PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire subgun

Cava3r4
May 26, 2011, 11:11
anyone know anything about these?
I know its a .45 and uses grease gun magazines, but that is all.
what are or where can the tear down instructions for cleaning?
TIA
Bob

kev
May 26, 2011, 12:24
I had one for awhile, but they've always been a mystery. I don't think you'll find any teardown instructions. You'll just have to have at with screwdrivers. It's put together like any other afterthought POS. IIRC there's one major screw that holds the lower on with an undercut lug and then you can pull the screws from the back of the tube that hold the endcap in. Watch the action spring now! Barrel trunion came out the front the same way. What a stupid way to build a gun.

The cheap capscrews and the Mickey Mouse assembly method is the reason I sold it. I reached a point where I didn't want to own any subguns that weren't original military issue construction. But, in a way I wish I still had the Spitfire. It would be a good base for a builder. The lower itself is fairly substancial and is the 'serialed' MG. Evidently, internals like the bolt and recoil spring assembly can be thrown out and replaced with Greasegun parts. Entire uppers can be made from quality materials to replace the original. I've heard of people putting in the effort to do all of this and even seen some pictures posted, but my gun was sold long before I'd heard of any of that, so I never chased down the details.

The only thing I do remember is that some Spitfires took GG mags with the square catch and some took the mags with the 'D' cut catch,............they would not work with both. You had to figure out which you had and stock up on those mags.

If you can keep them together they seem to run and shoot well. I always wanted to slab some wood grips on mine to make it comfortable to hold. I think that one adjustment would go a long way towards taking away the cheap feel of the thing.

Went back through my files and found a few more notes. Seems the ejectors are commonly broken or missing on these. I've helped a few guys get dimensions for replacements. Feedramps are another thing. Some guns have them, others don't. They all probably need them. Then there's the spacer tube on the left recoil spring guide(sometimes on the right). All this stuff seems to be somewhat critical to function and almost nobody really knows what the scoop is or what 'factory' original configuration is. Plan on lots of tinkering if it hasn't already been done. There's bound to be a Spitfire Group somewhere where all these things have been figured out. I've heard of good running guns that a fun to shoot. I got spooked by all the above and sold mine off before ever even firing it.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/kaveman9/Spitfire.jpg

Outlaw Patriot
May 27, 2011, 17:12
It looks like a thompson and a sten had some sort of ungainly love child.

Was this designed and built soley as a civilian venture? I get that feeling from your post, but you didnt say for sure. Is it full auto? Any other history?

I love obscure guns.

JOHN E
May 27, 2011, 20:05
Spitfire Yahoo group here:
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/SpitfireCarbine/

I looked at one a few weeks ago but didn't shoot it. Looked really rough and reminded me of the old Volunteer Arms carbine.

1gewehr
May 28, 2011, 16:18
There's a fellow who uses one in subgun competitions and does pretty well. Nice, slow rate of fire, decent ergonomics, good sight radius, and I've not seen it jam much.

Cava3r4
May 28, 2011, 17:21
Was this designed and built soley as a civilian venture? I get that feeling from your post, but you didnt say for sure. Is it full auto? Any other history?

yes, civilian. they were made in semi auto and some outfit in Phoenix, AZ...namely Spitfire manufacturing in Phoenix AZ made them. I don't know who did the conversion or if it was built that way. This one is full auto only and has Class III paper for it.

Spitfire MFG is out of business. The guy referenced above on yahoo knows all about them and others like that were copies of each other. He also has the takedown on the weapon in a pdf file.
Apache, and Volunteer are two other brands I guess.

AliYahu
May 29, 2011, 02:06
Most were made as semi-auto open-bolt carbines. The feds declared all of them to be machine guns and subject to the NFA. There are no legal semi-auto Spitfire carbines, unless registered as machine guns!
They used a lot of surplus grease gun parts, but I don't remember what all was M3, M3A1, and Spitfire.

Eli