PDA

View Full Version : The 50 BMG Files

JohnnyReb
June 25, 2011, 13:30
Mods,

How about a 50 BMG Forum. Even Arfcom has one ...

Just sayin ..

Mason
June 25, 2011, 17:22
I think a 'precision long range' forum would be better. All we got now is the bolt action forum and we gotta share it with Enfields and shit.

Blaster
June 25, 2011, 17:33
Originally posted by JohnnyReb
Mods,

How about a 50 BMG Forum. Even Arfcom has one ...

Just sayin ..

I'd sure like to see a .50BMG section too and limited strictly to that caliber.

JohnnyReb
June 25, 2011, 18:58
I've got a Steyr HS 50 on the way and lots of questions ...

Blaster
June 25, 2011, 20:01
I've got a Steyr HS 50 on the way and lots of questions ...

I've only got an inexpensive .50 BMG, an AMAC single shot with a Leupold Mark IV in 16X with Mil-dots. It is certainly not an expensive rifle but does just fine for my purposes. Once in a while when shooting (which is damn seldom) I start to think of recoil and a possible detached retina in my old, 74 year old eyes. Don't want to happen but the factory muzzle brake does a sufficient job for me - so far. I'm just an amateur at reloading the .50 BMG but if I am ever asked any questions I will sure try to give respectable answers or at least try to. I reload ONLY for plinking and fun type shooting.:)
You will really enjoy the shooting of that .50 when it finally arrives.

JohnnyReb
June 25, 2011, 20:56
Originally posted by Blaster

I've only got an inexpensive .50 BMG

I think I did pretty good on this one (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=237028822) . New for $2999, I think thats only $500 more than an AR-50.

Blaster
June 26, 2011, 14:31
That Steyr HS50 really resembles my AMAC in many ways. Anxious to hear how you like it.

Correlia
June 27, 2011, 06:43
+1 on the 50 forum. Not sure if there are enough members with one at the files to keep it busy though.

I would like to see what others are doing, like where they shoot (can't find a good spot that is long enough and close to home) or what range to sight in at, etc.

Blaster
June 27, 2011, 19:20
Originally posted by Correlia
+1 on the 50 forum. Not sure if there are enough members with one at the files to keep it busy though.

I would like to see what others are doing, like where they shoot (can't find a good spot that is long enough and close to home) or what range to sight in at, etc.

Don't know how close YOU have to be to a range that will allow the .50 BMG on their ranges but the Whittington NRA Center range down at Raton, NM has a 1,000 yard range and their sight in range (consisting of 25, 50, 75, 100 up to 200 yard spots) will accommodate the .50's. It may be a LONG drive for you but at least you don't have to constantly look over your shoulder to see if someone is about to run you out due to noise etc....

Correlia
June 27, 2011, 19:40

Don't know how close YOU have to be to a range that will allow the .50 BMG on their ranges but the Whittington NRA Center range down at Raton, NM has a 1,000 yard range and their sight in range (consisting of 25, 50, 75, 100 up to 200 yard spots) will accommodate the .50's. It may be a LONG drive for you but at least you don't have to constantly look over your shoulder to see if someone is about to run you out due to noise etc....

Thanks Blaster. The Springs is not too far for a long day of it...better to stay the night though.

There are apparently some very good spots inside the Hayman burn area (so I am told). The guy who is supposed to go with me (knows of a straight 1000+ yard valley to shoot in) keeps moving the date on me. I finally mounted a scope to mine and have been itching to get out.

Blaster
June 28, 2011, 10:24

I finally mounted a scope to mine and have been itching to get out.

OK Correlia, what scope on what rifle?? From all I have heard, you want a pretty good scope or the recoil will knock the hell out of the crosshairs.
Do you or are you going to reload the .50 BMG ammo??

Correlia
June 28, 2011, 11:28

OK Correlia, what scope on what rifle?? From all I have heard, you want a pretty good scope or the recoil will knock the hell out of the crosshairs.
Do you or are you going to reload the .50 BMG ammo??

