PDA

View Full Version : What to do...Hmmm

hangfire762
June 17, 2011, 15:11
Hello everyone. I hope everybody has been doing well the last few months. I just returned from a 7 month deployment to Afghanistan. So have been silent for a bit (Yeah I know, didn't miss me...lol) When I left I had to put a FAL build project on the back burner....now it's time to heat it up again. As I type this I'm looking at 3 lowers I have. one is an Izzy, one is a Belgian....and the other is completely covered in baby poo leaving no doubt to where it came from. So as I sit sipping on a cold brew and looking at these lowers I'm trying to decide what to build. Should I go Izzy (don't have one yet), should I go Rhodie (have one but man hard to resist) or should I just start building and see what I come up with? Unfortunately my upper is a type III. But that's ok...I'll love the new child anyway. So fellow FALers, tell me what you think. Give me your 2 cents worth on this fantastic Friday.

VRP72
June 17, 2011, 15:26
Welcome home HangFire! First off thanks a million for your service and sacrifice! Glad you're home safe!

My 2 cents worth is go with the Rhodie, there is just something about that baby poo that is cool!:shades:

Ray
VRP72

tdb59
June 17, 2011, 15:40
My type 3 will be, how do I say, 'built creatively'. I like the resto look, too, I just want to make one that is very individualized. Old hot rodder habits and all.

I am glad you are home.

Hammer63
June 17, 2011, 15:44
Yes, Welcome home and thank you.
Well since your upper is a type three and you already seem to have an interest in the rhodie I say thats first, then the Belgium, then maybe the Izzy.
My 2c.

hangfire762
June 17, 2011, 17:50
Yeah that Rhodie is kinda calling me. The Rhodie lower looks to be S.A.. The one thing I don't like is the long butt stock.....I've got short arms. I should probably try to find a short one covered in baby poo. I may have to give Sarco a shout and see if they have anything.

VRP72
June 17, 2011, 18:15
Originally posted by hangfire762
Yeah that Rhodie is kinda calling me. The Rhodie lower looks to be S.A.. The one thing I don't like is the long butt stock.....I've got short arms. I should probably try to find a short one covered in baby poo. I may have to give Sarco a shout and see if they have anything.

How about a Para Rhodie?:fal:

hangfire762
June 17, 2011, 18:54
Ooooo......I saw a couple pics of a camo'd up para in an old S.A. military book I had. It was pretty sweet looking. That's going on the project list. I'l start putting this project together tomorrow and post some pics.

FAL freek
June 17, 2011, 19:03
Solving the dilemma is real simple, build all three. Had that same issue so did the logical thing and bought a couple more receivers. If you wanted to build with the correct receiver you could always want to post a want to trade in the MP for a type I or II.

hangfire762
June 17, 2011, 19:10
You have a good point Freak. I do want to build all three. As far as posting a trade or something, I'm sure I'd need to come up with something else to throw in as well to sweeten the deal a bit. Not many folks would trade a type I or II for a III. But,regardless it'll be another FAL built no matter what type receiver used.
Ya know, I kinda missed chatting with ya'll.

AndyC
June 17, 2011, 19:44
Welcome home! Bet the beers taste good :beer:

STG-98
June 17, 2011, 21:00
Welcome home, and its already been said, but, Thank you for your service to our great country.

I am not an owner of any of the 3 FAL varieties mentioned, BUT I say,
Go with your gut. Get one together, go out and shoot it. Later on you can nitpick and do the swaperoo.

OOT question: No beer at all in the 'stan, eh?

hangfire762
June 18, 2011, 05:47
Thanks for the welcome home guys. It is good to be back. There are some fantastic places there....as far as scenery goes. But, not a place I'd choose for a family vacation ...lol. As for beer there.....nope none. occasionally you do find someone who got a care package with a little smuggled hooch though :) . just a cap full goes a long way in lifting moral.
As for my FAL build.....I'll get everything layed out tomorrow. I need to go through the garage and clean and dust a bit before I start. I kinda feel like a kid that had his favorite toys taken away and now they've been returned...lol.

Buddymack
June 18, 2011, 16:53
For me I love the Izzy HB, but I find at least for me anyway that you kind of have to build them as you can find the parts and as availability allows, I would penny pinch my way through that at the same time build either of the two others..
WELCOME HOME ...
my son is at my house on convalescent leave injured in Afghanistan a couple months ago:wink:

hangfire762
June 18, 2011, 18:21
Hope your son is doing ok Buddymack. I know you and he are glad your spending a little time together. I get to go see my folks in a week or so.

