in the 556 when I saw it for the first time. Cheap furniture, finish didn't seem that great, heavy in the front, etc... Although I don't think they are a bad rifle, I just don't think they are that good either. Don't misunderstand me, I am not trying to run down anyone's rifle, as I have almost bought one on several occasions. I thought I would try to dress it up a little with the original Swiss furniture. I just could never bring myself to shell out the cash for one. Not to mention the more you search the more you see such mixed reviews about them. I had always thought that Sig built some of the best firearms, after the 556 it makes thinks they were just banking on the name. For the money I would rather have a Daniel Defense, Daewoo, DSA...

GM4spd
November 01, 2011, 10:29
These things are good to go despite what you hear---solid, will shoot any
223 ammo made with no failures,not a tack driver but for serious social work
hard to beat. Uses all AR15 mags of which there about a BILLION out there.
Ambi safety,quick release Swiss pins for upper/lower seperation, really
cool if you spring for Swiss LOPROFILE sights with tritium. Pete

http://www.fototime.com/D7379B93A0F7441/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/9E826BEE8D258A6/standard.jpg

dakdak
November 02, 2011, 12:02
GM4spd...

Where did you buy the "Swiss LOPROFILE sights with tritium" ?

L Haney
November 03, 2011, 12:12
Shot one yesterday, had handled it a bit the week before. I was impressed with everything but the irons that came on it. Supplemented by a red dot yesterday, so not an issue. Thing is well made and well thought out. This is a slightly older one, plain collapsible stock, non folder. Hit what I aimed at, no bobbles in function, ergonomics are not noticeable which in my view is ideal. I like the gas system, and the design of the bolt and carrier. My $.02

Lowell

ftierson
November 11, 2011, 05:18
I have one of the SIG556 Classic SWAT (long gas system with long railed forend) guns. I would have preferred the standard 551 type handguards and may eventually get a set but, for now, I'm just shooting the rifle with the rail covers. That makes for a fat and slightly uncomfortable feel in the hand (and I have big hands), but still usable.

The rifle is quite muzzle heavy compared to most other 556 guns out there, but I don't find that all bad...

The rifle came with a standard A2 type flash suppressor, which I changed to a standard A1 FS.

The classic SWAT comes with the collapsable folding stock which, except for being somewhat flimsy and wobbly, I like...

All in all, the rifle feels solid in the hands, moves reasonably well given it's muzzle heaviness, and shoots quite well.

I'm pretty happy with it...

Forrest

GM4spd
November 15, 2011, 17:21
Originally posted by dakdak
GM4spd...

Where did you buy the "Swiss LOPROFILE sights with tritium" ?

Here

https://www.cogunsales.com/index.php/SIG-551-556-Parts-Accessories/SIG-550-Top-Rail-550-Diopter-Sight/Detailed-product-flyer.html

http://fototime.com/30355C0B0D07949/standard.jpg

dakdak
November 16, 2011, 14:23
GM4spd...

thanks...I found it

atp
December 09, 2011, 15:26
Originally posted by GySgt D
In this pic, I added a grenade/single shot position on the regulator by simply turning it 180 degrees and putting a divot on the flange for the plunger to grab hold of.
GySgt D, does increased back pressure from the suppressor seem change the behavior of the rifle in any way? Maybe it's basically like keeping the rifle on its "adverse" high-gas setting all the time? Would it be feasible to modify the factory two-position gas regulator to give it a "low gas" setting for suppressor use?

Mad Dog 7.62
December 12, 2011, 22:04
I had one, traded it off, but it seemed to be a fine rifle. I just picked up a 556 Patrol Rifle for just over $1K with shipping. Sig has at least listened to thier customers and continues to make improvements to the rifle. They now have Swiss folding stocks and come with the Diopter sights now. You used to have to shell out over $200 if I recall for the sights, and the rifles were $1500 or so. At $989 with the new Swiss folding stock and sights included, I think I will be happy with this rifle. Considering a Vortex SPARC for it....whaddya think?

atp
December 13, 2011, 07:15
Originally posted by Mad Dog 7.62
Considering a Vortex SPARC for it....whaddya think?
Reports online from those who have used the Sparc extensively (in training classes and such) are that its buttons are mis-designed, some sort of problem with inadvertently hitting them and turning the optic off. (Sorry I don't remember further details.) It's also unnecessarily bulky. Personally, I would just start with a cheap $80 Primary Arms MD-07 (https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Micro_Dot_With_Fixed_Base_p/md-07.htm) and then upgrade to an Aimpoint of some sort later on.

ohiomgman
December 15, 2011, 20:21
I took delivery of a 551A1 Sig Classic about two weeks ago. I found the fit and finish to be superb. Noting the 1x7 rate of twist barrel I loaded some SS109, green tip, Lake City ammo into the 30 rd., swiss style polymer mags and headed to the range. I proceded to zero the weapon's diopter sights, at 25 yds with the aid of a boresighting laser. Then I simply adjusted them to a good zero at 100 yds., live firing.