Nightforce 5.5-22x56 NXS on a 82A1.

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/SCOPES_OVERVIEW/5_5-22x50___5_5-22x56/5_5-22x50_-_5_5-22x56.html

I haven't started reloading 50. I bought a ton of ammo from Denver Bullets:

http://www.denverbullets.com/ammunition.htm

Also got some from a gentlemen wearing a Christian Schooling Fanny pack at a gunshow a few months ago. My wife was impressed as she was a parochial teacher also. :)

K. Funk
June 28, 2011, 13:02
A .50 BMG forum would be cool. I think there are more here than you might think.

krf

Blaster
June 28, 2011, 18:01

Nightforce 5.5-22x56 NXS on a 82A1.
I haven't started reloading 50. I bought a ton of ammo from Denver Bullets

Also got some from a gentlemen wearing a Christian Schooling Fanny pack at a gunshow a few months ago. My wife was impressed as she was a parochial teacher also. :)

You really have an excellent scope.
I believe I may have been the guy wearing that particular fanny pack selling you some .50 BMG ammo. Although I am a Christian, I am NOT a teacher. I was merely wearing that fanny pack to hold my loot. I believe JerryMRC was helping me while you were buying that ammo (about 20 rounds if I remember correctly). If you do go to the upcoming Springs show next month, be sure to stop by my table again as I did enjoy visiting with you and your wife and giving you that super bargain.:smile:

Correlia
June 28, 2011, 19:45

You really have an excellent scope.
I believe I may have been the guy wearing that particular fanny pack selling you some .50 BMG ammo. Although I am a Christian, I am NOT a teacher. I was merely wearing that fanny pack to hold my loot. I believe JerryMRC was helping me while you were buying that ammo (about 20 rounds if I remember correctly). If you do go to the upcoming Springs show next month, be sure to stop by my table again as I did enjoy visiting with you and your wife and giving you that super bargain.:smile:

You are correct and will see you there...we enjoyed the conversation also. Seems you and JerryMRC are good guys.

I haven't had the chance to try the scope and am hoping it lives up to the hype. Certainly seems to be built like a tank.

FALonious
June 29, 2011, 14:54

I've only got an inexpensive .50 BMG, an AMAC single shot with a Leupold Mark IV in 16X with Mil-dots. It is certainly not an expensive rifle but does just fine for my purposes. Once in a while when shooting (which is damn seldom) I start to think of recoil and a possible detached retina in my old, 74 year old eyes. Don't want to happen but the factory muzzle brake does a sufficient job for me - so far. I'm just an amateur at reloading the .50 BMG but if I am ever asked any questions I will sure try to give respectable answers or at least try to. I reload ONLY for plinking and fun type shooting.:)
You will really enjoy the shooting of that .50 when it finally arrives.

Blaster,
I too own an AMAC but I would not call it inexpensive, at least to me $3000 to $3500 for just the rifle and another $1000 to $2000 for the scope is up there IMHO anyway. Granted not the $10,000 or so for a Barret 82A1 but thatís just nuts.
I would put my AMAC up against a 82A1 any day as long as we just fire once. :wink:
I have been told on more than one occasion that there were only 100 or our rifleís produced. Have you any info on that claim?
As for the .50 forum, I donít know why we havenít had one a long time ago.

Blaster
June 29, 2011, 15:42
Originally posted by FALonious

Blaster,
I too own an AMAC but I would not call it inexpensive, at least to me $3000 to $3500 for just the rifle and another $1000 to $2000 for the scope is up there IMHO anyway. Granted not the $10,000 or so for a Barret 82A1 but thatís just nuts.

I have been told on more than one occasion that there were only 100 or our rifleís produced. Have you any info on that claim?