After having thought about things a little. I think I'm gonna get another receiver...a type I or II and build the Rhodie on that. The Belgian I'll build on the upper I have now and I'll put the Izzy on the back burner for a little bit. This way I can build the Izzy with as many Izzy parts as I can find. I may pick up one of the S.A. barrels I saw at APEX for the Rhodie. If I'm gonna do it...do it right....Right?

mashed68
June 18, 2011, 19:19
If you already have a rhodisian then don't build another, build the izzy. I myself am not concerned about tiny cut outs in the upper receiver and would use the type 3 you already have.

hangfire762
June 22, 2011, 19:50
Well, I made up my mind. I bought another receiver and will build the Rhodie AND Izzy when I go back home to Texas in a couple weeks on leave. I had to try one of Coonan's Type 1's. Now I need to see about replacing the long camo stock with a short one.......I have short arms. It's got a good camo pattern though and a unit marking...B61 in light blue paint. The Izzy, I'm gonna try to use as many Izzy parts as I can find. At any rate, I hope to have some photo's to share in a few weeks.

AZ Deuce
June 22, 2011, 20:49
Hangfire762

Welcome home and THANK YOU for your service!

I have a few Rhodie painted stocks, I will see if I have a short one, no guarantee, I even have one, but if I do, it's yours for FREE! I'll go look when I'm done here. I'm glad to see that you decided to with a Type I. I'm one of those anal retentive detail freaks and I would never be happy with a Type III Rhodie! THAT'S JUST NOT RIGHT! I have 5 FALS (two currently at my machinist) 4 of them are Rhodies. The two latest builds are on Type III Coonans, one is being machined into a Type 1.5 for my ultimate Rhodie build, and the other is going to be a Type II 50.63 Congo Para, utilizing a para modified Rhodie lower.......just cause I can.

My first "Rhodie" started out as a Hesse receivered (Type III) G1. The barrel was bad so I bought a chrome lined NBC Imbel barrel. Then I added a SA long stock as I'm 6'4," I then realized...hey I'm halfway to a Rhodie, but it wouldn't look kosher on a Type III receiver, so off to my machinist for the Type I cuts, this was about a year or so before I was made aware of the Type 1.5, if I knew that then, that's what it would be today!

But since I Type ONE'd it, I was stuck (and it still looked better than a Type III!!), but then I learned that the "sanitized" Rhodies with the hole in the magazine well area to remove the SA crest were Belgium Type I receivers I had a local machinist add the hole so now it has a totally unique look to it.

My latest Rhodie is a 17 1/2" barreled Coonan Type I, that I added a R1/Rhodie lower, and grenade sight to, to simulate the Rhodie Tracker....which is basically nothing more than a shortened Rhodesian FN.

The Type III receiver is a good candidate for a 50.63, or any of the TACTICOOL versions, me I'm an old guy (55) and I like the classic late 50s to mid 60s look.....but that's just me. Have fun with your build, and don't forget the handguard ring BEFORE you install the barrel (don't ask how I know!)

hangfire762
June 22, 2011, 21:08
Thanks AZ Deuce. I like the Rhodies. If you do have a short stock I'll trade you. I may go have my type III machined as well,.... like you did. You've got me wanting to do a little research on the type 1.5 receivers. I like to keep things as original as possible. I am debating on using a 17.5 inch barrel or a 21in on this build. I may go with the shorter.

AZ Deuce
June 22, 2011, 21:15
hangfire762

It must have been "meant to be!" I found the box with my stocks/handguards, opened it up, and right on top was a standard length humpback stock, covered in ORIGINAL baby poop, and when I mean covered, I mean like 98% or better! It's my way of saying welcome home, and furthering your Rhodie project, send me a PM with your contact info, and I'll try to get it in the mail this weekend.

AZ Deuce
June 22, 2011, 21:27
The short one is currently my favorite.....probably up until I get my 50.63 built! I like the 50.63s. I had a Century receiver machined into a Type II, and converted it to a Congo Para, but decided to, build a "better one." So I stripped all the para stuff I'd installed about 6 months earlier, re-converted the Type II Century back to a short barreled carbine, and gave it to my son as a house warming present.

He's a AK47 fanatic and has had several custom builds assembled. But he hinted someday he'd like to get or build a FAL, after handling and shooting mine. So being a "good" dad.....I gave him that one.......to draw him away from the communistic dark side, and into the light!

I am NOT an enabler! That's just good parenting! That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

You'll love a short one, and the 50.63s are PLEASANT to shoot, I think that rifle had less felt recoil as a Para, than when it was a carbine.

Hoot G
June 23, 2011, 00:10
hangfire, welcome back!

In a nutshell, the Type 1.5 receiver has the same cuts as a Type 1, but made with a Type 2 cutter, if that makes any sense. The South Africans made their own FAL's that way, and I believe their second contract Belgian rifles were made like that too.

There are a couple of long and very informative RSA/Rhodie threads that you might want to catch up on. Lots of information has come to light since the Rhodie craze hit the Files. :)

goosebrown
June 23, 2011, 00:12
Thanks for serving and welcome back.

I would go Rhodie. You have the baby poop, go with it on a type III.

hangfire762
June 24, 2011, 16:32
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome back. I hope to meet more of you in the future.