The trigger will need some adjusting as it is a bit heavy...a job for later.

Becoming accostomed to the rifle, my groups quickly shrank to about the size of a quarter.

Attaching a 4x32, ACOG scope and then zeroing it in produced groups around the size of a penny. At 100 yds. I do like that ACOG. I did not purchase this SIG to be a four-legged varmit or critter rifle. I have other "tools" for that.

I do not miss all of that... sproinging...sound, that you have with an M16, because of the location of the recoil spring.

All in all I am quite satisfied both with the manufacture and accuracy of the weapon.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm171/jdmechanic/My%20personal%20toys/IM004156.jpg

December 18, 2011, 02:28
i got to take a good look at a sig classic swat, now i want one, dammit. price was $1250 new. didn't seem heavy or front heavy, and the trigger was ok. i am not a big fan of the rails but can live with them. saw a nice sig pro 2340, must be getting bad case of siggitus....

Mad Dog 7.62
December 20, 2011, 13:13
Got in the 556 patrol rifle, have not been to the range yet but very happy with the fit and finish. This is a far cry from the rifles Sig first foisted on the public when they came out with the 556. Gone is the ugly butt and fish gill handguards, canted rail, and shelling out an extra $250 for sights.

This rifle has the Swiss type folder, looks good and works great. Nice Sig type handguards. They have reduced the upswept angle on the charging handle so you don't scrape you knuckles if you have an optic installed, but it still clears the folding stock. It came with Sig rotary rear sight and front sight which is nice, but the rotary rear is kind of tall if you plan to install a scope. So I was pleasantly surprised to find that it also has a folding flip up sight built into the rail, like the very first 556's did. I think its a nice feature, its a very rudimentary sight but will serve well as a backup while allowing an optic to be mounted.

Overall I am very happy with this rifle!! In fact I liked it so well I ordered a 522 Commando just to play with. :D

Now if Sig would just start shipping them with Swiss style sights....

2Adefender
December 25, 2011, 16:07
Unfortunately, the real Swiss diopter sights cost $500-600, so SIG will never put them on a $1,000 rifle. The knock-off diopters the supply with the rifles now are not good quality. I had a set and sold them.

Mad Dog 7.62
December 26, 2011, 00:51
The Swiss sights cost that much in the US because there is only one supplier and they are extremely over priced on everything they sell. It would not cost Sig $500 per set to put them on the rifles.

jimmy_stikx
December 26, 2011, 17:52
I have had a 556 classic with the folder and swiss style handguards for a year now, absolutely enjoy shooting it.

JBev
December 30, 2011, 23:20
Colorado Gun Sales offers a great selection of Swiss Arms parts, including the new, combination Swiss Diopter Sight/Picatinny Rail assembly which screws to the top receiver of the SG 551s. You'll need the short front sight as well. For comparison on pricing, I just bought the Swiss Arms, one-piece folding buttstock for $160, CO Gun Sales is still asking over $300.

The popsicle BUIS everyone complains about is an emergency BUIS... I can still hold under 5 MOA groups with mine using mil-spec ammo.

With a Nikon M223 scope (2-8 X 32), a cold barrel, one fouling shot, and proper technique for the rifle, it produced 3/4" 3-shot groups using Gold Medal Match.

SIG Red Dot sight, averages 2-1/4" 5-shot groups across 6 types of ammo. It prefers 69 grain SMKs. Does fairly well with PMC X-Tac. The factory diopters are about the same 2-1/2 MOA as the red dot.

I own two Colt AR-15 SP1s, which I prefer over the newer AR-15s, and I prefer the SIG 556 over them all. It handles well, folds, it is a snap to clean, it is reliable, accurate, good looking, and sounds like a real gun against your cheek... which is where a gun is supposed to be, unless it's on full-auto...