Yeah, I should certainly NOT have said that the AMAC is inexpensive :redface:
To this old fart, $3000 to $4000 is still a hell of a lot of money for ANY firearm. It just always appears to me that the Barrett owners really "look down" on the less expensive AMAC, but maybe that's just the feeling that I get when at the range shooting this big ole thing. I have had absolutely no problems with mine and have never regretted buying it.
No, I have never heard of any particular number of these being manufactured but they still keep popping up every once in a while. The only really negative thing about these and any of the .50's, as far as I am concerned, is that anything associated with them is very expensive. We will probably soon encounter someone telling us that it is STUPID to own and shoot such an expensive monster and question us about what good use can these guns possibly be.
:beer:

W.E.G.
June 29, 2011, 15:49
So, is there somebody around here that has a member number lower than the national debt, and who doesn't wear Nomex for sport, who wants to moderate the forum?

Correlia
June 29, 2011, 18:54
Originally posted by W.E.G.
So, is there somebody around here that has a member number lower than the national debt, and who doesn't wear Nomex for sport, who wants to moderate the forum?

Looks like I am a fail on both counts. :cry:

Blaster- I most definitely look up to you. :wink:

Now there is at least one Barrett owner out there to work against your theory.

Blaster
June 29, 2011, 19:36

Looks like I am a fail on both counts. :cry:
Blaster- I most definitely look up to you. :wink:
Now there is at least one Barrett owner out there to work against your theory.

Yep, I too fail on all counts. I'm too old, too dumb, not enough experience or expertise and do NOT have the patience to handle such a really tough job. To moderate anything on the Files takes a person with an extremely "thick skin" and capable of taking a lot of guff. IMHO:D

JohnnyReb
June 30, 2011, 07:21

I would do it,

# in the first 20%

no nomex, even when I'm flying...

BUT

50 BMG newbe

have I "matured" enough since the DB closure?

Blaster
June 30, 2011, 07:35

have I "matured" enough since the DB closure?

Starting to sound as if we might just find out.

I don't believe there would be any (or at least not very many) clowns or trouble makers :devil: coming down to a .50BMG section. Hopefully, this would be one of the more serious sections of the Files.:)

I'd think that some easy to follow simple guidelines could possibly be set and if someone can't be mature enough to follow them, run them off the .50BMG site.

jaykden
June 30, 2011, 13:50
oh what the heck

i have a 50

i'd mod the forum...

JohnnyReb
June 30, 2011, 14:11
Originally posted by jaykden
oh what the heck

i have a 50

i'd mod the forum...

Thanks!

See, I have had at least two good ideas. The econ forum hasn't been shut down yet! :D

Back on topic:

My SS 16x scope and nightforce 20moa mount came in today, the steyr should be here tomorrow.

Blaster
June 30, 2011, 15:01
Originally posted by jaykden
oh what the heck

i have a 50

i'd mod the forum...

Hey, this could work out very well. We have a Moderator agreeing to moderate a new section.
:bow:
I'm about 50+ years too late now but sure wish I would have had access to the .50 BMG rifle that I currently have, when I was stationed in Fairbanks back in the late-1950's. I'd have had an excellent source for ALL of the .50 ammo that I could possibly have used. As usual, I'm a day late and a dollar short.:D

Correlia
July 01, 2011, 07:28
If any of you are interested in an informal day at Whittington for a 50 shoot, please chime in. I am not sure who else is close to Whittington but could be fun. I'd be willing to set it up.

(than you JohnnyReb for the Forum suggestion). Hopefully it is up soon.

Blaster
July 01, 2011, 08:28
If any of you are interested in an informal day at Whittington for a 50 shoot, please chime in. I am not sure who else is close to Whittington but could be fun. I'd be willing to set it up.

I "MIGHT" be interested in such an INFORMAL event just a long as it remains really informal however I am just a follower, not an organizer of such stuff. With my being such a lousy shot, I will only be a spectator when the shooting takes place on the 1,000 yard range as I have no interest in such long ranges and I'd be merely wasting my ammo at that range. The "sight in range" has, I believe, a 200 yard capability where the .50's can also be utilized to at least see what kind of groups can be obtained. So Correlia, Lets talk about this at the Sertoma Colorado Springs gun show on the 9th and 10th of July (that's a week from this coming weekend).

Blaster
July 04, 2011, 11:06
Well, looks like this thread took a nose dive/tail spin. :cry:

JohnnyReb
July 04, 2011, 20:25
Well, looks like this thread took a nose dive/tail spin. :cry:

Give it a little while. Everybody is just busy.

We're getting more action here than the whole Sig Files. Last post in that forum was June 4th! :tongue:

Correlia
July 06, 2011, 15:12
Any word on if the forum is going to go live? I am not certain what it takes but would like to see it get going.

Blaster
July 07, 2011, 08:28
Well, I am not ashamed to admit that I am NOT an expert on ANYthing and I'll have a lot of questions and concerns about the .50BMG even though I have had .50BMG's of a couple different brands for about 20 years and have reloaded .50's for that same amount of time. On most web sites, if there is a question having to do with the .50BMG subject, the person asking the question is almost always told to get their answers by joining the FCSA (Fifty Caliber Shooters Assn.) group. Sure, that is all well and good but the membership cost there is just a little steep for some of us older (more mature) guys living on retirement money. The FCSA is a great organization and has a huge number of experts and is welcoming new .50BMG shooters to their membership roles all the time.
If we ever get our own little .50BMG section going here, I believe I may begin to start thinking about selling off some of my vintage FCSA magazines (publications - paper/printed type mags). They do contain a wealth of great info, all pertaining to .50BMG stuff. Sure hope this site will materialize - and soon!:)

JohnnyReb
July 08, 2011, 19:12
Got some pics up here (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=313618) .

Correlia
July 08, 2011, 19:29
Got some pics up here (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=313618) .

Nice looking rifle and good to see you are raising a shooter. I can't wait until the first time I can take my daughter shooting though it is going to be several years.

JohnnyReb
July 08, 2011, 20:31

Nice looking rifle and good to see you are raising a shooter. I can't wait until the first time I can take my daughter shooting though it is going to be several years.

She is the 2nd of three daughters, and because they all favor their Mother in looks (and their Father in aptitude), they will all need to be/be EXPERT shooters!

aezcur
July 08, 2011, 23:52

AWESOME Weapon!!:beer:

Although I don't own a .50 BMG (yet) it is in my plans for the future....I still learning and doing my homework......I would love to see a .50 BMG Files dedicated section...as well as I would like to see more activity on the 'Bolt action' section as well ,...but this is the FAL Files Forum, ;)

LaConservationist
July 09, 2011, 07:26
Originally posted by aezcur

AWESOME Weapon!!:beer:

Although I don't own a .50 BMG (yet) it is in my plans for the future....I still learning and doing my homework......I would love to see a .50 BMG Files dedicated section... ;)

OH CRAP!! I am sure I will be needing to share GOBBLERS TENT with him very soon if YOU guys keep this up!!!!!!!

LaC

TnHawk-45
July 09, 2011, 14:28
There are more folks here that shoot 50's than most realize. I know of one 50 specific forum and it is getting little to no hits. Most of it is due to the fact that shooting it is so expensive. Right now it is $2.00 minimum with each pull of the trigger. While reloading cuts the cost in half, getting started doing it for the 50 is REAL expensive. Before Lee got into it, it cost about $1,000.00 for a quality single stage system with good dies like the C&H ones and a RCBS press.

One piece of advice is the to shoot and reload surplus AP bullets as they are the most accurate and consistant shot to shot. Unfortunately they are running from $.50-1.00 each now just for the bullet to load. Also figure 230 grains of powder for each round. As there is only 7000 grains per pound you can see what that is going to run. Primers are going for $1.00 each now and there is only Russian and CCI easily available.

Welcome to the world of 50 shooting! BTW the 'detached retina' crap is like the 'global warming' scare.

W.E.G.
July 09, 2011, 15:34
The FIFTY Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=168)

aardq
July 09, 2011, 18:56
Thanks for the 50 forum, and I don't own, or have any real interest in a 50. This should be both interesting and educational to all, especially we non 50 shooters.

Dan

L Haney
July 09, 2011, 18:59
Y'all done good. Congratulations.