Jimi X.
January 07, 2012, 11:20
I took delivery of a 551A1 Sig Classic about two weeks ago. I found the fit and finish to be superb. Noting the 1x7 rate of twist barrel I loaded some SS109, green tip, Lake City ammo into the 30 rd., swiss style polymer mags and headed to the range. I proceded to zero the weapon's diopter sights, at 25 yds with the aid of a boresighting laser. Then I simply adjusted them to a good zero at 100 yds., live firing.

The trigger will need some adjusting as it is a bit heavy...a job for later.

Becoming accostomed to the rifle, my groups quickly shrank to about the size of a quarter.

Attaching a 4x32, ACOG scope and then zeroing it in produced groups around the size of a penny. At 100 yds. I do like that ACOG. I did not purchase this SIG to be a four-legged varmit or critter rifle. I have other "tools" for that.

I do not miss all of that... sproinging...sound, that you have with an M16, because of the location of the recoil spring.

All in all I am quite satisfied both with the manufacture and accuracy of the weapon.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm171/jdmechanic/My%20personal%20toys/IM004156.jpg

Ohiomgman, my local dealer wanted a $400 premium, for the A1, over the standard model, and he had no extra mags for sale. How does this compare with your purchase?

pat701
January 13, 2012, 08:43
Love mine. I have 900 trouble free rounds thru mine mil-surp.

GySgt D
January 14, 2012, 01:48
GySgt D, does increased back pressure from the suppressor seem change the behavior of the rifle in any way? Maybe it's basically like keeping the rifle on its "adverse" high-gas setting all the time? Would it be feasible to modify the factory two-position gas regulator to give it a "low gas" setting for suppressor use?

It is such a rare occasion that I get to shoot the thing that I don't recollect any difference in recoil or function.

I obtained some really tiny drill bits for the purpose of further modding the gas regulator to do just what you mentioned.

Have begun to only shoot the thing single-shot, anyway. A heckuva lot easier to locate my brass that way :). ....And it seems to be much quieter to the shooter as well.

FWIW, I'm leery of continuing to use this suppressor on my AUG clone. I really get the impression that it is beating the hell out of it. Except when I adjust its regulator to the grenade setting, of course. Am glad that these rifles have that option.

pat701
February 05, 2012, 14:35
I just put 1000 rounds thru mine. It was manufactured Sept. 2011. No problems or hiccups of any kind. I think MINE is a SHTF rifle. My 556 patrol has become my favorite rifle.

Insider
March 03, 2012, 04:56

I changed my mind about selling it after rapid firing (dumping) a mag of green tips, the 556 functioned flawlessly! The forward grip-pod made a big difference too, like handling a SAW. I also added an HK diopter rear sight from RTG, the Popsicle stick sight is useless.

ronpaulFAL
March 13, 2012, 09:20
All the downside of a 5.56 (plus the upsides) but none of the benefit of the AR platform's modularity. If buying a 5.56 I would look at a Daniel Defense, Bravo Company or Colt for a quality item that may be found new or slightly used for about $1100. I agree that there is no need to get an HK416 or SCAR 16.

I was thinking about getting a DDM4 V5 LW with a separate 6.8 SPC upper for deer (and fun) but I decided that I should go with a SA58. Have a Ruger M14 in case I need to shoot a poodle or other varmint. :rofl:

Elwarpo
March 18, 2012, 11:26
I have an older 556 (German made with thee minimum us made 922r parts) with a collapsible stock like an AR, and not a side folder. I have heard poor reviews of the US made side folding stock. Is there a mil surplus or mil quality side folding stock for my older 556?

Insider
March 29, 2012, 11:10
All the downside of a 5.56 (plus the upsides) but none of the benefit of the AR platform's modularity. If buying a 5.56 I would look at a Daniel Defense, Bravo Company or Colt for a quality item that may be found new or slightly used for about $1100. I agree that there is no need to get an HK416 or SCAR 16.

I was thinking about getting a DDM4 V5 LW with a separate 6.8 SPC upper for deer (and fun) but I decided that I should go with a SA58. Have a Ruger M14 in case I need to shoot a poodle or other varmint. :rofl:

With a SIG you don't have the downside of the AR platform-buffer tube, can't have side folding stock, not gas piston operated, dirt sensitive, aluminum upper, hot gas venting into upper, etc...a SIG is very modular, just different.