Blaster
July 09, 2011, 19:53
Originally posted by TnHawk-45
[B Primers are going for $1.00 each now and there is only Russian and CCI easily available.

Welcome to the world of 50 shooting! BTW the 'detached retina' crap is like the 'global warming' scare. [/B]

I sure did NOT really mean to imply that shooting the .50BMG WILL cause a detached retina. I only said that because I (yours truly) am starting to think of a POSSIBLE detachment to my very well used 74 year OLD eye sight system.

If primers are costing someone a buck a piece, perhaps the web site of Grafs and Sons should be checked out. At 6:30PM today, their CCI #35's are listed at$173.99 for a carton of 500 which comes to around .35 cents each but the Haz Mat charge must be added if they are shipped. Perhaps some RWS or some of the IMI, if still available will be more expensive, if they can ever be located.
Please do NOT think that I consider myself an expert or "know it all", just wanted to make certain that any potential new .50BMG owners know the primers are just a little cheaper than a buck apiece. But, I could be very wrong here and I am certainly not getting on anyone's case about it! :)

Mint
July 09, 2011, 20:42
Hi all, just figured I'd chime in. I'm a former .50 owner, I had a State Arms Rebel single shot bolt action that I was very happy with. I eventually got bored with it because it shot so well so consistently, and like a fool, I sold it. I'll be retiring in six years, hopefully to at least a few dozen acres in Texas with a nice sized hill at one end, and I look forward to getting another .50 cal.
I would not hesitate in the slightest to get another State Arms gun. The Armalite looks nice as well, and I would give some thought to a Barret bolt gun. I got to fire a friend's 82A1, and I was less than impressed with the accuracy, so even without considering the price tag I would look elsewhere.

John.

aezcur
July 09, 2011, 21:44
The FIFTY Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=168)

THANSK!!
This Forum already tagged in my "USER CP"!:wink:

IanMor
July 09, 2011, 22:58

I'll do it. And I will be here a lot. I own an Armalite AR 50. I love that boom stick!

July 10, 2011, 16:10
I got lucky(or smart) years ago and bought the third or fourth gun that Mike Remo(Anzioarms.com) built. It was his version of the old Maadi-Griffin rear loader but done a lot better.
Anyhow I ended up with a gun that weighs about 50 pounds(and a second receiver tube) at a cost ofabout two grand.
Years later I ended up with about 8K rounds of ammo. Every country and every projectile type - ball, AP, API, APT, APIT, I, spotter - everything except Raufauss(I got some of that later when we were testing it on an armor product).
Now it looks like I'm fixing to score a complete unused RCBS .50cal reloading kit with dies from a friend(at no cost). I ain't no more excuses for not taking it to the range more often.
One last, this past winter with nothing else to do I got a friend to help me build an adapter that lets me mount the gun on a Russian Goryonov MG wheeled mount, heh, heh, heh. Sucker looks like a miniature anti-tank gun.

So yeah, a fifty forum here will be fun.

EBRfan
July 15, 2011, 15:17
Glad to see the new subforum, and look forward to frequent visits.

Barrett M99 here, but I don't "look down" on those with other .50 BMG brands either....not too smart to be condescending to someone with a big ass gun!

Blaster
July 18, 2011, 18:48
Originally posted by EBRfan
arrett M99 here, but I don't "look down" on those with other .50 BMG brands either....not too smart to be condescending to someone with a big ass gun!
:bow:

riffraff2
July 18, 2011, 20:26
keep in mind folks that by some in the non Barrett owning crowd that the Barrett's are known as "trailor trash guns". I am not a believer in that but that has been what has been thought by some of the hoity toity bench rest 50 shooter crowd in times past.

shortround
July 18, 2011, 21:43
Barrett M-90 and a CWA semi M3HB here. Been reloading for the fifty for 19 years now. I'll have to get some pictures up.

gates
July 18, 2011, 21:52
well - last time I checked the Windrunner was THE precision gun and the 82A1 was the SHTF gun - granted - it's been a few years, quite a few, since I have graced the "Bigger Hammer" - that being said I have an 82 in MY safe:-)